Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Tames D, post: 1813017, member: 8672"]I'll bring the wine :)[/QUOTE]

Now you're talking. :)

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone of my fellow martial artists have to deal with a partner who claims to understand your love of martial arts and says they want you to do it, but then puts you on guilt trips about it, how you spend "too much time" doing it? This has caused problems for me ever since I started dating! LOL Just curious how you handle it. I mean, do you cave and say "fine, I'll go to 2 classes a week instead of 3?" Or do you say "tough S, suck it up and deal?" Or do you say "nice dating you, I am going to go find someone who is mature enough to handle it now?"

To be fair I know that relationships require attention. I think part of the problem is the way the issue is addressed. Anyway, before I share my thoughts, I would like to know what others think.

Just my 2 cents, but a while ago I was dating someone
who turned out to be a putz anyway - but from Day 1,
I told him about my martial arts training and schedule
and made it very clear that if that was going to be a
problem to please tell me because it wasn't likely to
change. He said he was fine with it and that lasted
all of 3 weeks before it was something he harped on
constantly.. thankfully, it's also where I started seeing
more of his putzy self so I didn't stress out about it..

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's the insecure people who get clingy.

And it really does not matter what it is.
Ladies who are into horses have to deal with that a lot as well...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone of my fellow martial artists have to deal with a partner who claims to understand your love of martial arts and says they want you to do it, but then puts you on guilt trips about it, how you spend "too much time" doing it? This has caused problems for me ever since I started dating! LOL Just curious how you handle it. I mean, do you cave and say "fine, I'll go to 2 classes a week instead of 3?" Or do you say "tough S, suck it up and deal?" Or do you say "nice dating you, I am going to go find someone who is mature enough to handle it now?"

To be fair I know that relationships require attention. I think part of the problem is the way the issue is addressed. Anyway, before I share my thoughts, I would like to know what others think.

My ex-wife did this. I cut down to make her happy. I eventually quit entirely to make her happy. I eventually divorced her to make ME happy and returned to training.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
My ex-wife did this. I cut down to make her happy. I eventually quit entirely to make her happy. I eventually divorced her to make ME happy and returned to training.

My ex-wife was the same. I had my life whittled down to a point where I did nothing but go to and from work. And even then, it still wasn't enough.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a weird feeling. Isn't it? The house seems a lot bigger. We have two out of the house, as well. But fortunately, we had a third rugrat to keep us from feeling too old! :)

Our two come back to visit pretty often. So, we are not feeling "lonely" yet!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, but no worries, it was going to end anyways, and it was many years ago...there was a fiancée after her and another fiancée that became my wife after that. I have made many a joke about the first marriage over the years.

My wife these days just tells everyone I'm martial arts crazy...and many of those she tells this to, live in China...and now I have our youngest doing it to (Aikido) :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, but no worries, it was going to end anyways, and it was many years ago...there was a fiancée after her and another fiancée that became my wife after that. I have made many a joke about the first marriage over the years

I am sure that maybe I will someday myself. Then again I kind of already do. People ask me, "Why did your first marriage fail?"

I say, "Because my wife lived up to her maiden name too well."

They say, "What is it?"

And I say, "Child!"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am sure that maybe I will someday myself. Then again I kind of already do. People ask me, "Why did your first marriage fail?"

I say, "Because my wife lived up to her maiden name too well."

They say, "What is it?"

And I say, "Child!"

I use to tell people I was incredibly selfish and inconsiderate....I switched from working second shift to first shift so I was home in the evenings...and it cut to much into her dating :D

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, man...yesterday I banged out 54 posts. I didn't even realize that. I feel pretty sluggish today!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feeling so exhausted today. No idea why. I got to bed early enough. Oh well. At least there is no part-time job or freelance work tonight.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
They need to have nap rooms at jobs.

Not really, but it sounded funny. Plus I could use one. VERY hard to keep my eyes open.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some research supports your wishes. My substitute is an afternoon cup of coffee. I'd rather have the nap.

Coffee has never had the effect on me that it does on most people. Well, that's not true: it did once, when I had an entire pot of it on my own.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coffee has never had the effect on me that it does on most people. Well, that's not true: it did once, when I had an entire pot of it on my own.
It rarely has a huge effect on me. I can drink it late and it won't keep me up. But some days a second cup is like being on crack. My wife actually seems to be amused by those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions