Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are using windows, you have some video editing software.
My husband bought me a Corel program, but I don't really like the way their stuff operates.
Plus I don't really do video.
I made this one 6 years ago, just with photos, but that was on an old Windows Vista version (the movie maker was easy to use, but with each 'improvement' the apps suck more.)
I used to love Windows Live Video Editor, but they changed it and removed some of the features. I've used - and loved - Adobe Premier, but that's WAAAAY overkill unless you're doing multi-camera work. I recently picked up Magix's Movie Edit Pro, but haven't had an excuse to use it.

My long time go-to for putting music, intro, and outro on a single clip is....PowerPoint. It turned out to be easy to work with, if you are used to using the animations and timings.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im trying to do it in one take. i do not have any editing software yet. im really just trying to figure out the process of making the videos. lighting, b-roll, editing bumpers. audio i am well familiar with since i have done a lot of music and sound work in the past. but the modern stuff does make me feel old.
Doing multiple takes requires something to disguise the cut - I cover some options below. If you are used to talking to groups, I find it easiest to act like I'm talking a live group when I'm recording a video. In a live group, if I screw up, I have to deal with it, so I do the same thing in video. If it's funny, I make fun of it. If it's confusion, I clarify it.

If you're doing a long, complex topic, then a second camera might be the best answer. Another way to cover a fix is to cut to a visual aid. Or you can just use a fade-through effect to make the edit clear, but not a jump-cut.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday's Open Mat roll was a good reminder why you shouldn't take off two weeks over the holidays from training...major suckthitude on my part and parts of my body are hurting today I never even knew I had.......

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have been broke in college if this had existed:

F Minus by Tony Carrillo for Jan 7, 2018 | GoComics.com
Mind you, I was broke in college without it, so...

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
good practices this morning! large class, lots of fun!

any ideas on games for kids classes..? not long games,
just games to make them think a little bit more..

Sensei says.....Simon says but with karate techniques

Name a technique...you go down the line and you have 3 seconds to name a technique then perform it. If you can’t name a technique or do one already named you are out. Last person standing wins.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are used to talking to groups, I find it easiest to act like I'm talking a live group when I'm recording a video.
I think this is part of the problem. I've been talking in front of groups since 1987. There is something about pacing and movement to address the group. I have been trying the typical Youtube format of sitting in a chair and talking direct into the camera. It's interesting on how that makes such a difference. I think most people would find it easy to talk to a camera but would rather cut off a finger that speak in front of a crowd. And here I am having trouble with the camera. Lol

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been talking in front of groups since 1987. There is something about pacing and movement to address the group. I have been trying the typical Youtube format of sitting in a chair and talking direct into the camera

Sounds like you just need to get up and move around then

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is part of the problem. I've been talking in front of groups since 1987. There is something about pacing and movement to address the group. I have been trying the typical Youtube format of sitting in a chair and talking direct into the camera. It's interesting on how that makes such a difference. I think most people would find it easy to talk to a camera but would rather cut off a finger that speak in front of a crowd. And here I am having trouble with the camera. Lol
Most folks struggle with either, but you're right - most fear a group more.

I don't do terribly well sitting and speaking. I'm not as good at that, even with a group. Many of my videos were taken with a selfie-stick, while out walking or hiking (a very different feel when I'm active), using an image stabilization app. When I film in my "studio", I find it takes a fair amount of concentration to stay in-frame. I have the same issue when I try to video a training seminar. I even had one where I thought it would be easy, because the room actually had a small stage. During filming, I left the stage (and camera range) at least 4 times while talking.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey...its 1 degree..... but not windy...so its warmer that the last few days
We were almost that cold: 5 degrees at about 8:00. We're up to 12 now. Unfortunately, it won't get warm enough to unfreeze the cold water pipes today. I'm heading into the basement to see if warming the one section I can get to has any effect.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ah phuey....frozen pipes are no fun.

But why aren't yours insulated?!!!
they sell that stuff even here in Alabama!
(and when the temps dip a shade below 33, they freak out that the pipes could freeze!!! :D)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah phuey....frozen pipes are no fun.

But why aren't yours insulated?!!!
they sell that stuff even here in Alabama!
(and when the temps dip a shade below 33, they freak out that the pipes could freeze!!! :D)
Some of them are. Some aren't, and aren't very accessible. In this case, the problem was that we ran out of fuel oil unexpectedly (the painters misplaced my measuring stick, and we'd expected it to last through January). We can easily keep the upstairs warm (space/baseboard heaters and wood stove), but the downstairs goes mostly unheated. With that, the insulation we have just wasn't enough.

At some point, we'll likely get someone in to insulate more of the pipes than we've been able to. Just a money thing.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Moved about half a cord of wood today. Moving the other half tomorrow. Getting this year's supply consolidated to make room for a cord being delivered next weekend to season for next year. Getting it early, because I got this one a bit late, and it's still not fully seasoned. By the end of the winter, there should be room to go ahead and get at least another half-cord put in to season for next year.
You kept complaining about not getting enough exercise and not wanting to go far to get it. Well, here you go - exercise delivered at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions