Videos and General Shape

JesterX

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, if I offend someone here, but I think it needs to be discussed.

I've been watching several MA videos lately. Some of these videos are total gems.

But I can't say that all Kempo practicionners are very slim/in good physical shape. Some of them are even high ranked individuals.

I mean, do you think that these people practice as much as their students? I'm not sure about that. From my experience of Kempo, it's physically impossible to gain fat if you train 2-3 hours per week, it's just too much demanding on the body.

What is wrong in those videos? Yes, I know that when you grow older, you don't have the energy to train as much as when young but still, when I see videos of other martial arts, it's not as bad.

Let's discuss.

OP
J

JesterX

White Belt
Reaction score
ooouch!!
Hey I resemble that!!

If true, what are the main reason? Only aging? Or is it only a genetic factor? Perhaps a north American diet issue?

The real question is: Is every middle-aged men susceptible? (No matter how much they train?) or is it a lack of motivation/training?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been watching several MA videos lately. Some of these videos are total gems.

But I can't say that all Kempo practicionners are very slim/in good physical shape. Some of them are even high ranked individuals.

I mean, do you think that these people practice as much as their students? I'm not sure about that. From my experience of Kempo, it's physically impossible to gain fat if you train 2-3 hours per week, it's just too much demanding on the body.

What is wrong in those videos? Yes, I know that when you grow older, you don't have the energy to train as much as when young but still, when I see videos of other martial arts, it's not as bad.

Let's discuss.

I would imagine that its going to depend on the person, but I would hope that the folks that we see in the videos are still training hard. As for the weight gain, I'm afraid that I disagree with your analogy. Working out is only one part of keeping weight under control. The other part is eating right. In other words, even if you work out, as you said, 2-3 hrs a week, but ate fast food 1-2 times a day, every week, then no, no matter how hard you work out, you will either a) not lose weight, or b) you'll keep things balanced. What do I mean by balanced? If you weight 230lbs, the workout will probably compensate for the junk that you eat, but you probably wont lose any more, until you change your eating habits.

Now, change your eating, and yes, those 2-3 martial arts sessions, in addition to a weight lifting routine, will show some great results.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If true, what are the main reason? Only aging? Or is it only a genetic factor? Perhaps a north American diet issue?

The real question is: Is every middle-aged men susceptible? (No matter how much they train?) or is it a lack of motivation/training?

It can be both. In some cases like SGM Parker, he had sleep apnea (which my dad also has) and one of the side effects of that is that because your body keeps waking itself up to breath you release ALOT of cortisol through the night which in turn causes you to gain alot of fat around the midsection.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fully agree with MJS on this...Intake is the biggest thing....It is easy to justify that big mack when you did a hour or two workout...But if you're intake is 2000 cal's and you're burning 1500...not rocket science here....
For me P90X is my savior...I am not doing the meal plan but really watch what I eat and am doing ok..
But your point is a valid one.....As I got older I started getting a WTH attitude..I'm over 50 not single who cares......dangerous place to be.........
Anyway... rambling here.....
peace!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

Let's discuss.

i hope nobody minds the input of a non-kempo guy here.

i currently train MA for about 7-8hrs a week, in addition to strength training 2x a week, & if i don't pay attention to my diet i will still add fat. it's a matter of genetics (at 200lbs, i am the runt of my family by FAR), metabolism slowing as you age, & my love of ice cream & triple chocolate pie from waffle house.

i've also noticed that as i've aged, not only has my metabolism slowed but i've taken on these pesky things called responsibilities, plus i have several chronic injuries & pains i have to train around. this makes it very hard to train everything i want to/should. so i do think that a MA instrtuctor should be in good, basic physical condition. however if the guy doesn't look like a fitness model or a professional athlete that is certainly forgivable.

jf

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Part of what happens is efficiency requiring less energy to do the job. Years ago when I used to be a swamper on a garbage truck, I was completely exausted after my shift. After a few weeks, I became much more efficient at the job and used far less energy to do the same job and thus burned fewer calories to get the same thing accomplished. After a while, one will start to de-condition and use far less energy and actually get in worse "shape" doing the exact same thing over and over. Fewer calories are burned etc. as the body adapts to the demand that is placed on it.

If you are burning fewer calories than you used to and eating the same you will gain weight. If you are getting older and your metabolism is slowing down as well, you will gain even more. Not much for it. There have been many hefty martial artists in history Choki Motobu had a pretty big gut on him. Hung I Hsiang, Wang Shu Chin, Sammo Hung, etc. were/are pretty big guys that could move well despite their weight.

That said, I think being trim is better. I know that when I'm lighter I move and feel better than when I'm heavier. Well, I guess it's time for me to hit the Salads again for a while. ;)

Last edited:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Part of what happens is efficiency requiring less energy to do the job. Years ago when I used to be a swamper on a garbage truck, I was completely exausted after my shift. After a few weeks, I became much more efficient at the job and used far less energy to do the same job and thus burned fewer calories to get the same thing accomplished. After a while, one will start to de-condition and use far and actually get in worse "shape" doing the exact same thing over and over. Fewer calories are burned etc. as the body adapts to the demand that is placed on it.

If you are burning fewer calories than you used to and eating the same you will gain weight. If you are getting older and your metabolism is slowing down as well, you will gain even more. Not much for it. There have been many hefty martial artists in history Choki Motobu had a pretty big gut on him. Hung I Mien, Wang Shu Chin, Sammo Hung, etc. were/are pretty big guys that could move well despite their weight.

That said, I think being trim is better. I know that when I'm lighter I move and feel better than when I'm heavier. Well, I guess it's time for me to hit the Salads again for a while. ;)

that is another really good point...& the main reason i try not to get very good at raquetball.

jf

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Let's discuss.

When I was in college, I got a job loading and unloading trucks at UPS. I got the job in October, and by the time I saw my parents at Christmastime, I was 36 pounds lighter than the previous time I had seen them. By Spring Break, I had gained about 10 of it back, still doing the same job. The difference was, I had learned how to do the job while expending less energy. My body had adapted and was no longer in shock. I levelled off at about 25 pounds lighter than my "normal" and actually had to gain weight for my shodan test so that I would have the stamina reserves to finish it. (Ahhh, the good ole days!)

JDOKAN mentioned P90X, which is built on a principle called muscle confusion. Personal trainers around the world tout the benefits of "shocking" your system to achieve results.

I agree that slim and trim is better, but I also know that after 25 years of practicing martial arts, my body has pretty well adapted to the demands of MA training. At this point, it is all about the diet.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bottom line IMO is that "martial arts" alone is insufficient for physical conditioning. If you want to be "in shape" you need to be doing enough of the right sort of activity. MA can be part of that program but the average MA class 2-3 times a week is not going to be enough (again IMO).

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score

Let's discuss.

It could just be the case that these practitioners are comfortable with where they’re at and they’re focusing more on the mental technical side. A lot of these people are probably instructors and spend most their days instructing. I imagine after teaching several classes a night/day each week I would find it hard to find time to develop myself.