I am FREAKING OUT here

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tonight and tomorrow night I test for my Third Brown (KENPO) and I am FREAKING OUT. I woke up three times last night after nightmares about my test. Yes, I've tested before, yes, intellectually I know the tests aren't set up to fail, yes, I know if my instructors didn't think I was ready they wouldn't test me...
None of that has any effect on how much I am FREAKED OUT.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That will pass as soon as you step on the floor.
getting spooked when you know a test is about to happen is a good thing, it shows your not overconfident or to egotistical.
You'll do fine, just find that flow and go with it

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Relax.

Don't think about kenpo today, don't practice. Lay out everything you need for the test tomorrow, put it in your bag, and put it by the door. Then take your wife/GF/BF/whatever out for dinner, go to a movie, enjoy yourselves. She'll enjoy it and you apparently need the mental break.

Lamont

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Slow down, take a deep breath. Read this thread http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53333

It has a lot of good advise for someone in a very similar situation.

Remember most of the pressure that is there is what you have imposed upon yourself.

Just like in most tests, try not to over-review your material, you will just magnify little "stylistic differences" (aka mistakes) which will have little to no bearing on your testing outcome.

Also remember, we have all been there. I remember I was more tense before my most recent testing (MA) than I was sitting for my oral boards (medical specialty). We humans are just a mess sometimes. :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Relax.

Don't think about kenpo today, don't practice. Lay out everything you need for the test tomorrow, put it in your bag, and put it by the door. Then take your wife/GF/BF/whatever out for dinner, go to a movie, enjoy yourselves. She'll enjoy it and you apparently need the mental break.

Lamont
Agreed, you seem to make more of this test than it actually is deep in your mind. Let it go and just relax with your SO, see a fun movie or better do something fun as you'll concentrate on more of what you're doing than sitting in a dark theater where those nasties can creep in.

Relax, you'll do fine... you got THIS far didn't you?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! We've all probably had dreams of failure at one time or another, and not surprisingly, as you get closer to the exam date, those nightmares become more frequent.

The best way is to simply realize, that it was just a dream, and to confront your fears by going to the test, giving it your best, and letting the cards fall where they may.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, now you're freaking me out, because I'm three months behind you - 3rd brown in May. How's this one different from green? It's just more stuff, right? You'll be fine.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Tonight and tomorrow night I test for my Third Brown (KENPO) and I am FREAKING OUT. I woke up three times last night after nightmares about my test. Yes, I've tested before, yes, intellectually I know the tests aren't set up to fail, yes, I know if my instructors didn't think I was ready they wouldn't test me...

Hey Don,

We've all been there before. Try to relax. Don't take it so seriously, it's supposed to be fun and enjoyable. What's the worst thing that could happen? You have to retest in a few months. It's no big deal. It won't make you any less of a MA if you fail a test. If one fails then gets back up and tries again and again till they pass.......

That is what it is all about.

Have a couple of cold ones, relax, and give it your best. You will find you may be your own greatest critic.

-Marc-

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think its perfectly natural for everyone to be nervous no matter how many times we've tested in the past. Easier said than done I know, but do your best to relax. Try not to think too much about what you have to do...just go with the flow.

Good luck and please let us know how you do!! :)

Mike

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Don,

We've all been there before.
-Marc-

Huuhuummmmm.....not really. Never been there before, actually I have never tested in MA at all. But the good part is that in my dojo Sensei don't schedule tests. Ends class before calls you in the middle of the tatami and starts asking what he wants you to do. So no nerve crisis hee hee.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the key to me as I look at your situation. The only problem I've ever had on tests was in one system where someone other than my instructor(s) tested me--so called masters, who'd obviously never been in a fight in their lives. Like you said, your instructors invited you to test, and they know you. There's no benefit in them having people test who they feel are not ready. ;)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huuhuummmmm.....not really. Never been there before, actually I have never tested in MA at all. But the good part is that in my dojo Sensei don't schedule tests. Ends class before calls you in the middle of the tatami and starts asking what he wants you to do. So no nerve crisis hee hee.
This is pretty much what I do now, too. Works out well. But now, back to the topic. :D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just consider it a platform to showcase your abilities. If you look at it from that angle then you'll blow em away.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to get the willies like that, too......... until I actually reasoned it out that: A) I was well prepared to kick butt and B) Losing sleep made failure more likely and C ) generations of my family had gone through this, usually facing worse things.

I have slept cool ever since.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just consider it a platform to showcase your abilities. If you look at it from that angle then you'll blow em away.
Right. Just make your Teacher proud. You can do this. Don't sweat this, get some good rest. Hehe -- yes, take your wife to a dinner somewhere, that is good.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you, one and all, for your comments and good wishes.

I showed up, as is my habit, 30 minutes early. SHAKING,feeling like I had to puke and thanking god for Immodium AD. We started. We started attacking back and forth. 20 or so minutes in, while performing GRIP OF DEATH (ask a Kenpoist) I twisted my knee, I heard (and felt) three POPS and hit the ground.
I was uncerimoniously rolled off the mat where I stayed for about 3 minutes at which point one of the Black Belts helped me to stand. I stood for about 5 minutes and stepped back on the mat.
It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. But, nothing really ever is...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
20 or so minutes in, while performing GRIP OF DEATH (ask a Kenpoist) I twisted my knee, I heard (and felt) three POPS and hit the ground.
I was uncerimoniously rolled off the mat where I stayed for about 3 minutes at which point one of the Black Belts helped me to stand. I stood for about 5 minutes and stepped back on the mat.
Good job, Big Don!

t wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. But, nothing really ever is...
:D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you, one and all, for your comments and good wishes.

I showed up, as is my habit, 30 minutes early. SHAKING,feeling like I had to puke and thanking god for Immodium AD. We started. We started attacking back and forth. 20 or so minutes in, while performing GRIP OF DEATH (ask a Kenpoist) I twisted my knee, I heard (and felt) three POPS and hit the ground.
It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. But, nothing really ever is...

Well, yeah. But did you pass the test? You did step back on the mat right? Did you finish the test?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, yeah. But did you pass the test? You did step back on the mat right? Did you finish the test?

Inquiring minds wanna know.
Yes, I passed, we all did (six of us tested). I am hobbling around today and my face is marked up, but, somehow, I feel great.
Thanks everyone.

Latest Discussions