If you left the US ...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would live in Montreux, Switzerland with NO PROBLEM. That has been my favorite city in the world!!!

Plus, you're guaranteed a shot at the Jazz festival every year.

Switzerland sounds good to me too. In a town that's on one of the crystal clear mountain sees. I had the opportunity to travel through Switzerland and the place is beautiful.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Switzerland sounds good to me too. In a town that's on one of the crystal clear mountain sees. I had the opportunity to travel through Switzerland and the place is beautiful.

Not too far from some of the world's deepest caves too... :uhyeah:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, it just so happens that my wife and I are planning to move to New Zealand. We have the paperwork filed and we are verifiably needed over there. If any of you have any questions on the emmigration process, please PM me and I can help you.

As it stands now, it looks like we will be spending 2-3 more years in this country taking care of some loose financial ends, although we are in a good enough place with money and paperwork that we would be able to buy plane tickets tomorrow, move, and start a new life.

I don't know if I can compress enough bile into one sentance in order to describe the reasons that I would choose to move to a different country and leave all of the family I love so dearly behind, so I won't even try. On top of this, there are enough people in THIS country who just don't want to hear the stuff that is really happening (like the above). You can PM me about this if you want too.

All I can say as a general comment is that you need to start planning if you are really serious about this. Emmigration is a big deal and almost all of the countries that people posted above have very strict laws. For example, it will take you at least 18 months and thousands of from start to finish in order to complete all of the NZ emmigration requirements.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My problem is, self employed people don't seem to top the list of 'wanted'.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My problem is, self employed people don't seem to top the list of 'wanted'.

Bob, if you really are interested, there are avenues that you could pursue that would cater to what you do. IT is a hugely needed profession in NZ and so is anyone who is willing to start or move a company. I can recommend some books if you are interested. And yes I said books, because like I said, emmigrating ain't easy.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shoot me some info if you would, no hurry. :)
I can't currently afford my passport fee, much less the initial visit, lol!

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, let’s stop all this talk about divorce. Let’s try to appreciate our boyfriends, girlfriends, and our husbands and wives, and our country.

…and stop looking at Canada that way. It isn’t polite and, besides, she doesn’t look that good when you get up close.
tongue.gif
Emotionally I am with you Aaron. It reminded me of this recent story about taxes in Norway:

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1891543.ece

That said, I was thinking of looking into that Irish descendant passport scam - not to flee - but it would allow me to find work within the EU, until that system collapses.

However since some here have begun the emigrant process, please if anyone on this thread can answer this.

That Congress passed a law during the past decade?
Whereas the US government can still enforce/obliges you to pay federal income taxes for up to ten years after you have left the USA?
:angry:

True or an urban legend?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cannot see myself getting upset enough to actually move away from the US forever, but if I had to choose a county to move to it would have to be Vanuatu. Small Island in the South Pacific where there is a portion of the island where your wealth is determined by how much you give away and a type of pig is considered wealth. A plus is that English is spoken over most of the Island so there would be a period where you could still converse while learning the national language. I have wanted to go there for years to visit. I like the idea of warm water, warm temperatures, NO snow, friendly people and diving, swimming, fishing, and beaches.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
IF...NEVER...despite all the hoopla of bad press of what the country is coming to...'til the day I die...then God willing my plans are straight up...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would live in Montreux, Switzerland with NO PROBLEM. That has been my favorite city in the world!!!

Plus, you're guaranteed a shot at the Jazz festival every year.
Plus, they have that rolling truck stones thing just outside...

:uhyeah:

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would I....

Grass will always seem greener on the other side. I am pretty happy with my life here in the US.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No one want to move to England.....we have...erm interesting weather over here. ( :

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No one want to move to England.....we have...erm interesting weather over here. ( :
I live your weather here in the Pacific Northwest ... and I like the idea of being able to defend myself of my own volition and not having Big Brother remind me from a loudspeaker on a street corner to wipe my child's nose.

Good on ya for tolerating, I suppose. :asian:

Seems to me, on this Fifth Ammendment thingy, that we conquered this kind of crap before, did we not? I can't imagine a civil uprising being successful, tho.

I also noticed that no one mentioned any South American countries ... any suggestions as to why?

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I live your weather here in the Pacific Northwest ... and I like the idea of being able to defend myself of my own volition and not having Big Brother remind me from a loudspeaker on a street corner to wipe my child's nose.

Good on ya for tolerating, I suppose. :asian:

Seems to me, on this Fifth Ammendment thingy, that we conquered this kind of crap before, did we not? I can't imagine a civil uprising being successful, tho.

I also noticed that no one mentioned any South American countries ... any suggestions as to why?

LOL!!! I think you have been watching too much T.V!

loudspeakers?

My veiw on the whole police CCTV thing is that you shouldnt really be worried about it as long as your not doing anything you shouldnt be.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My veiw on the whole police CCTV thing is that you shouldnt really be worried about it as long as your not doing anything you shouldnt be.

With all due respect, that's how rights are lost.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That Congress passed a law during the past decade?
Whereas the US government can still enforce/obliges you to pay federal income taxes for up to ten years after you have left the USA?

Not true. The US government has reciprocity agreements with lots of different governments which basically state that if you live there, you pay their taxes and NOT taxes to the US government. And when you become a citizen of another country, the US has not power to force anyone to pay their taxes. To do so would be an egregious breach of sovereignty and would open the door for countries to do likewise on the US.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd love to go to the UK. But I don't like $10 a gallon gas prices, and a tax for every tv and monitor I own. (I've got 11 screens....that gets pricey, lol)

The plus is, DALEKS! :D

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to go to the UK. But I don't like $10 a gallon gas prices, and a tax for every tv and monitor I own. (I've got 11 screens....that gets pricey, lol)

The plus is, DALEKS! :D

lol yeah Taxes suck over here.

Season 3 of Doctor who has just finished over here....very cool.

Latest Discussions