Kenpo vs Kempo

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone I know it's just spelling differences between these 2. However, there are two kenpo schools near me, one is Ed Parker style and the other is chinese 5 animals Kempo. I was wondering if any of you study either of these arts and what its like? Also how does it compare to other arts you've done and would you recommend it for me? Thanks in advance.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
learn both if you can and if you cant which ever one you choose will be a good choice - but it all really depends on whats your goal.

i have a friend that always tells me that he wants to come down and work out with me to get in shape and so on ... but then he tells me he dont want to learn nothing traditional no katas or techniques he just wants to learn how to kill or mame if he needs to , i just smile and tell em my doors are open if you wanna come down and get a work out on.

when i do stretching stances basics blocks kicks punches katas techniques box kickbox judo etc etc etc i sweat and feel hella good when im done - to me thats a work out

you gotta really ask your self what are your intentions :shooter:

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I study SKK, im guessing it is the same or similar to Chinese 5 animal kempo. I love this art, it is the only one ive studied besides BJJ , so my experience is limited, but i still feel it is a great art. the workouts are killer as well

B

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with the Intructor...Go watch a few classes and determine which personality best suits you...THat would be my first thought....
Have you any MA experience or is this a new endeavor for you?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
See if you can do a trial month at each school. Go to both schools each week, maybe one on Monday, one on Wednesday, and see which one you look the most forward to attending the next week.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See if you can do a trial month at each school. Go to both schools each week, maybe one on Monday, one on Wednesday, and see which one you look the most forward to attending the next week.

seconded.

The quality of the teacher and training is more important than the style, usually. Also the two systems probably take a pretty different approach to learning so you need to find out what fits your personality/learning process too.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When Kenpo/ Kempo was written in Chinese language? ...each translater may interpet that way is was written as seen by them.

Therefore you have two different spellings of the same meaning.

Kenpo/Kempo- is like karate - which has many styles and systems.

One is not better than the other....it is the person or persons who train in each that makes it work.

You Go or He go, could be written in Chinese the same way? (not an expert in chinese written language.)

Aloha ( means Welcome, or Good-bye)...depends if you are coming or going.... also the Hawaiian language has only 12 letters..

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far guys that is awesome. In the past about 2 years ago give or take, I studied some northern shaolin wushu and before that I did ITA taekwondo for a year. Both styles sound good from what i've read but is Ed Parker's system better for combat possibly? Combat is not my first concern to be honest as I never believed it was too difficult to be able to defend yourself if you have the righ mindset and a few skills.

Latest Discussions