Chinese Kenpo/Kempo or Kung Fu?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's change it up a bit. Would you consider Shotokan more linear than circular? How about some of the other traditional Japanese styles? Remember, we're not looking at one side in a vacuum, we're comparing Japanese to Chinese. I'm curious as to what the answers might be.

Definitely more linear. Every block is a strike, every strike a block etc. the one and three step sparring kumite drills are all linear in my memory moving straight back and forth.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
I trained with a shotukan guy and he was more powerful than me but my movement was more fluid and my angles in sparring ended up being far superior to his. Having said that...let me say this...he was very linear but did incorporate a lot of angles in his techniques including circular techniques and movement but...again my shaolin kempo had more.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Definitely more linear. Every block is a strike, every strike a block etc. the one and three step sparring kumite drills are all linear in my memory moving straight back and forth.

Definately agree with you there! I remember someone that used to spar like that, and then, somehow, he became more circular...hmmm. Shotokan does have it's place though. It gives a great foundation to build upon. I always told people from other styles that wanted to try out a class with me to never forget what they learned because all I want to do with SKK was to build upon it. I think I did my job right as an instructor...

Latest Discussions