How old where you when you started?

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started at eleven. Now I am slightly older. I have a long way to go.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started at 19. Now I am 40 and still training...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started training when I was 14. I'm 38 now. Time flies when you're having fun

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Started at 31 or 32..Got REAL SERIOUS in my mid 40's..I'm now 53...

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was 12 when I first started Jukido JJ... and, after moving away from CT... I wandered the path, trying to find a style (Uechi Ryu, EPAK, Bujinkan) that "fit" me, until I was almost 21...

Except for a few breaks here and there... I pretty much trained straight into my early 30's... then, due to getting married, working shift-work, and then owning my own business... I fell out of my routine... and stopped training on a regular basis...

Now, at 39 (I'll be 40 in Feb)... I'm starting back into things again...

I'm hoping to start back to my TSD classes (I'm a 3rd gup) in a few weeks... once I get settled into the new j-o-b... and have set the goal of acheiving cho dan bo in the next two-years...

I also plan on contacting Guro Sal from Cebu West so I can get back into a regular Modern Arnis training schedule... as my Guro (Chad D.) had to move out of the area for his new job...

Your NEVER too old to start in the MA (IMHO)... Heck! We had a guy in his mid to late 60's testing for 1st Dan a few years back... and he not only passed; but, he's now a 2nd Dan at almost 70!

TANG SOO!

So, don't worry about the age you start training at... just worry about the training...

Best Regards,

Andy

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
started 2 years ago when I was 28. Had to take a few months off, but now I'm back into it.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Started when I was 14, about to turn 28 this month. Haven't stopped for a single day (some days have had more training than others).

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started informally with my dad at 8, began formal training at 11-on my birthday!-and I turned 46 this past June.....no long breaks, but a few style changes or changes in emphasis, or due to moves every couple of years or so......

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started before I was able to walk, my father was a Kung Fu and Chin-Na expert, but as far as training, I was 3 or 4 before I went to the formal school. I see a lot of threads that say kids shouldn't start before 7 or 8, I think that's crazy personally. It's not right to turn our schools into daycare centers, but there is the odd young student who will actually learn. I'm now 28.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was 20 years old when I enrolled in my first art. Had some side training before that. Now almost 34 years later I still find M/A a great hobby and part of who I am.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I started when I was 17 in my senior year of high school. Stopped when I was 22 (Due to circumstances WAY beyond my control, BTY!). Started up again last year (June 2005). I'm currently 25 and I'll be testing for blue belt soon.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was 7 according to my parents I thought I was 8 but I trust them on it. I am will be 30 in November.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started when I was about 25. I stopped a couple of years later right after the birth of my son and I had to take a full time restaurant management job that left little time to work routine training. I started again this past February.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but it might have been in a previous life. :D

Anyhow, like my profile says, I was pretty much born into it in 1960, however I place the official point of beginning to comprehend at age 5 in 1965. I learned grappling from my father (He was a Professional Wrestler in the 50's and 60's), and Judo from my Uncle (3rd Dan, ex-Marine). I studied some Karate and Kung-fu in unofficial terms. Then, in 1975 (age 15) I joined a Judo school, and in 1976 I joined a Taekwondo School.

I earned my 1st Dan in 1978 (age 18), opened my first school later that year, under the direction of my instructor, 4th Dan Alvin Smith (now 8th Dan Grandmaster Smith). I have since earned a Black Belt in Judo, Aikido, and Karate. I am now 46 years old, and have been studying the Martial Art for 41 years, Taekwondo for 30 years, and teaching Taekwondo for 28 years, and I am just getting started - lol. :asian:

Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

Fuzzy Foot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Started at 16, 33yrs ago, you can do the math but I wish you wouldn't. After years of karate, a little over a year ago I started traditional Japanese Sword and feel like a perpetual beginner again. So if you think your too old to start, or start something new, if you have a breath and a pulse put the keyboard down and get going !!

delicate Flower

White Belt
Reaction score
I was exposed to it when I was 13, but being a fat and i mean fat kid like 250 pounds fat, i could not quite do it for obvious reasons, never did put on any more weight but did not find it againg until i was 31 and had lost 50 pounds from weighlifting and cardio, I am 35 now and weigh in at 195, so it has helped me alot, also I dont think looking back I would have been as ready as I was at this time, no I cant kick over my head and do a jumping spinning kick, however as the great Bruce Lee said, why kick so high when you can perfect a low kick and be just as damaging? Each body style is different and performs differently, knowing your body is the first step, and for me at 35 it is very true
food for thought

Latest Discussions