Last Person Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Got my but kicked in class tonight. Chiped tooth nasty headache broken toe. Great class

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got back from Mexico late Thursday night and had to be at work Friday night. Which means I still haven't had time to give the SCUBA gear a good cleaning or processes the photos. Grrrrr. I'll have to make sure I don't do that to us again.

On the other hand, it'll only be 10 weeks till we go back. :)

Okay I am really jealous. Would love to be cleaning my scuba gear or thinking about cleaning it after diving in Mexico. Very jealous!!! ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am noticing that there is absolutely nothing around other than the shark....and you....in that picture....so....even the fish know better than to swim with sharks :D

What type of shark is that? I know what it isn't but I do not know what it is

It's a nurse shark in the 5-6' range.

View attachment $IMG_0969.jpg

But if you watch this one, you can see that there are plenty of fish (and divers...) around, even with both a 6' Nurse shark and a 4' Gray reef shark. :D

Or this one, where you can see stingrays, remora, and divers, with 8 or 10 8-12' Bull sharks. While they eat. At one point, one of the sharks can be seen grabbing a fish, flipping it up and then catching it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Really had enough of work already this week, too much bureaucratic nonsense, sometimes I wonder if moving into an office environment was a good move. No matter 2.5 hours of training and teaching to look forward to tonight, should be fun and drag me out of this funk.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's a nurse shark in the 5-6' range.

But if you watch this one, you can see that there are plenty of fish (and divers...) around, even with both a 6' Nurse shark and a 4' Gray reef shark. :D

Or this one, where you can see stingrays, remora, and divers, with 8 or 10 8-12' Bull sharks. While they eat. At one point, one of the sharks can be seen grabbing a fish, flipping it up and then catching it.

nurse shark no big deal, 4 foot Gray reef shark, ok your making me nervous, 8 to 12 foot Bull shark...Nope, not going there because that's just plain nuts

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue I hope everything works out with the school problems. Hang in there!!!

Person 1 rectified the situation, but he took complete credit for getting it done, which is a lie but it went the way I want so I will let it go.

Person 2 is so far ignoring me, which is not a good thing, it gives me the right to kick this up the food chain. HE has until COB today before I start that process

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
nurse shark no big deal, 4 foot gray reef shark, ok your making me nervous, 8 to 12 foot bull shark...nope, not going there because that's just plain nuts

:rofl:

Here, how about these?
A Caribbean octopus.
View attachment $IMG_1402.jpg
or a Splendid Toadfish - unique to Cozumel, and somehow able to make croaking noises underwater.
$IMG_1395.jpg
Those more your speed? :)

The sharks aren't a concern. I did get attacked by Damselfish several times, which is always entertaining, had my nails done by a cleaner shrimp, and got chased by a Picasso Triggerfish.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Person 1 rectified the situation, but he took complete credit for getting it done, which is a lie but it went the way I want so I will let it go.

Person 2 is so far ignoring me, which is not a good thing, it gives me the right to kick this up the food chain. HE has until COB today before I start that process

Ah....I see you warming up that kicking boot......
Put your knee brace on! We don't want you to hurt youself!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Here, how about these?
A Caribbean octopus.

or a Splendid Toadfish - unique to Cozumel, and somehow able to make croaking noises underwater.

The sharks aren't a concern. I did get attacked by Damselfish several times, which is always entertaining, had my nails done by a cleaner shrimp, and got chased by a Picasso Triggerfish.

I have an overall issue with the ocean, I have a big problem with being able to stand on the shore, master of the planet, ruler of all I survey, top of the food chain and then...step into the ocean and that all goes away and I become part of the food chain

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an overall issue with the ocean, I have a big problem with being able to stand on the shore, master of the planet, ruler of all I survey, top of the food chain and then...step into the ocean and that all goes away and I become part of the food chain

People think that, but it just isn't true. We are apex predators, on land or sea. And there is nothing in the water that looks at us and sees food. Nothing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
People think that, but it just isn't true. We are apex predators, on land or sea. And there is nothing in the water that looks at us and sees food. Nothing.

I realize that, but you forgot to invite the sharks to that meeting so the mistakes they make can be fatal...and I can't breath water so......I leave the oceans to you

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I realize that, but you forgot to invite the sharks to that meeting so the mistakes they make can be fatal...and I can't breath water so......I leave the oceans to you

Shark "attacks" are virtually always a mistake. Person at the surface looking and acting like an injured seal (or some such) triggers the bite (which the shark then generally spits out - we don't taste good).

So the moral is to get down under the surface with me, where it's safe. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shark "attacks" are virtually always a mistake. Person at the surface looking and acting like an injured seal (or some such) triggers the bite (which the shark then generally spits out - we don't taste good).

So the moral is to get down under the surface with me, where it's safe. :D

Nope I magnanimously give you any part of the ocean that was set aside for me. I don't even want to wade in it. Those ever-so-helpful workers at the stingray enclosure and Sea World San Diego made sure of that

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here, how about these?
A Caribbean octopus.

did you catch any fish ,or is that one of the things they get mad if you try to do

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm trying to change my diet back to what it was pre-Christmas and I am now having CARB cravings...and I know I'm not hungry I just ate an apple but DAMN I want something carb based..... apparently I'm a Carb Addict as well

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
did you catch any fish ,or is that one of the things they get mad if you try to do

About 90% of the dive sites off Cozumel are inside the marine park, where no fishing is allowed, except for Lionfish hunting. I'm happy to say that efforts to control the Lionfish seem to be working, as we only saw (and shot) three of them during this visit. In the past, I've shot up to 15 in a single dive.

Other than shooting Lionfish (which is akin to picking up litter on a hiking trail) I harm nothing. I'd no sooner damage the reef or shoot the fish than I would carve my name into a tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions