so what's your leave-the-country country?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I meant the US mate. Canada is still Britain isn't it, just with funny accents? :D We'd read and heard a few horror stories that Brits weren't welcome in the US.

Not sure many Americans love the Queen, I know I don't. :D

What?! I've heard all kinds of anti-whatever sentiment here, but never anti-Brit. I can vouch that here on the West Coast at least, you'd have loads of admirers for your accent alone.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
What?! I've heard all kinds of anti-whatever sentiment here, but never anti-Brit. I can vouch that here on the West Coast at least, you'd have loads of admirers for your accent alone.
There were some tourists attacked in Florida a while back IIRC.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Could never understand that accent attraction thing. :D

Yeah when I was younger, the girls would drop their underwear for any French, English, Caribbean etc. accent....a Frenchman could say he was taking a ***** and the women would go nuts.

Little did I realize the opposite was true in the UK...my Canadian accent afforded me the same response...and I never visited.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Toronto can get cold, yes. But Vancouver... it's warmed by the North Pacific Current, and the average temperature is around 40ºF in winter and 80º-85º summer. Think Seattle or Portland, but not nearly as wet.

You want unpleasant winter weather and severe cold, you just come visit central Ohio, mate! Especially this winter.... brrrrrr.

I've lived in Ohio and I can only say....never again!

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah when I was younger, the girls would drop their underwear for any French, English, Caribbean etc. accent....a Frenchman could say he was taking a ***** and the women would go nuts.

Little did I realize the opposite was true in the UK...my Canadian accent afforded me the same response...and I never visited.

Bugger! Shoulda moved to Canada when I was young, single and fancy free! Oh well, my best years are behind me now that I'm married. :(

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score

LOL! There are a lot of unusual accents in the UK so I imagine this may be true for posh Brits who travel, but I doubt my Norfolk nasal twang would have the same effect..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZGBgdv3ZYo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IT4t-59M9s&feature=related

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i've heard south africa likes american accents. of course, they have one of the highest rates of hiv & aids, but, you know, whatever.

any other countries that think amerispeak is tres sexique?

jf

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Galapagos islands for my place of choice. There or the Canary Islands.

And on the accent thing, it is like that with most foreign accents. With whichever country you choose. Just make sure it is a friendly country.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL! There are a lot of unusual accents in the UK so I imagine this may be true for posh Brits who travel, but I doubt my Norfolk nasal twang would have the same effect..........

Despite my poor, working class, roots, I have in the past been accused of having a 'posh' accent - at least until I spent a decade or so living in Stoke-on-Trent :lol: - but I did find that when I was outside the country my accent became much more an ambodiement of Queen's English than normal. The regional 'filter' fell away leaving only BBC-like Received Pronunciation in it's wake :D.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heck, when I retire I'm thinking Mexico. I'm a teacher and live in Arizona. We rank at around about number 49 out of the 50 states in compensation. Teachers from everywhere else retire here, because the cost of living is supposedly "reasonable". Well, with the measely pension I'll get, I'm looking for somewhere really cheap to live, and since I'll be old and wore-out, with cheap prescription meds too. And what with the price of gas, I better be able to walk there. Entonces, no me quedan muchas alternativas. Elijo vivir en Mexico, pues. Por lo menos hay playas bonitas y cerveza barata.

Oh, and the government is so corrupt down there, that if I ever have to come back, maybe things here will look better! Quien sabe?

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
or just stay in arizona until it becomes mexico again!

jf

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
or just stay in arizona until it becomes mexico again!

jf

No kidding! That's why I started re-learning my high school Spanish!

I'll tell ya what really worries me (especially with my luck) is that some day we'll finally get that great and impenetrable 50 foot wall built on the Mexican border. Yep, just about the time global climate change makes it necessary for all of us to illegally migrate south across the border. I'm already saving up for a 51 foot tall ladder!

Latest Discussions