If you left the US ...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought your move was going to happen later. Are you just visiting now, intending to move later, or are you actually making your move?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought your move was going to happen later. Are you just visiting now, intending to move later, or are you actually making your move?

Oh no, FC, we are just visiting now. This is our scouting mission to see if this really is for us. We'll make one more if we decided to go when we are looking to make connections for jobs.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh no, FC, we are just visiting now. This is our scouting mission to see if this really is for us. We'll make one more if we decided to go when we are looking to make connections for jobs.

ah, that's what I had assumed, suddenly wondered if I was mistaken.

Our scouting mission will probably take place in February or so.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Western Europe, Canada, and Austrailia and New Zealand all have nice options in economy and health care and level of technology. :) They also have their drawbacks in language or laws for weapons and other things that some here in the states take for granted, which has lead to this discussion. :(

It's not so bad having tight gun laws over here. It just means that you're more likely to get stabbed in a street fight, rather than shot!!! he he. No, but really, it's not that bad. And martial artists are able to have weapons for training purposes.

And what language barriers? Come on mate- we DO speak English in the land down under :wink1:

It would be nice to see more Americans come to Australia. You get a few come through, but not as many as we do Englishmen and other Europeans. I'll swap with one of you guys- give me your US citizenship for a bit, and you can have my Aussie one. Just for a bit of change? :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not so bad having tight gun laws over here. It just means that you're more likely to get stabbed in a street fight, rather than shot!!! he he. No, but really, it's not that bad. And martial artists are able to have weapons for training purposes.

And what language barriers? Come on mate- we DO speak English in the land down under :wink1:

It would be nice to see more Americans come to Australia. You get a few come through, but not as many as we do Englishmen and other Europeans. I'll swap with one of you guys- give me your US citizenship for a bit, and you can have my Aussie one. Just for a bit of change? :)

Language issues in Western Europe are obvious. Sometimes speaking the "same" language but with the words having "different" meanings based upon culture can sometimes cause for laughs and or a bad misunderstanding. :)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I would probably go back to NZ if I had to go. The people are nice, as is the weather (if you can get used to the backwards seasons... having a barbecue for xmas was a little strange). The taxes aren't bad, although at first it seems like it due to the currency conversion. Driving isn't bad, as the whole "other side of the road" thing is pretty easy to pick up on. Sidenote: You don't need a NZ drivers license for 12 months after entering the country so long as you have a valid license from your home country. I didn't even have to get a permit or anything.

The flights to get there are hellish though, IMO. I'd try to get at least business class next time, as cattle class for 13 hours was not fun by any stretch of the imagination. Fly Quantas, skip the rest. Period.

Other than that, I'd probably look into Southern France (Oui, je parle francais un peu), like Nice or Cannes, or Greece. Anyone have any travel stories from France/Greece to share?

benj13bowlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would like to travel throughout Asia. I have wanted to go there since before High School. Unfortunately the next time I leave the US will be to go back to Iraq for a while.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thailand.
All of those beautiful Buddhist temples and authentic Muay Thai in the same country... priceless.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NZ is a beautiful country. It's got so many vistas crammed into such a compact area that its hard to take it all in. Everywhere you look is absolutely stunning...and there is just so much to do. I could have spent weeks in every spot. I'm sad to leave, but excited to continue the process of getting my things in order to move.

I have to say this though, if you are looking to move somewhere perfect, NZ is not the place. I've seen some not so pretty things too. So, you have to be realistic.

If you are looking for a new adventure and a laid back lifestyle, then I don't think you can do much better

Latest Discussions