How to attack

D

disciple

I just want to ask how do you guys attack in sparring while the opponent is on guard? My school teach the guard position as the leg is on empty stance (most of the body weight is on the rear leg) and the hands are guarding the chest (similar to boxing)

salute

:asian:

OP
R

Richard S.

in Wing Chun, we always stand strong side foward, mostly right side. but, due to the nature of the techniques, when we spar we are so padded up sometimes it just dont matter..........respects.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by disciple

I just want to ask how do you guys attack in sparring while the opponent is on guard? My school teach the guard position as the leg is on empty stance (most of the body weight is on the rear leg) and the hands are guarding the chest (similar to boxing)

salute

Interesting. If you are talking about point sparring, your stance would make me assume you are a defensive fighter and a front leg kicker.

Most of the sparring done at my school is used as a tool to learn distancing, timing, and so on for self-defense. Weight distrubution is 50/50. This allows maximum mobility in any direction.

OP
S

Shadowdean

Hmm, in most schools, a boxing stance or variation of is taught...when I am teaching someone privately, I try to stress being able to react from any stance...the position you happen to be in when your attacked is your fighting stance...be it laying down, hunched over, walking, etc..

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Zoran. I am a front leg kicker, so I stand with 70% weight on my back leg (left leg back, because my right is more powerful). But then again, my left is quicker, so I could throw a left leg kick, and some people wouldn't know where it came from. I perfer to spar with my left leg back and most of the weight on the back leg, which is ****-backwards the way my TKD teacher teaches. I learned to spar the way I do in TSD and I can't seem to change, but it works for me.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
been thinking about (and working on) this a lot lately. I've trained in a couple different styles - started with boxing, then Uechi-Ryu, then kick boxing, JKD etc etc - and i've had a lot of people tell me "this is the stance to use". IMHO, its a very personal thing, and should be structured to benefit the tools you're most comfortable with. For me, having been boxing since i was 6, its my hands. So i use traditional boxing meets JKD "small phasic bent knee" stance - which are really quite similar in many ways - most weight on your front foot, sideways/diagonal body position. Very good for puching fast and hard, but not so good for kicking.

This causes a lot of trouble for me, because my main training partner is very good kicker - fast and hard. At kicking range, he OWNS me. So i started messing around with my stance, putting more weight on my back foot, to allow faster kicks etc, but this led to a severe degredation of my head/body evasion and punching reach. Still not happy.

So i tried using 2 stances (former for puching, latter for longer kicking range stuff)- and worked on my defence and timing when moving between the two. Results are good - haven't had a shiner over my right eye for months. (i am also now working on a better grappling range position).

my point? umm - i guess its not to lock yourself into a single "stance", and say "i am this type of fighter", because its gonna be pretty easy for a good opponent to recognise what kind of fighter you are, and exploit your weaknesses.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

As far as my stance goes, it depends on which technique I'm thinking of using. Sometimes, my open side is the same as my opponents side. Sometimes my open side is opposite my opponent. Most of my weight is on my rear leg, which makes it easier to push off of if needed or to throw a kick off the front leg quicker. 75% of the time I'm more defensive than offensive. This way the split second my opponent is finished with their attack, their either regrouping, or slightly off-balance.

Anyway...it works for me.

OP
F

fist of fury

we alternate left and right sides but %100 of our weight is on the back leg.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

we alternate left and right sides but %100 of our weight is on the back leg.

If 100% of your weight is on your back leg, how do you stay balanced? It seems like you'd just be balancing on a pole waiting for someone to push you over.

OP
F

fist of fury

The structure of our stance gives us balance as well as mobility.

OP
M

Monkey King

We are taught to use a number of different styles and stances. We have to practice switching legs, being deceptive so the opponent commits.

My personal favorite is a drunken style front stance. because you appear to be wide open but you can quickley move into any offensive or defensive technique.

I never use the same stance when sparring.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

The structure of our stance gives us balance as well as mobility.

I'm sorry. I was just picturing those people who stand against their opponent with their lead leg stuck in the air the whole match waiting for an opportunity to kick the other guy.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have fought excellent fighters who come out of a back stance (Shotokan) and I did not think they would have nearly the mobility of someone in a more conventional 50-50 weight distribution stance, be it Kenpo's neutral bow, or a modified boxing stance. Guess what, I was wrong. They trained it enough so that they were suprisingly fast off that back leg. It was not a setup for a front leg kick at all.

You are how you train. Guess if I tied myself to a wall with bungee cords, then stretched them and had to spar someone, I would learn to keep my balance regardless of the stance also.

Unconventional does not mean bad, or slow - as I found out in this case to my regret. And just because I am paranoid does not mean someone is not out to get me.

Michael B.

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Ty K. Doe

I'm sorry. I was just picturing those people who stand against their opponent with their lead leg stuck in the air the whole match waiting for an opportunity to kick the other guy.
That's ok you just got it confused with mr Miyagi's crane kick which if used correctly "no can defend":D

We keep both feet planted firmly on the ground.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by disciple

salute

I don't.

Wait for him to move, because any movment will give an openning.

Of course this is the ideal situation. If there is a need for me to make the frst move, I would start off by trying to get by his outerside, ie. if his right hand is in front, then I'd move to his right side.

If I can't then I'd try and go for the arm or leg that's closest to me, unless it seems like a decoy.

I know there is alot of what if's. But mostly I'll "wait" for the person, or make an oppening for him to attack.

/Yari

Latest Discussions