Families Fight Autism With Karate

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Families Fight Autism with Karate
Karate Improves Communication Skills in Two Autistic Students
Dr. Ann Milanese, autism expert at the Connecticut Children's Medical Center, said she can see how a very few of those with mild forms of autism might benefit from karate. Body awareness, emerging imitation ability and the feeling of self-effectiveness are some of the benefits Milanese noted.

However, Milanese said in the majority of autism cases, karate may not be the right choice.

"One of the fundamental difficulties that children with autism have is difficulty relating to other people and imitating other people," said Malinese. "If the karate class is built upon noticing what other people are doing and imitating it, a child with more serious or classic autism would have real difficulty doing that."

The autism expert said that not every activity can prove effective for autistic children. "We need to make sure that the activity is desirable and fun for the child. And if it is, I would say great, go with it. Give it a try," said Malinese.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would bet money that one of our black belts has mild autism. Makes training with him very...fraught. When he is trying to do a technique, if he doesn't have the movements down cold, he starts to panic a bit and starts throwing strikes everywhere. Popped me right across the face once when all I was doing was standing there with my arm extended.

He also has difficulty communicating, especially where emotion or nuance are involved.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karate is doing wonders for my 7 year old autisic son. Yesterday marks his one year anniversay in Karate. The results are amazing.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a few in our TKD classes and they have adapted very well to it. So I guess it is up to each person.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is really wonderful. But one needs to wonder why the martial arts works so well with the autistic? Is it the physical movements which mimic a release for their inner frustrations that they surely must be feeling? Or is it some connection between the mind and body (and spirit) that feels the harmony when performing the techniques and kata?
I'm sure the monks of so long ago saw not only the defensive benefits that martial arts provides but also the inner-self, the inner awareness as the body and mind (and spirit) work to create harmony, togetherness within.

Amazing stuff.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is really wonderful. But one needs to wonder why the martial arts works so well with the autistic? Is it the physical movements which mimic a release for their inner frustrations that they surely must be feeling? Or is it some connection between the mind and body (and spirit) that feels the harmony when performing the techniques and kata?
I'm sure the monks of so long ago saw not only the defensive benefits that martial arts provides but also the inner-self, the inner awareness as the body and mind (and spirit) work to create harmony, togetherness within.

Amazing stuff.

When a person truly has a technique in their muscle memory and it is just there, and then the person ties a string of the movements together that are natural and meaningful to the moment but were not thought out, it is a moment of being one with the moment. ;)

Personally I enjoy the movement myself and the reactions that occur at such a fast rate that it is processed automatically and not consciously.

As to the article, I am glad for anything that helps others find a way to feel better or communicate or work with others. It is a good thing.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Amazing stuff.
It's hard to say why it works - but if I had to guess, based on the article and my own experiences both as a special education teacher and as a TKD instructor with students with special needs, I would say that the structure is part of it - many students, both with and without autism or other disabilities, respond well to predictable routines and structures, which many MA classes can provide. Another part, I think, is that the formal structure of many classes provides specific instruction in social interaction - how to address seniors, juniors, and peers, how to get attention appropriately, and so on. Still another part, I think, is that many MAs are performed in parallel - that is, for many activities (sparring of all types being a notable exception), students are all performing the same or similar actions individually but in concert, providing students with the opportunity to be part of a group without the stress of having to interact directly the way one must in a team sport; even when one interacts directly, as in sparring and many partner drills, the interactions are fairly rigidly codified, especially at the beginning.

Of course, I could be wrong, too - or right only for some people. Other opinions?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen a few autistic children come and go from our program. As the article points out, those diagnosed with mild autism or even asperger's syndrome seem to be th eones who do best. I know my two autistic foster kids simply couldn't handle the demands of a class (nor would they be interested in doing so).

A couple of caveats before looking at MA classes as a sort of adjunct therapeutic activity. One, what are the needs/sensitivities of the child in question? If the child has a lot of sensory issues to things like sound or touch...they may have a hard time in some schools. My school for example is in an old warehouse (large building, high roof)...lots of noise. When I have to bring my older foster son in even for a minute hsi fingers go straigh into his ears. As for the touch issue, if the child has a hard time with phsyicla contact or people in his/her space...accepting intruction that necessarily requires touch (like adjusting stances for example) could be an issue.

This is not to say that these obstacles cannot be overcome, but may require some specialized knowledge and curriculum development. I've even toyed with the idea of developing a special needs class at the school I attend.

The other issue is frustration tolerance. This isn't just an autism thing, beleive me. If a child has low frustration tolerance, that is a potential barrier to success. Again, this can be overcome with specific work on things like handling transitions, doing htings again (even when they;ve jsut been done...another problem for one of my kids), hearing and accepting the "n" word (NO)...

Basically, if these (and other things) are approached as overcomable challenges or problems to be solved then the chances of success are greater.

Peace,
Erik

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's hard to say why it works - but if I had to guess, based on the article and my own experiences both as a special education teacher and as a TKD instructor with students with special needs, I would say that the structure is part of it - many students, both with and without autism or other disabilities, respond well to predictable routines and structures, which many MA classes can provide. Another part, I think, is that the formal structure of many classes provides specific instruction in social interaction - how to address seniors, juniors, and peers, how to get attention appropriately, and so on. Still another part, I think, is that many MAs are performed in parallel - that is, for many activities (sparring of all types being a notable exception), students are all performing the same or similar actions individually but in concert, providing students with the opportunity to be part of a group without the stress of having to interact directly the way one must in a team sport; even when one interacts directly, as in sparring and many partner drills, the interactions are fairly rigidly codified, especially at the beginning.

Of course, I could be wrong, too - or right only for some people. Other opinions?
No, I like yours. :) This is an area I don't know much about, but the county I work for runs many classes for these kids. Makes me wonder if all might benefit if I could get my Big Uglies (later teens) working with and training some of these younger autistic kids, how it might turn out for everyone....

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen a few autistic children come and go from our program. As the article points out, those diagnosed with mild autism or even asperger's syndrome seem to be th eones who do best. I know my two autistic foster kids simply couldn't handle the demands of a class (nor would they be interested in doing so).

A couple of caveats before looking at MA classes as a sort of adjunct therapeutic activity. One, what are the needs/sensitivities of the child in question? If the child has a lot of sensory issues to things like sound or touch...they may have a hard time in some schools. My school for example is in an old warehouse (large building, high roof)...lots of noise. When I have to bring my older foster son in even for a minute hsi fingers go straigh into his ears. As for the touch issue, if the child has a hard time with phsyicla contact or people in his/her space...accepting intruction that necessarily requires touch (like adjusting stances for example) could be an issue.

This is not to say that these obstacles cannot be overcome, but may require some specialized knowledge and curriculum development. I've even toyed with the idea of developing a special needs class at the school I attend.

The other issue is frustration tolerance. This isn't just an autism thing, beleive me. If a child has low frustration tolerance, that is a potential barrier to success. Again, this can be overcome with specific work on things like handling transitions, doing htings again (even when they;ve jsut been done...another problem for one of my kids), hearing and accepting the "n" word (NO)...

Basically, if these (and other things) are approached as overcomable challenges or problems to be solved then the chances of success are greater.

Peace,
Erik
Interesting point. With socially-marginalized kids, we would call this developing resiliency (which many did not at the normal age), and learning to thrive (again, failure to thrive at a young age is very difficult to overcome). It would seem autistic kids would be hit with these problems exponentially. And it would be very gratifying to see them helped to overcome early setbacks.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Y'know as i sit in my office thinking about this...one would have to approach this as a cross between running a class and running a private lesson. Essentially, developing an individualized program plan (perhaps for each belt level) that details what and how each skill is taught (much like what is done in teaching any other skill set to these kids). At the same time doing that in a group environment.

I'm going to give this furtehr thought.

Peace,
Erik

mib2112

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a martial arts student, who is autistic, it has helped me a great deal, from little things like eye contact up to improving my social skills and reading body language.

As I progress into becoming an instructor who works with kids who had problems like mine, I try to communicate a lot with the parents, as much as I do with the kids I am teaching.

Finding out what the issues the kids display, where they fall on the Autistic Spectrum. I ask them to inform the doctors and teachers in normal school that the student is studying martial arts now, and to let the parents know how the childs behavior changes, so I can keep track of progress.

Sometimes the training helps, sometimes it doesn't. You just roll with it as best you can, and modify how to teach when you have to. It takes patience, it takes time, and a lot of dedication. But the end result is worth it.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that TKD class helped my son immensely. It helped with self control, physical fitness, developing interests outside of computer games, and working off and dealing with feelings of aggression.

My son has Asperger Syndrome, so he is considered 'high functioning'.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As with any activity I think it will work for some and not others. It also depends upon the instructors ability to recognize ways of communicating with the student, and his/her ability to pass this understanding along to the rest of the class

Latest Discussions