How old were you when you first started Martial Arts?

How old were you when you started Martial Arts?

• 10 years old or under

Votes: 107 23.8%
  • 11 years old to 15

Votes: 114 25.4%
  • 16 years old to 19

Votes: 78 17.4%
  • 20 years old to 29

Votes: 74 16.5%
  • 30 years old to 39

Votes: 54 12.0%
  • 40 years old to 49

Votes: 29 6.5%
  • 50 years old to 59

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60 years old and up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tried Judo briefly when I was around 10 years old but then did group sports before being introduced to Karate at around 18 years old.

I started at 10 with TKD.

Since then I have moved to other arts. I'm still actively training in the martial arts.

I started this year at the age of 42. I always wanted to do Martial Arts, but finacially it was not possible for my parents. As an adult, I was married young and started a family early. If I look back, I'm sure there were probably times during my adult life I could of started. All the same though, I finally started and I'm doing Taekwondo.

I love how you are almost never too young and never to old. One man I trained with started Aikido when he was 70 and went on to achive his blackbelt at 77.

For myself, my mother bought me my first judo gi when I was six. That was pretty exciting.

- BJ

Hi Everyone!

I've always wondered how old people were when they started Martial Arts. I know that there is a large age range on this site.
So, this is the question: How old were you when you first started Martial Arts?

I'm mainly looking for how old you were when you first started seriously doing it. Example---If you did Karate when you were 5 years old but then quit for 10 years and started doing it again when you were 15 and never quit....then you'd vote 15 years.

I hope this all makes sense. :confused: Have fun!

Robyn :)

I was 19 when I entered the Military and began my quest and I'm 47 now and still on my quest. Maybe by 67, I will be 3/4s of the way there, that will suffice for me.

I started at 13 and am now 31 (or rather I will be in a few weeks) and I hope to die in the middle of teaching a class at a very old age.

I started out at White Brothers Martial Arts when I was around 10 or 11.

I used to watch "Kung-Fu Theatre" on Saturday mornings and was hooked from day 1. LOL

Well they hadn't invented calendars or time pieces when I started, so I'm lost on this one.:shock:

when i was little was just my mum, my sister and me and I had to be dare I say it the man of the house, My mum put me in Judo when I was 7 she now says it was to teach me respect, sadley I was suspended from a tornament when I was 16 and that was the end of my Judo.

Tae Kwon Do at age 28, then Hsing-I at 32 and Yang T'ai Chi at 34.

I was 13 years old and took 25.00 in silver half dollars and silver dollars to Dick Raney's Kempo karate here in San Antonio,TX. It was my birthday and I had been wanting to get into a school for over a year. I have been in the martial arts now over 38 years.

my parents started me off in a TKD Kenpo hybrid that was taught in our town when I was 6 after I was beat up by a bunch of high schoolers for no aparent reason. Then when I was 10 I had to stop because we no longer had the money to continue my training, but I kept practicing and got back into classes when I was 12. from that point I have tried to keep the martial arts as a part of my life as much as possible getting whatever training I could when I could, even if it was just a free lesson in an art I had not taken before. I am now 25 so I have been at it for quite some time.

Started in Tang Soo Do at 5. Trained for ~9 years. During high school and the beginning of college I trained on my own and read a lot about martial arts history. During college, joined a fight club, learned about Aikido and Kenjutsu, started training in Jujutsu. Shortly after, began teaching and training in my father's school. Have been seriously studying and training since. I hope someday to be the best practitioner I can possibly be...

Back