Which Would Freak You Out more

M

MartialArtsChic

I've always wondered.......(yes I know that could be dangerous):

Which would freak you out more, if at all:

Putting pressure on a person's pressure point (anywhere) and them not doing anything and just looking at you?

OR

Putting pressure on a person's pressure point and them laughing at you because it tickles?

I'm just curious what the reaction would be if this happened to you. My pressure points (anywhere) are not painful and they make me automatically smile and laugh (the harder the pressure, the more it tickles).

MartialArtsChic

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Haven't been put in that situation, so I don't know.

I don't think it would freak me out, but I might consider it strange.

- Ceicei

OP
P

pknox

I'm with Ceiei on this one, but I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say the first one would worry me more. A laugh is still a reaction, and could be distracting enough to allow you to do something else. Just standing there - well that will get you nowhere.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Someone laughing and saying it tickled. I have not had it happen. But that would be mighty embaressing ( sp ? ) Mithios

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Both can happen; remeber people react differently to different points; also remeber that PP is not all about pain compliance.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtsChic
I've always wondered.......(yes I know that could be dangerous):

Which would freak you out more, if at all:

Putting pressure on a person's pressure point (anywhere) and them not doing anything and just looking at you?

OR

Putting pressure on a person's pressure point and them laughing at you because it tickles?

I'm just curious what the reaction would be if this happened to you. My pressure points (anywhere) are not painful and they make me automatically smile and laugh (the harder the pressure, the more it tickles).

MartialArtsChic

I've worked with both of these people. It is good in a way because you may not always get the pressure point so you need to know what to do in case you miss or it doesn't work.

With these people you have to change your approach quickly. A lot of the pressure point we use are in conjunction with joint locks. If the pressure point misses, we need to get to the joint-lock quickly. We also have pressure point striking which, if someone's pressure points are not sensitive, are of course ineffective.

But nothing sucks more than hitting a pressure point or doing a joint lock and having people laugh. You feel very weak then.
:(

OP
K

KanoLives

I train with a guy that seems to feel nothing from pressure points or joint locks. I mean eventually it will effect him but you really have to give it to him. For example we did a tech that required us to stick our fingers into the person's neck just below the adam's apple in that small hole between the collar bones. I swear to ya after a few times of doing it he felt nothing. It wasn't until I felt I pushed my fingers in that spot to the back of his neck that he finally gave a little twitch. And I mean little. Like someone said though as long as you get a reaction whether it is laughing or what not, a reaction is a reaction.

:asian:

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This happens more then you could imagine. Pressure points are not universal. In my opinion, too much focus on pressure points is a good way to get someone hurt. Pressure points should be used *with* other things...(like jointlocks) instead of concentrating on the stand alone.

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

My instructor, now, usually says "Lorrie's smiling" or "Lorrie's laughing" so you did it right. Jointlocks on me have to be taken to the breaking point for me to feel it so if I know they are doing the technique right, then I tap and let them know. It's got to be frustrating for the ones trying to do the technique with nothing happening - how do you know you're doing it right then?

I was the first person like this that some of my fellow students and instructor came across, so in the beginning I was called Gumby or told "your weird" in a teasing manner. :erg:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been and have worked with both types of people. Pressure points don't seem to have an effect on me. My old kenpo instructor used to be weirded out by the fact that he couldn't make any of the PPs work on me. He was hitting them but they just weren't causing any pain. He, himself, would giggle like a school girl (no offense to school girls;) ) when you hit the point over the clavicle. In my aikido training I've worked with folks that don't seem to have any restriction on elbows and wrists. You torque and torque, they look at ya and kinda yawn a little:shrug: . I have found on these folks that if the tech is done just right that it will work but if it's off even a little it doesn't. To answer the original question of the thread... doing nothing would freak me out more. At least with a laugh I know I was in the right spot. Just looking at me gives the impression that my tech doesn't even exist.

OP
L

LadyDragon

The thing that I see with pressure points, is that as always, it depends on the person your doing it too. I myself, feel the pressure points and you can get a reaction out of me. But you'd better made sure you hit the point pretty hard otherwise I may not more. I'm a bit of as masachist (sp) so I test myself to see how much of the pain I can take.

But I do have people in my dojo who get hit on a pressure point and jump, or crack up. I actually have one person in particular that depending on where you strike her, may do both.

In regards to your question though, I would have to say that getting no reaction at all would be worste in my oppinion. At least a laugh gets some kind of reaction out of your attacker.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neither would worry me particularly. Everyone responds to such points differently and everyone responds to pain differently. If the point in question is not getting the desire reaction, do something else! Don't just sit there wondering why the opponent is giggling or why you can't get the technique to work...just move along.

Learning specific pressure points (and techniques by extension) is all well and good, but don't dwell on them, or even seek them out. If the circumstances of a fight lead you to apply a specific pressure point or technique, terrific. If it doesn't seem to be working out for you, adjust to something else.

I could digress into a broader subject, so I'll shut up and get ready for work now :D

Cthulhu

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by Cthulhu
If the point in question is not getting the desire reaction, do something else! Don't just sit there wondering why the opponent is giggling or why you can't get the technique to work...just move along.

This is what I usually tell people when I'm helping them out. Some of the lower ranks tend to get frustrated a little and think it's not being done right. If I'm like that, then that means others are like that so always have a back-up.

Lorrie

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neither would freak me out - in fact, I wouldn't even consciously take notice their response. I never hit a point and wait to see how they respond. I use the points as targets to aim for - but I don't care if I hit them or not or what effect they may or may not have. I flow. I hit a point and before I can consciously register what effect it's had on the guy, I'm already moving on to another hit, a lock, a sweep, whatever. Now - I do subconsciously register their reaction and that dictates where I go in my flow.

Does that make sense?

Mike

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some folks just don't react to points.

I had one teenage girl in my class who didn't respond to them at all...whack 'em, hit 'em. She'd just look at you. At sixteen she was wrestling around with her boyfriend and broke her wrist. She didn't know it until the next day when she found she couldn't move it. (A year later she broke his elbow during similar horseplay)

I knew an Army Ranger...235, six foot three...same thing except that some of them tickled him. He'd DROP if you tickled him. I honestly think a .45 wouldn't have done that to him.

Some people respond to them in some spots...and others don't effect them at all.

I personally don't place too much stock in them. I use some of them as "garnish" to techniques...but don't view them as the main course.

What freaks me out is when I blast a guy in the face with a full force punch or kick and virtually nothing happens. Now THAT is disconcerting.

Thankfully its only happened a few times. Flip side is I've pegged people with light shots and they go down. Pressure points? Nah. People are wired differently.

Regards,

Steve Scott

Latest Discussions