Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So Sue and I went and hung out at the animal shelter for about 5 hours on Friday. Met a bunch of dogs, but one fella clearly wanted to adopt us. So he did.
View attachment 20700
This is Rowdy. He's about one year old, Australian Shepard mix. Thing is, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he'd be at the pound. He is gentle, gets along with the cats, and the grandkids. He knows his name, sits, and shakes. He walks on a leash without pulling. He ignores dogs barking at us when we walk, although he would really really like to go herd the neighbors horses. He does well in the car, although he's a little weird; he's the only dog I've ever known who sits in the floor instead of putting his head out the window.
Took him to the dog park today, and he'd listen even when playing with the other dogs. He'll play fetch for hours, and drops the ball at my feet without wrestling.
He's an absolute charmer. My guess is someone must have moved or something and been given no choice but to give him up. Nobody would spend the time it takes to socialize a dog this well and then drop them off at the pound because they lost interest.
Lucky dog.
and the pooch is awesome, too! ;)

Yeah, people are astounding some times.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Sue and I went and hung out at the animal shelter for about 5 hours on Friday. Met a bunch of dogs, but one fella clearly wanted to adopt us. So he did.
View attachment 20700
This is Rowdy. He's about one year old, Australian Shepard mix. Thing is, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he'd be at the pound. He is gentle, gets along with the cats, and the grandkids. He knows his name, sits, and shakes. He walks on a leash without pulling. He ignores dogs barking at us when we walk, although he would really really like to go herd the neighbors horses. He does well in the car, although he's a little weird; he's the only dog I've ever known who sits in the floor instead of putting his head out the window.
Took him to the dog park today, and he'd listen even when playing with the other dogs. He'll play fetch for hours, and drops the ball at my feet without wrestling.
He's an absolute charmer. My guess is someone must have moved or something and been given no choice but to give him up. Nobody would spend the time it takes to socialize a dog this well and then drop them off at the pound because they lost interest.
I'm betting he's spent all his time at the pound reading canine self-help books, hoping a charming family with a martial arts background would show up. Good choice for both sides.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
View attachment 20700

And my first response was what is an Australian Sheppard?

But it is an American breed. Which explaines why I have never heard of it.

Cool dog by the way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And my first response was what is an Australian Sheppard?

But it is an American breed. Which explaines why I have never heard of it.

Cool dog by the way.
Yeah, we have a way of doing that, DB. There are several breeds named after countries they didn't come from, and in all cases I'm aware of, it's an American breed. Because we own the world and get to decide where the hell everyone comes from, apparently. Or perhaps it's that in our culture people will buy anything that sounds more foreign before they'll buy something that sounds prosaically local.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, we have a way of doing that, DB. There are several breeds named after countries they didn't come from, and in all cases I'm aware of, it's an American breed. Because we own the world and get to decide where the hell everyone comes from, apparently. Or perhaps it's that in our culture people will buy anything that sounds more foreign before they'll buy something that sounds prosaically local.

It looks a bit like a border collie.
images

Which is a popular Australian sheep dog.

So mabye described as an Australian sheppard there at one point.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks a bit like a border collie.
images

Which is a popular Australian sheep dog.

So mabye described as an Australian sheppard there at one point.

Except that we also have the Border Collie here. That probably is the origin of the name, though. Maybe "Australian Shepherd" is just the name someone came up with for a dog that looked like a Border Collie, to sell it to people that liked the Border Collie.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
View attachment 20700

That's just awesome.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is Rowdy. He's about one year old, Australian Shepard mix. Thing is, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he'd be at the pound.

Because his real name is Rex.

He is a well known Con-Dog whose specialty is infiltrating households stealing your identity and running up massive debt on credit cards by shopping at on-line pet stores for gifts for the many b*****s he keeps on the side.

He is also known for setting up back alley fights and gambling.

Be advised he is wanted in 9 states.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good afternoon, MT.

Ah, just when you think it's safe to post in the Wing Chun board...

When will I ever learn? LOL

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got enough rest last night, but I have been fighting off sleep all day.

Sometimes I am in a fog until I start driving in. Then it lifts. Today...it just never lifted.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A tablespoon of cinnamon is supposed to be great for energy and increasing alertness.

Great for joints, energy, immunity, all kinds of things.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A tablespoon of cinnamon is supposed to be great for energy and increasing alertness.

Great for joints, energy, immunity, all kinds of things.
Just be sure to mix it well into some kind of liquid. Look up the 'cinnamon challenge' on youtube to see how nasty and uncomfortable it is to try and "eat" a tablespoon of cinnamon. It's awful, and makes you feel like you are going to suffocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions