ok...I'm confused

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ta Mo teaches the Shaolin monks

Aaaaah maybe…. Likely no… or teaches them what?

Shaolin is great. Shaolin is cool. Shaolin is the Sun Source of martial arts.

Well of course, you mean you DOUBT THIS :uhyeah:

Obviously that is not true and there are historical records to prove it

Ninjas (sic) are pretty cool, too.

Well DUH, of course Ninja are cool :D
But sadly there appears to be no Ninja link here :uhyeah:

Vigorous handwaving, offering of Kool Aid, cloud shaped drawings.

Lets leave David Koresh and the Branch Davidians out of this, they have little or nothing to do with Chinese martial arts, kenpo/kempo and that’s my story and I am sticking to it :supcool:

My teacher's teacher's teacher inherits the Real Shaolin Traditions.

Doubtful, unless your teacher’s teacher is a VERY old Chinese guy

The Keeper's of the Flame are Billy Bob's School of Kempo Ryu Bujutsu Ninja Fu Fighting Concepts.
I am a First Degree Black Sash under Sensei Sifu Grandmaster Billy Bob

HEY!! :eye-popping: now let’s just leave Billy Bob out of this OK :rpo: :D

So far the Historical Chinese origin of Kenpo/Kempo appears to be the Tang Dynasty which coincidentally is the same dynasty that Shaolin is actually written about. But considering the closed nature of Shaolin at the time it does not seem likely to me that Kempo/Kenpo is from Shaolin

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you

I would like to see the actual Kanji, I can't figure it out but my wife could

Scroll down here for the karate / karate homonym characters. It's actually an Aikido site, but there's an aside about that interesting change the karate people made.

Again I need to see the Kanji because Chuan fa Tan Shou does not tranlate to Law of the fist China hand.

In Mandarin

"Law of the fist" is pretty much "Quan Fa" and "China hand" would be "Zhong guo Zhang" and all together it is more likely "Zhong Guo Quan Fa" if you want "Law of the fist China hand".
Maybe this would help. I think the problem is that although the four characters would be translated quán fǎ táng shǒu in Mandarin, it's essentially a strictly Japanese idiom, and would be more commonly written some other way in Chinese.
As to Tang, without the characters or the tone I am clueless.

And Thank You very much for the link

No problemo. Pardon me while I hijack this thread. I finally have some time on my hands again.

Matt

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Scroll down here for the karate / karate homonym characters. It's actually an Aikido site, but there's an aside about that interesting change the karate people made.

Maybe this would help. I think the problem is that although the four characters would be translated quán fǎ táng shǒu in Mandarin, it's essentially a strictly Japanese idiom, and would be more commonly written some other way in Chinese.

No problemo. Pardon me while I hijack this thread. I finally have some time on my hands again.

Matt

Thank You, this is what I need

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back to your original question (before the chinese character discussion :D). Try Professor John Bishop's home page and see this chart: lineage

It helped me and I do kempo. But got separated from my teacher years ago, so never got this all straight until seeing Prof Bishop's work. BTW, if you compare this with Flying Crane's prose explanation, I think you'll find them very close. But it's late and I haven't read the whole thread that carefully. ;)

Latest Discussions