Last Person Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
finally got to clean out the last closet in my house that my mother-in-law packed full.... all I will say is I had enough paper bags in there to run a rather large grocery store for a couple days.

Also found my 2 missing Jians and the Machete I use to use on the tree farm

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How, do I complain to Microsoft about the speech recognition and calculator that went missing during this windows 10 upgrade fiasco?

Seriously! Now I got a worthless 'math input' gadget that turns squiggles into math symbols....
And my speech to text (ease of access - yeah, RIGHT!) is capluey!

YO, BILL!!! I am Talking to you! Mr Gates! HELLLOOOO!!!!!

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calc is still there, Cortana can do the speech stuff, maybe in time you might try it again. Personally I like Windows 10, much better transition than 8, and runs nicely. But I've been running it since beta and preview.

Set up Speech Recognition - Windows Help

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, but no thanks, I don't need that wench spying on me.
It's supposed to be part of the ease of access, that incidentally works fine on 10 ( I upgraded the laptop, cos the kid said 'it's awesome'. The only time the boy stirred me wrong)

And no, the calculator is done gone....searched every which way, forward and backward.....
I do not like auto updates. There has never been a 'free' thing from Microsoft!

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but no thanks, I don't need that wench spying on me.
It's supposed to be part of the ease of access, that incidentally works fine on 10 ( I upgraded the laptop, cos the kid said 'it's awesome'. The only time the boy stirred me wrong)

And no, the calculator is done gone....searched every which way, forward and backward.....
I do not like auto updates. There has never been a 'free' thing from Microsoft!

Weird, I just typed it in on a few 10 machines and calc. pops up. Maybe there is a install off the store fro free so you can choose which one.

But each to their own, if Win 7 does it for you, may as well hold out till it goes end of life. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You guys should consider Linux.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You guys should consider Linux.
I am really starting to consider it....
But I am mainstream, I am weary of all the stuff I do use being tied to Windows.

(and I hate it that stuff, supposed to be in 7 AND 10 suddenly being gone.)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really starting to consider it....
But I am mainstream, I am weary of all the stuff I do use being tied to Windows.

(and I hate it that stuff, supposed to be in 7 AND 10 suddenly being gone.)

Try Linux for a while and you will suddenly love Windows 10. I see what he's done there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Windows 10 is fairly stable as compared to Windows 8. However many at enterprise level are staying with Win 7.

Reasons:
The free download install is not the same every time, things mess up
Compatibility with existing apps
User inconvenience (There is a learning curve between Win7 and Win 10)

Also: Microsoft is pushing "The Cloud" and it is not something many enterprise level groups trust. I know I don't. You never know who is in the Cloud with you and ownership of files in the Cloud can be an issue, depending on where (Which Country) the Cloud actually is. In a meeting about security with Microsoft they spent 30 minutes showing slides of jhigh fences, barbed wire, guards with dogs and locked door, but never answered one single question related to Cybersecurity

As for Linux, it is more stable and the newer, more enterprise, versions have a rathe nice GUI that previous versions did not have. But I am talking about versions I have experience with like Red Hat (Which is not free) and CentOS (Which is free) and is pretty much Red Hat.

Also, if you are a MAC user, you should know that OSX is pretty much a LINUX based system these days

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Going to put up a new garage door opener today, and tomorrow it's a dump run to get the garage in shape for the summer!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today is my Martial anniversary. Took my first class on April Fools day. (which all my friends find quite appropriate)

Time sure does fly.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Windows 10 is fairly stable as compared to Windows 8. However many at enterprise level are staying with Win 7.

Reasons:
The free download install is not the same every time, things mess up
Compatibility with existing apps
User inconvenience (There is a learning curve between Win7 and Win 10)

Also: Microsoft is pushing "The Cloud" and it is not something many enterprise level groups trust. I know I don't. You never know who is in the Cloud with you and ownership of files in the Cloud can be an issue, depending on where (Which Country) the Cloud actually is. In a meeting about security with Microsoft they spent 30 minutes showing slides of jhigh fences, barbed wire, guards with dogs and locked door, but never answered one single question related to Cybersecurity

As for Linux, it is more stable and the newer, more enterprise, versions have a rathe nice GUI that previous versions did not have. But I am talking about versions I have experience with like Red Hat (Which is not free) and CentOS (Which is free) and is pretty much Red Hat.

Also, if you are a MAC user, you should know that OSX is pretty much a LINUX based system these days
Thanks.
I have 10 on the laptop, upgraded from 8. I had just gotten used to it, then ....oh well, I'll live.
But the desktop runs on 7, works fine (I am still upset over the changes made to movie maker and media player after Vista!)

I found calculator, after all (maybe it was reborn over night, since I turned off the machine)
Speech recognition does not work, still....says that the language isn't there. How is that possible, since I never changed the language in the first place! It was default English, and am I wrong to assume that is should still be default English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions