Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
My friend Tony has a 3D printer a couple of months ago, he found a printing pattern for a beautifully ornate cat mask. He initially printed a couple as wall decorations for friends. I told him if he printed me one big enough to wear, I would come up with a story and a choreography to make a video. We had to go back and forth with dimensions for a bit, but finally made it happen. This is very much the result of what happens when creative people get locked up and start thinking together.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am phobically afraid of heights. Glad you had fun. The museum sounds like more my speed. :)

I don't care for heights, either. But there's something about ziplining that makes me far less afraid.
I'm not sure why.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't care for heights, either. But there's something about ziplining that makes me far less afraid.
I'm not sure why.

You mean compared to standing somewhere high?

Or falling at terminal velocity.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why.
I have an odd relationship with heights. I've never really gotten completely fearless with them, in spite of years spent rock climbing and doing theatrical lighting on some pretty scary catwalks. Those catwalks are where I got the odd relationship. They scared me ****less - about 20' up over hard floor and mounted seating with really crappy railings and no tie-ins. Then they suddenly didn't. I was completely at ease on them, even when they swayed, but would still be nervous on a 14' ladder working over the stage, though that was a much less scary situation.

I love heights, but sometimes they scare the hell outta me.

EDIT: But stuff like ziplining, that's the stuff I love.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure why.
It's truly crippling for me. When I scaled a 21-foot tall obstacle at Warrior Dash, I had to sit down for like five minutes, repeating "What the HELL was I doing up there?! What possessed me?!" And there are a couple that I still hadn't scaled because I have a panic attack every time I try. Like, I might even get all the way to the top and then freeze and can't get myself over and down.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's truly crippling for me. When I scaled a 21-foot tall obstacle at Warrior Dash, I had to sit down for like five minutes, repeating "What the HELL was I doing up there?! What possessed me?!" And there are a couple that I still hadn't scaled because I have a panic attack every time I try. Like, I might even get all the way to the top and then freeze and can't get myself over and down.
What the Hobbit does at mud runs is much more impressive than what I do. I'm just out there playing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You mean compared to standing somewhere high?

Or falling at terminal velocity.

I have an odd relationship with heights. I've never really gotten completely fearless with them, in spite of years spent rock climbing and doing theatrical lighting on some pretty scary catwalks. Those catwalks are where I got the odd relationship. They scared me ****less - about 20' up over hard floor and mounted seating with really crappy railings and no tie-ins. Then they suddenly didn't. I was completely at ease on them, even when they swayed, but would still be nervous on a 14' ladder working over the stage, though that was a much less scary situation.

I love heights, but sometimes they scare the hell outta me.

EDIT: But stuff like ziplining, that's the stuff I love.

I'm okay with certain heights. Observation decks like the Empire State Building and stuff like that I have no problem with, or airplanes etc.
I sure as hell wouldn't go up in a hot air baloon, though.

And I couldn't walk out on that glass walkway thing over the Grand Canyon. Not unless I had been constipated for a while and really had to crap myself.

GrandCanyoneGlassBridge.jpg

Even the picture gives me a little bit of the horrors.

It's definitely the terminal velocity thing. Just plain scares me.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm okay with certain heights. Observation decks like the Empire State Building and stuff like that I have no problem with, or airplanes etc.

And I couldn't walk out on that glass walkway thing over the Grand Canyon. Not unless I had been constipated for a while and really had to crap myself.

View attachment 22893

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

View attachment 22893

Hate planes. That glass walkway over the Grand Canyon is JUST insanity. I did go on top of Empire State Building - yes, the view is cool... but not a good experience (got talked into it by a friend). I never admitted my fear of heights to my father - he used to be a professional pilot, and I am still afraid he might disown me if I tell him.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

View attachment 22893

It is absolutely Awesome!! We were there two years ago. I highly recommend it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hate planes. That glass walkway over the Grand Canyon is JUST insanity. I did go on top of Empire State Building - yes, the view is cool... but not a good experience (got talked into it by a friend). I never admitted my fear of heights to my father - he used to be a professional pilot, and I am still afraid he might disown me if I tell him.
Empire State was pretty cool. The security fence around it was taking away from the height thing.
On the other hand, standing on one bell tower of Notre Dame (yes, that one) and my dad mentioning 'you'd feel it if they rung the bells' did me in. The French are more nonchalant over such things, no huge safety features on the tower.....
WTC was awesome.
And I was having issues climbing up the metal stairs in St Paul's in London. Into the gold sphere above the dome! I thought they would have to rescue me, because those see through metal stairs were not fun!

I love flying, although I don't want to look out the window of the door! You know, it could open and suck me out!
The same way I always really hated the balcony rail of the apartment I grew up in: it was concrete, with a metal extension. And 7 floors off the ground.....I just know that concrete isn't safe!

Then again, I diverted my eye paying a video game with a fictional character walking up the sides of a mesa....and across hanging bridges....

Me and heights....don't go together well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 22893

I’d have a hard time staying calm on that glass walkway, but would enjoy it once I managed to walk out on it. But it’d be stressful the whole time.

Observation decks probably are about the same to me as the hot air balloon. Planes and helicopters are about the same as motorcycles - the height isn’t really an issue. Deep water brings up more acrophobia for me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy flying. Terrified of heights. Being an idiot who doesn't think fear should win. I jumped out of an airplane on my birthday one year. It was also like 4 weeks after finishing a round of chemo, which wasn't smart; I was still pretty weak.
I wanted to puke and/or crap myself the entire time. But I did it.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Empire State was pretty cool. The security fence around it was taking away from the height thing.
On the other hand, standing on one bell tower of Notre Dame (yes, that one) and my dad mentioning 'you'd feel it if they rung the bells' did me in. The French are more nonchalant over such things, no huge safety features on the tower.....
WTC was awesome.
And I was having issues climbing up the metal stairs in St Paul's in London. Into the gold sphere above the dome! I thought they would have to rescue me, because those see through metal stairs were not fun!

I love flying, although I don't want to look out the window of the door! You know, it could open and suck me out!
The same way I always really hated the balcony rail of the apartment I grew up in: it was concrete, with a metal extension. And 7 floors off the ground.....I just know that concrete isn't safe!

Then again, I diverted my eye paying a video game with a fictional character walking up the sides of a mesa....and across hanging bridges....

Me and heights....don't go together well.
Weirdly, the one thing that doesn't hit me with fear of heights is lighthouses. @gpseymour and I must have climbed St. Augustine lighthouse umpteen times - never had a problem. Could stay up there forever. And we had climbed some tall-ish buttes in Wyoming - and that was ok too. And the Inspiration Point (also in Wyoming) - no problem there. Maybe I need to have like a really exhausting climb to someplace, so by the time I get there, I don't care how high it is. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just was told... and then of course I did a silly amount of researching which I shall not admit to just HOW much.....

But....... get ready...... for this.....

"When you have finished brushing, try to spit out the toothpaste and don’t rinse with water. Leaving some toothpaste on your teeth is a really great way to give your teeth some extra ongoing protection."

DID ANYONE ELSE KNOW THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just was told... and then of course I did a silly amount of researching which I shall not admit to just HOW much.....

"When you have finished brushing, try to spit out the toothpaste and don’t rinse with water. Leaving some toothpaste on your teeth is a really great way to give your teeth some extra ongoing protection."

No. I would feel weird not rinsing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I always leave the toothpaste in my mouth when I rinse with mouthwash. Just a little extra minty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions