If you left the US ...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... where would you live instead?

New Zealand's been posted twice - are there particular reasons for NZ specifically? Other than Hobbits, I mean. :D

Note: This thread inspired by another thread posted by Bob Hubbard.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it would be Australia or Korea again both have certain aspect that I would enjoy.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, if I can just win the lotto so I can get a passport and all the fees covered.....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New Zealand is beautiful.

I wonder what will happen when one day people wake up and realize that there is a revolution going on, or will everyone just lie down and say it was a good run and just like all the empires in the past, our time has come and gone?

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hows the economy there?

I'm thinking maybe Ireland? :D
A revolution is already underway there ... see how successful it is against a world superpower?

Not that I wouldn't like to visit, but ... heh heh ... good luck with that.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A revolution is already underway there ... see how successful it is against a world superpower?

Not that I wouldn't like to visit, but ... heh heh ... good luck with that.
Well lass I'd be just returning to me roots s'all. :D Besoides, ah thank ah g'ot a purty gud aksent n'all.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I visited Spain a few times when I was a kid and I loved it. I would like to live there for awhile.

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me it would be Australia or Korea again both have certain aspect that I would enjoy.

Terryl...I think you would like Korea. The country is beautiful out here. I'm here right now and love the country side. The only downside here is that they do not take care of there housing. Some places people take a lil bit better care, but a majority of them are run down. But like I said, the country side is beautiful. As for the people, it just depends on where you are at. If you stay close to a military base, the people tend to be not as nice, but I think some of it is b/c of how military "kids" act when out in public. I say kids referring to adults since there are no military kids here in Korea. But training with a Korean Master is a lot of fun too. Mine has been trainging in Tang Soo Do for over 40yrs.

Tang Soo!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere, five years ago-it still applies (though I have to say that I have property and keep a boat in Mexico, so it could happen...)

Recently, I talked with a young guy who was bummed out because his girlfriend had left him. “Carl” and his girlfriend, “Betty,” lived together, but they had an open relationship (which means they could have sex with other partners). Carl requested an open relationship because Betty was not as attractive as the women he was accustomed to dating. Carl was unwilling to fully commit to Betty, and, as often happens, she found someone else-someone who was willing to fully commit. I’m sure that nobody would blame Betty for leaving-except maybe for Harvey. I can imagine Carl and Betty at dinner. I can imagine Carl checking out the other women at the restaurant, looking for a more attractive partner. Carl was also bummed out because George BuSh was re-elected. Consequently, Carl is thinking of leaving the United States.

Before he goes, I’d like to introduce him to his next girlfriend, “Ginger.” I met Ginger the day after I talked to Carl, and I think they’d be a terrific couple. Ginger is also thinking of leaving the country, but she doesn’t want to move anywhere; she just wants the Blue States to divorce the Red states. Ginger can’t sleep at night while her country is bombing people-though, as I’ve railed about before, she had no problem when it was Clinton bombing people instead of BuSh. Like many others, Ginger thinks the united States Is so divided that we should simply become two different countries. There are problems with Ginger’s plan. For example, if America did get divorces, I’m fairly sure the Red States would want custody of all the bombs. Maybe Ginger would sleep better if she wasn’t politically connected to George BuSh, but I don’t think the people getting bombed would sleep any better. Also, about 144 years ago, quite a few of the Red States tried to divorce the Blue States, and it turned out pretty badly.

I have friends who’ve been talking about moving to New Zealand for months, fearing BuSh’s re-election. Also, for several weeks, I’ve been getting-mails praising the virtues of Canada, where my wife and I have a few friends and relatives, who can’t understand what’s happening south of their border. America must feel a lot like Betty right now, with so many citizens checking out other countries, looking for a more attractive companion. I think there arte about 50 million Republicans and 50 million Democrats in this country, The rest of us are swing voters. Swing voters, just like Betty, are looking for someone willing to commit. While I’m sure that John Kerry is committed to America, I’m beginning to believe that many Democrats are not. Is it possible some voters were turned off by all the Democrats who’ve been talking about how much they like Canada? Since the election, I’ve heard Democrats complain that America has left them, but maybe it’s the other way around. Democrats have been looking around the restaurant for months, checking out other countries, getting ready to bail if things get rocky.

I though it was interesting that Ginger wanted to “divorce” the United States. Unfortunately, America has gotten very comfortable with divorce. Many Americans, when they hear the word divorce, imagine an oppressed woman from an Ibsen play, struggling to live a full life in the face of overwhelming cultural oppression. For these people, divorce represents our ability to transcend the restraints of religion and tradition. For other Americans- those who embrace tradition and religion, for example-divorce represents selfishness, and the inability to transcend personal happiness for the good of the family.

Sadly, most Republicans are thrilled to hear Democrats talk about leaving the country. They’d love to have the place to themselves, to fix up America just the way they like it. Even those Republicans who value family and tradition would happily divorce those sniveling liberals who think that an Arab life has the same value as a good American. Maybe we could get a no-fault divorce do the whole thing without any lawyers-I know that would make the Republicans happy!

I’m reminded of Zachary Taylor, who said that he would personally lead the army against any state that tried to leave the Union, and he would instantly hang any rebels he could get his hands on. That reflects my feeling on this subject: any American (Republican or Democrat) who thinks he’d be better off without 50 million of his fellow Americans is a damned scoundrel, and he should get a whipping personally administered by Abraham Lincoln.

So, let’s stop all this talk about divorce. Let’s try to appreciate our boyfriends, girlfriends, and our husbands and wives, and our country.

…and stop looking at Canada that way. It isn’t polite and, besides, she doesn’t look that good when you get up close.
tongue.gif

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I would have to say that I would want to be in either Australia, Germany, or Ireland if I were to leave the US for good. And judging from the way you guys are talking about New Zealand, I wouldn't mind going there either.

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I did leave the United States. It was 15 years ago and I have not stepped on American soil since. I moved to Taiwan. Reason being, if a person is interested in traditional Chinese culture (be it traditional religions, martial arts, calligraphy, architecture or whatever)---Taiwan is the place to be.

Plus the people are great. Both of my wives have been Taiwanese (uh, of course at different times; multiple wives was made illegal in the 1970s if I remember right; my first Taiwanese wife I met, married and divorced back in California.).

Taiwan is of course not utopia, but it is a lot better than mainland China; which admittedly may not be saying much.

The R.O.C. rocks. (R.O.C.=Republic of China=Free China!).

One of my prosecutor friends here, who is a Buddhist, has a theory I may have been a Taiwanese in my immediately former life and my return to Taiwan is a return to the place I lived in my last life. I actually sometimes feel he maybe right.

Yours in former lives,
Brian

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's the trouble with leaving...

US Hegemony is reality. US Empire is imminent.

How much would leaving really help? To answer the question, either NZ or some pacific island. The solution to my above problem is finding some unimportant backwater someplace where the tides of history will be felt as only a ripple.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere, five years ago-it still applies (though I have to say that I have property and keep a boat in Mexico, so it could happen...)

Recently, I talked with a young guy who was bummed out because his girlfriend had left him. “Carl” and his girlfriend, “Betty,” lived together, but they had an open relationship (which means they could have sex with other partners). Carl requested an open relationship because Betty was not as attractive as the women he was accustomed to dating. Carl was unwilling to fully commit to Betty, and, as often happens, she found someone else-someone who was willing to fully commit. I’m sure that nobody would blame Betty for leaving-except maybe for Harvey. I can imagine Carl and Betty at dinner. I can imagine Carl checking out the other women at the restaurant, looking for a more attractive partner. Carl was also bummed out because George BuSh was re-elected. Consequently, Carl is thinking of leaving the United States.

