How old where you when you started?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just a little older than you. I was sixteen.

That was 1973.

Glad to see there are some other guys my age (or older) on the board.

Mithios? You feel old? WAIT TEN YEARS.

Don't want to scare you or anything...but things fall off.

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
K

KanoLives

I was 22 when I started. It'll be a year next month that I started. Though I wanted to start younger. I couldn't because my folks couldn't afford it, seeing how I have three other brothers and myself all doin' something to cost my parents money at the time. :p

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I was feeling old when I started reading this thread, then a few "older" ones piped in.

I started at 38, am now 40..
Lost 15 pounds, but Damn am I sore....:D

OP
L

LadyDragon

I originally started MA when I was 14 and back then I wish I would've started earlier. Unfortunately, I had to stop a few months later. But I restarted again at 21. I'm now 27 and still love doing it all. But I still wish I could've started at a younger age.

OP
K

Kempo Guy

Started at 5 or 6. Been dabbling ever since... I'm now 32 and still a beginner.

KG

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Started TKD in March of 1975 in the long gone Rocky Mountain TaeKwon Do association at the ripe age of 14 (almost 15) years old.

:p

OP
D

Disco

Had a few judo lessons from my uncle in 1958. Started striking style in 1963, been involved in the arts since. The one thing I've learned is that the arts are like golf. If you take either seriously, they become addictive and a large part of your life. But in a good way. You can learn respect, honor and courage from both. In my mind, there's no substitute for those qualities.
:asian:

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started at age 9, in 1963; at the Bedford Ave. Boys Club in their 'Judo for kids' club.
The instructor also had a friend who came in and taught some basic Shotokan. I have long since forgotten their names but if they were alive today; they would be in their 70's...so I would imagine they passed away. I owe those two guys my deepest thanks and gratitude - and bow humbly to their memory. :asian:

Its been a wonderful journey and the best is yet to come!

OP
I

IMAA

I started back in 1986 when I was around 13 or 14, Im 30 turning 31 next month (dec).

I started in American Karate, then went into FMA, then dove into several other arts over the past few years. Still in the same Karate system under a different Sensie same lineage. Still doing FMA. Constantly learning don't think I will ever stop.

I started my son training at around 3 or4 he's 7 now and a Blue Belt. he's gonna be one of those lifers too...hahaha

OP
P

paihequan

I started in 1970, I'm 42 with greying hair but I still love the arts

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Started TKD when I was in 5th grade. Started kendo while I was on student exchange to Japan between graduating high school and college, and I started kung fu and taido in my 1st year of college.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started back in 81 (I was 19) in a YMCA TKD due to a girl friend and her brother who was taking the class. I'm the only one who stayed with it. Now I'm 42.

While I started in American TKD, I got interested in the Filipino Martial Arts in 1983, and really started mainly training in them from 1992 till the present. Although up untill last year I still taught American TKD now I just teach the FMA and Hock Hochheim's combative systems.

Mark

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actual training in Chinese Kenpo began when I was about 23 years "old". Which was approximately 17years (yikes)ago!

:asian:

OP
V

vincefuess

My first kick was through the placenta, and I haven't stopped since.

Latest Discussions