How old where you when you started?

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I am to old to remember that far back but I think my sparing partner was a t-rex

Now that is funny, hey I wasn't that old but here is a picture of me.
:bow:

Reaction score
i was about 8 or 9 when i started training , i started off with jujitsu , and now im advanced (highest grade) in muay thai , people say im too young to commit myself to something important and that im too young to stick too it (they think il get bored and give up) , but im pretty sure im going to be doing MA for many years and im going to enjoy it a lot

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I played around with some boxing / kick-boxing between 8-10 years old, started more serious martial arts training right after that. I'm 32 now.

michelle_gonzales74

White Belt
Reaction score
well, although i do not practice any, my youngest son has just started a kung fu/san shou-shuai chiao class. he is 5. let me ask a question though.... does it really give you an advantage if you start that young???

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you stick with it yes, it does.

My father was training in Tang soo do, since I can remember, me and my brothers had no choice but to train. A new neihbor moved across the street from me at around age 7, he studied gung fu, not sure what style, I practiced with him all the time to my dad's dismay. I am now 37 and still feel like a kid when it comes to training and I am still a student, all the black belt/sashes and master rank are not as important as my training, so I feell lucky to still be a student.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michelle_gonzales74 said:
well, although i do not practice any, my youngest son has just started a kung fu/san shou-shuai chiao class. he is 5. let me ask a question though.... does it really give you an advantage if you start that young???

I'm not sure whether it gives one an advantage or not, but for those who fall in love w/ the Arts the phrase, "Man, I wish I'd have started this when I was younger," is often heard from adults students. Heck, I started at 14 & wish I'd started eariler:ultracool . I'm 38 now.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the person if they stick with it yes it does because that age is so impressionable. Good instruction at that age can help make the techniques being taught and practiced second nature easier over a long period of time. Do they fully understand them at that age no they don't.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Started at 27, turning 30 next month. Since I plan to live forever it doesn`t matter that I started late. MUHAHAHA :EG:

Latest Discussions