Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a dentist appointment today...I hate going to the dentist.... then work....it just keeps gettin' better...woohoo.....

Hey, it's better than what I have: Mediation Matters appointment with my ex regarding our daughters. Yay!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dang, everyone must have daytime appointments today! I have not seen this thread so vacant in a long time!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Practiced my forms out on the Empire State Plaza on lunch. I went so late that there were hardly any people out there except a crew of guys doing some construction. Naturally they looked at me and did all the goofy bird screech-esque Bruce Lee kung fu movie noises, but somehow I have never been bothered by things like that. Usually I am the one guy sitting alone in a corner at parties, but for some reason I can do my forms anywhere.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not marital arts, but I was looking around the web for yoga routines and exercises for arthritis to possible add to what I already do, I have a routine, 2 actually that work well for me, but I wanted to see if there was something else that might help...

what I discovered was that there are a whole lot of people out there in their 20s and 30s who have no idea what arthritis is like offering one size fits all routines to people with arthritis.....now don't get me wrong, they could be very qualified, and incredibly flexible, yoga people, but they are clueless when it comes to applying their yoga to inflexible people with arthritis...they also don't seem to understand that arthritis can effect different people differently

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Holy cow, man. I was just reading the rules about the Last Person thread. Closed after 10,000 posts?!?!?!?!?!? I thought it closed at the end of every month! We aren't even 25% of the way there yet!
Post more!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Definition of a good couple days off -
Go see Santana outdoors on a good night.
Your spouse washes your car. Then, up the mountain for a picnic!

DayOffCropped.jpg (Sometimes you just get lucky)

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, man. I was just reading the rules about the Last Person thread. Closed after 10,000 posts?!?!?!?!?!? I thought it closed at the end of every month! We aren't even 25% of the way there yet!
Get posting!

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not marital arts, but I was looking around the web for yoga routines and exercises for arthritis to possible add to what I already do, I have a routine, 2 actually that work well for me, but I wanted to see if there was something else that might help...

what I discovered was that there are a whole lot of people out there in their 20s and 30s who have no idea what arthritis is like offering one size fits all routines to people with arthritis.....now don't get me wrong, they could be very qualified, and incredibly flexible, yoga people, but they are clueless when it comes to applying their yoga to inflexible people with arthritis...they also don't seem to understand that arthritis can effect different people differently
I've got a friend who is a yoga instructor, and I end up following some of their discussions. (There's a surprising amount of overlap with martial arts instruction. Dance is another area I've found a lot of overlap...) A really big issue at the moment in their circles is people doing extreme poses, that really hit and go beyond the limits of flexibility. They're getting people hurt by putting them in poses that their bodies can't support. My question to them at one point was simple: if they're teaching yoga to make people healthier and their getting people hurt... is their yoga really doing what it's supposed to?

I've noticed that a lot don't recognize different bodies and natural limits... especially of folks who are perhaps not "ideal yoga students."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Time for bed when you pour yourself a drink ad it turns out to be Ginger Ale and Tonic....
Well past bed time!

deflect->atemi

White Belt
Reaction score
Rust....

on the frame of my Tacoma (previous owner lived in Ohio) and on the 4-month old exhaust clamp;

on the flange of the inducer assembly in the gas pack since Pulte (a despicable builder that's still in business) hired a cheap HVAC contractor that decided to put the HVAC equipment in the outdoors. Accessibility at the cost of longevity.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've got a friend who is a yoga instructor, and I end up following some of their discussions. (There's a surprising amount of overlap with martial arts instruction. Dance is another area I've found a lot of overlap...) A really big issue at the moment in their circles is people doing extreme poses, that really hit and go beyond the limits of flexibility. They're getting people hurt by putting them in poses that their bodies can't support. My question to them at one point was simple: if they're teaching yoga to make people healthier and their getting people hurt... is their yoga really doing what it's supposed to?

I've noticed that a lot don't recognize different bodies and natural limits... especially of folks who are perhaps not "ideal yoga students."

Exactly.

My wife has treated a few with "Yoga injuries" that were pretty bad. Some of what I see in yoga today reminds me of what I see in Modern Wushu. They are making the body do things that it simply is not designed to do.

I've been in and out of yoga for years and I have often wondered why there are so many "1 size fits all" yoga classes out there when no 2 people are a like. Iyengar appears to acknowledge that not everyone is the same, and there are a few others that do as well, but a whole lot of other style, and teachers, do not. And this became incredibly clear to me when arthritis showed up and said hello.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yoga has helped me out a lot with balance.

Mind you, I have never done a full-blown Yoga class...just the 90 minute Yoga X workout that came with P90X...but still. If you can maintain balance in those positions, then you can definitely maintain it while you have both feet on the ground and are trying to stay rooted.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have posted almost as much as GP Seymour (as of this writing anyway). Although I enjoy his contributions, I hope he is out of town/busy/whatever because I would like to say that, just once, I surpassed him as top poster of the month...even if I didn't wind up winning the prize when the month closed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions