so what's your leave-the-country country?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Canada, for me. I'm a dual citizen in any case, so it would make sense, eh? Not that everything one does has to make sense... but if you'd ever taken a long lazy walk on Locarno Beach in Vancouver's Point Grey district during a late late afternoon/early twilight in July, with the 9,000 ft. high Tantalus mountains shining across Burrard Inlet, and the lights of the West End already coming on to the east... it would make a lot of sense to you!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think by this point in our history, most of us have toyed with the idea of moving to another country in the future. if not for political differences then economic fears. so if you finally got fed up with the united states, where would you move to?

i'm leaning towards new zealand. i already speak english, the scenery is beautiful & there are plenty of outdoor opportunities, the economy is decent, good healthcare, & even reasonable gun control laws. not as permissive as i like, but it's not exactly the wild west there either.

jf
Amsterdam or Norway.
Sean

Stan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would probably live in Germany, or if not then France. Poland wouldn't be bad either, if I could learn the language. A little too Catholic for me though.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Canada, for me. I'm a dual citizen in any case, so it would make sense, eh? Not that everything one does has to make sense... but if you'd ever taken a long lazy walk on Locarno Beach in Vancouver's Point Grey district during a late late afternoon/early twilight in July, with the 9,000 ft. high Tantalus mountains shining across Burrard Inlet, and the lights of the West End already coming on to the east... it would make a lot of sense to you!

Well after that description , I'll have to try it. BTW: did you pack a lunch and bottle of wine?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well after that description , I'll have to try it. BTW: did you pack a lunch and bottle of wine?

Yup... but I also used to go running there in the early, early morning—I suppose one has to do something to actually deserve those wonderful evenings. The west coast of Canada is really paradisal... here are some images that try, but don't manage to do the place full justice:

http://www.vancouvershow.com/gallery/jericho-beach-vancouver-dt-0936c.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/gocanada/1/0/r/0/-/-/Jericho_Beach_2.jpg

http://image32.webshots.com/33/4/9/14/238940914mVkkEN_fs.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...carno+Beach&start=18&gbv=2&ndsp=18&hl=en&sa=N

It's actually way more gorgeous than these shots covey... :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I have toyed with the thought of China (no surprise there) and I have thought about Canada but for some reason, of late, I keep thinking about Switzerland and I have no idea why

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I have toyed with the thought of China (no surprise there) and I have thought about Canada but for some reason, of late, I keep thinking about Switzerland and I have no idea why

China is beautiful and I've enjoyed visits there but unless there are major changes in government I don't think it's an option for long term living.

New Zealand is the most appealing option I've found for many of the reasons stated here. Toronto and Vancouver Canada both have appeal but I don't know that I'd want to be in such a cold climate long term.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Canada. Had the chance to move to Ottawa in 2000 on the company dime. I probably should have ditched my failing marriage and just gone. I'd be skating to work on the Rideau rather than skidding to work down some boring New Hamsphire roadway.

Carol,

Ottawa is an old haunt of mine. I have some family there, and I visited the city often for work in the late eighties and early nineties. It used to be quite a quiet place to wander around, but the I understand population has grown steadily, and with it the gridlock.

Still, it's home to wonderful galleries, museums, and other sites.

As for leaving the country, I would at least love to visit Norway -- my grandparents on my father's side came from there.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think by this point in our history, most of us have toyed with the idea of moving to another country in the future. if not for political differences then economic fears. so if you finally got fed up with the united states, where would you move to?

i'm leaning towards new zealand. i already speak english, the scenery is beautiful & there are plenty of outdoor opportunities, the economy is decent, good healthcare, & even reasonable gun control laws. not as permissive as i like, but it's not exactly the wild west there either.

jf

Global economy is down.

European Companies are having problems as well.

Japanese Companies are posting losses.

Australia or New Zealand would be nice for environment and the language being close enough.

An island near the equator would be nice.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
China. The last red-blooded free market that's run the way free markets ought to be run.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Texas!!! Hey, they are different and their own little country!

You know, I'd just have Texas suceed from the U.S. We actually can do that.

And the Aggies have been training on several hundred septic tanks, so soon we will have our own armored division!

Deaf

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol,

Ottawa is an old haunt of mine. I have some family there, and I visited the city often for work in the late eighties and early nineties. It used to be quite a quiet place to wander around, but the I understand population has grown steadily, and with it the gridlock.

Still, it's home to wonderful galleries, museums, and other sites.

Its a neat city...and just over the borderline you can lose yourself in Gatineau Park...even though spending the day there means going through Hull and back (*rimshot*) :lol:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Toronto and Vancouver Canada both have appeal but I don't know that I'd want to be in such a cold climate long term.

Toronto can get cold, yes. But Vancouver... it's warmed by the North Pacific Current, and the average temperature is around 40ºF in winter and 80º-85º summer. Think Seattle or Portland, but not nearly as wet.

You want unpleasant winter weather and severe cold, you just come visit central Ohio, mate! Especially this winter.... brrrrrr.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Toronto can get cold, yes. But Vancouver... it's warmed by the North Pacific Current, and the average temperature is around 40ºF in winter and 80º-85º summer. Think Seattle or Portland, but not nearly as wet.

You want unpleasant winter weather and severe cold, you just come visit central Ohio, mate! Especially this winter.... brrrrrr.

Toronto can get freaking hot and humid too, we usually have a 2 or 3 day period where the weather is perfect.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh Lordy no mate. Beautiful place, but, just, no... No. :D

Not to worry, it is not likely I will ever move there and thanks for the advice

China is beautiful and I've enjoyed visits there but unless there are major changes in government I don't think it's an option for long term living.

Ahh but half my family is there all but 1 of my inlaws.

But again it is not likely I would ever move there for greater than 1 year. The most logical for me would be Canada actually.

Latest Discussions