Before he goes, I’d like to introduce him to his next girlfriend, “Ginger.” I met Ginger the day after I talked to Carl, and I think they’d be a terrific couple. Ginger is also thinking of leaving the country, but she doesn’t want to move anywhere; she just wants the Blue States to divorce the Red states. Ginger can’t sleep at night while her country is bombing people-though, as I’ve railed about before, she had no problem when it was Clinton bombing people instead of BuSh. Like many others, Ginger thinks the united States Is so divided that we should simply become two different countries. There are problems with Ginger’s plan. For example, if America did get divorces, I’m fairly sure the Red States would want custody of all the bombs. Maybe Ginger would sleep better if she wasn’t politically connected to George BuSh, but I don’t think the people getting bombed would sleep any better. Also, about 144 years ago, quite a few of the Red States tried to divorce the Blue States, and it turned out pretty badly.

I have friends who’ve been talking about moving to New Zealand for months, fearing BuSh’s re-election. Also, for several weeks, I’ve been getting-mails praising the virtues of Canada, where my wife and I have a few friends and relatives, who can’t understand what’s happening south of their border. America must feel a lot like Betty right now, with so many citizens checking out other countries, looking for a more attractive companion. I think there arte about 50 million Republicans and 50 million Democrats in this country, The rest of us are swing voters. Swing voters, just like Betty, are looking for someone willing to commit. While I’m sure that John Kerry is committed to America, I’m beginning to believe that many Democrats are not. Is it possible some voters were turned off by all the Democrats who’ve been talking about how much they like Canada? Since the election, I’ve heard Democrats complain that America has left them, but maybe it’s the other way around. Democrats have been looking around the restaurant for months, checking out other countries, getting ready to bail if things get rocky.

I though it was interesting that Ginger wanted to “divorce” the United States. Unfortunately, America has gotten very comfortable with divorce. Many Americans, when they hear the word divorce, imagine an oppressed woman from an Ibsen play, struggling to live a full life in the face of overwhelming cultural oppression. For these people, divorce represents our ability to transcend the restraints of religion and tradition. For other Americans- those who embrace tradition and religion, for example-divorce represents selfishness, and the inability to transcend personal happiness for the good of the family.

Sadly, most Republicans are thrilled to hear Democrats talk about leaving the country. They’d love to have the place to themselves, to fix up America just the way they like it. Even those Republicans who value family and tradition would happily divorce those sniveling liberals who think that an Arab life has the same value as a good American. Maybe we could get a no-fault divorce do the whole thing without any lawyers-I know that would make the Republicans happy!

I’m reminded of Zachary Taylor, who said that he would personally lead the army against any state that tried to leave the Union, and he would instantly hang any rebels he could get his hands on. That reflects my feeling on this subject: any American (Republican or Democrat) who thinks he’d be better off without 50 million of his fellow Americans is a damned scoundrel, and he should get a whipping personally administered by Abraham Lincoln.

So, let’s stop all this talk about divorce. Let’s try to appreciate our boyfriends, girlfriends, and our husbands and wives, and our country.

…and stop looking at Canada that way. It isn’t polite and, besides, she doesn’t look that good when you get up close.
tongue.gif

We will meet and have a beer and talk about how to have a revolution. Those in power like to have emotional issues to keep people divided and not concerned with larger issues. I believe in the U.S. Constitution. I support it. I really do hate to see it abused. If I had a a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court, I would call them out. I know people believe that someone has to get a court case presented to them and then they get to decide if they will officially review it. But I think they should be able to just use common sense and look at the U.S. Constitution and state that is not valid. Sorry it must go away now. The issue was balance of powers. All three branches were and are there to stop abuse by the the others. The problem is that it reactionary and not actionary.

But then again I will go back to supporting and believing in my country, but support or believe in the individuals who think they are running it the best way possible.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would live in Montreux, Switzerland with NO PROBLEM. That has been my favorite city in the world!!!

Plus, you're guaranteed a shot at the Jazz festival every year.

Latest Discussions