If you left the US ...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CCTV stuff I think would creep me out a little too much... But given the choice of UK or US, well, we'd have to hit a pub together when I got there :D

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will meet and have a beer and talk about how to have a revolution.

The time for that is passed, I'm afraid-the only revolution now lies in complete independence: get off-grid, grow your own food, have a well for water, raise some livestock, stock up on medical supplies, non-perishable food, keep your head down and your mouth shut.....
...oh, and stock up on one more thing:bullets.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol yeah Taxes suck over here.

Season 3 of Doctor who has just finished over here....very cool.

(off topic post) Just got hooked on it over here, very cool indeed)..(end off topic post)....

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since there is so much interest in New Zealand here, I've decided to share the step by step flow chart that I made in order to organize the process for our family. Remember, this chart is designed for teachers, so that adds some extra steps. If you are not a teacher, that may or may not simplify things. Overall, it should give everybody a good idea about what you need to do in order to emmigrate.

Attachments

• $Step by Step Process for New Zealand Move for Teachers.doc
    37 KB · Views: 81

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The time for that is passed, I'm afraid-the only revolution now lies in complete independence: get off-grid, grow your own food, have a well for water, raise some livestock, stock up on medical supplies, non-perishable food, keep your head down and your mouth shut.....
...oh, and stock up on one more thing:bullets.

Hmmm, No Debt other than house and car. I have city Water, but a working Well as well. No Live stock , but, know those who have this near by who are friends. Food in the house , check.

Keeping Mouth Shut. Hmmm, You had to go and bring that one up now. I am not sure I can do that. I know I do not go out and throw pies at people or burn flags and carry signs with a slogan at events, but I do express myself from time to time.

Bullets, hmmm while I think this is a good idea in general just because I do not want to go shopping before I have to shoot. I think the missiles that are laser guided or a simple M1A2 Tank could easily put a stop to just about anything I could do. ;)

My comment was that if people get together and talk about the issues, and not in a religious manner of I am right and you are wrong because of a party name, but to look at an issue over a beer (* Like some other people in history *) they might just be able to change something, or if they are lucky maybe change a mind or two.

From Metallica: "If my mind becomes closed, please pry it open."

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One can always go to the hardware store, if one knows what to purchase.

While I understand the knowing what to purchase. ;) A miss spent youth thinking Chemical engineering and money I could make is what I wanted. ;) :D Lots of stuff to make it hard to lock on and also to make it difficult. But having worked with the M1A2, the stuff required to generate the EM pulse or to mechanically stop them in their "tracks" would get a reaction of evacuation and an area response. :D

PS: Building a Nuclear deivce from plans in the Library (* minus fissionable materail of course *) does get peoples attention.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, lets focus on the where to move "willingly" from the US here, k?

I for one want to avoid that involuntary move to Cuba or beatmewithapipestan.

danke!

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

danke!

Western Europe, Canada, and Austrailia and New Zealand all have nice options in economy and health care and level of technology. :) They also have their drawbacks in language or laws for weapons and other things that some here in the states take for granted, which has lead to this discussion. :(

I am not sure where I would live. I could live in most places for a few years but for the rest of my life, I am not so sure.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyplace I go has to allow a few things.
- Swords, as I do sword based arts, and collect them. This rules out Australia.
- Photographers freedom. They seem permit happy there to shoot anything, and some of the rules are quite different than the US. http://www.4020.net/words/photorights.php

I'd look at Canada, but would prefer someplace that sees minimal to no snow. I kinda hate it, lol! An inability to speak Spanish rules out much of the warmer regions in NA.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course....the idea of a few years on the road seems interesting too...spend 6 months here, 4 months there, do alot of traveling and photography. As long as I have internet access I can run my business's (just limit payments to online credit cards, invoice via email, and handle all support online)

Hmm...... :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

danke!

Well, like I said, I already have an immediate fall back in Mexico-and the boat can go anywhere in the world, really. I also like Costa Rica and Nicaraugua-as in like, as in nice places to visit, or maybe retire....New Zealand is attractive, but I'm thinking the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Without_a_Country][/FONT]
[URL="http://[FONT=Arial"]Man Without A Country
[/url]scenario would be more attractive to me:[/font]

For your country, boy," and the words rattled in his throat, "and for that flag,"and he pointed to the ship, "never dream a dream but of serving her as she bids you, though the service carry you through a thousand hells. No matter what happens to you, no matter who flatters you or abuses you, never look at another flag, never let a night pass but you pray God to bless that flag. n remember boy, that behind all these men..., behind officers and government, and people even, there is the Country Herself, your Country, and that you belong to her as you belong to your own mother. Stand by her, boy, as you would stand by your mother...!"

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not true. The US government has reciprocity agreements with lots of different governments which basically state that if you live there, you pay their taxes and NOT taxes to the US government. And when you become a citizen of another country, the US has not power to force anyone to pay their taxes. To do so would be an egregious breach of sovereignty and would open the door for countries to do likewise on the US.
Your answer had such common sense logic within it I knew it had to be incorrect. Since tax laws and common sense are like oil and water.

So I did some more research and it appears our government had some class envy issues with “rich” Americans possibly renouncing their citizenship, or should it be considered just “affluent” Americans now. The issue is with recent changes to IRS Code Sec 877, and yes UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU for Ten Years After!

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97245,00.html

http://www.hayduklaw.com/weekly.htm

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Amended IRC 877 eliminates the tax avoidance criteria for imposition of the expatriation tax on certain types of income for 10 years following expatriation, and creates objective criteria to impose the tax on individuals with an average income tax liability of $127,000 for tax year 2005 (or higher amount for later years) for the 5 prior years or a net worth of $2,000,000 on the date of expatriation.

At the most, this doesn't apply to me and it won't by the time I leave. At the very least, this is complete ********.

I've never came across this before and, in fact, when I talked to NZ emmigration services, there was absolutely no mention of it. So, here's what I'm trying to figure out, how can the US enforce this? Why would another country let an affluent member of their populace be taxed twice when that income could be put into their economy?

I've met several people online who were pretty wealthy and they said nothing about this when I asked them about taxes. Anyways, thanks for the curveball man...;)

I'm going to ask some more questions...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
At the most, this doesn't apply to me and it won't by the time I leave. At the very least, this is complete ********.

I've never came across this before and, in fact, when I talked to NZ emmigration services, there was absolutely no mention of it. So, here's what I'm trying to figure out, how can the US enforce this? Why would another country let an affluent member of their populace be taxed twice when that income could be put into their economy?

I've met several people online who were pretty wealthy and they said nothing about this when I asked them about taxes. Anyways, thanks for the curveball man...

And, in fact, if you're a "not so affluent" American, the first $80,000 you make overseas don't get taxed....just talk to an accountant and make sure you get filed correctly. I imagine that as a teacher you'll be making less than that, so none of it should apply-the amendment is basically a way of nailing some of the increased expatriate income of the last six years or so- $127,000 just happens to equate with the lowest tier of "contract security" personnel overseas.....:rolleyes:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I am not leaving the good old US anytime soon. We have a cool motto in "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave." However places I would love to live in if I had a choice and could either afford it or the political climate would allow it. One would be Japan, another would be Indonesia, after that I might go to one of the many Island nations out there. Even though I do not like the heat all the time, if I could afford it I would be at the beach alot!
icon6.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when people say oh I want to live in whatever country it is, they don't always realise that it matters very much where in that country you go?
A friend of mine spent six months in NZ, loved it but there are some rough places there that he wouldn't want to live in.
It's the same as the UK, there are some really bad places that the Brits would love to get out of but theres also, and it's the majority of places, that are brilliant. CCTV is in the cities and frankly it does need to be but there are some totally wonderful places and don't forget that the UK is made up of other countries, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, Isle of Man, Cornwall and the Channel Islands. Many counties such as Lancashire and Yorkshire regard themselves as being almost countries!
I lived in Germany (at RAF Laarbruch, nr the Dutch border) for three years and travelled all over Europe which was fun but apart from The Netherlands and the South of France which I still visit I don't think I'd live in any of the countries. Italy was fun though, I liked their attitude to life there.I like the slower Mediterrean pace of life. I suspect that the laid back "she'll be right, mate" attitude of the Kiwis is a big attraction for many of New Zealand, I know it would be for me.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
I'd go to England, find a cottage in the countryside, smuggle in some aluminium foil to thwart the detector vans, and sit by the fire and watch my wide screen, with all the Brit-coms my brain can stomach, drinking a real beer while beating my manservant regularly. I'd probably be called The Yank by the natives whenever I drop by the local pub for a pint. I want one of those quaint 3 wheeled cars as well.

Latest Discussions