Votes: 30 8.7%
  • not involved with martial arts

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm a purple belt in BJJ. Whatever that means to you guys. Been at it for almost 6 years now.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Made black belt September 1, 1974. I didn't miss one class for my first seven years. If hurt, I sat in back and took notes, especially during sparring. I had a book on everyone in the dojo. I love what Martial Arts has become, popular. Lots of great styles and systems everywhere. So many good people teaching, students training, competitions everywhere, forums like this one going on. The idea of sitting in my living room, "talking chop" with other crazy people from all over the world, who love training as much as I do - this is just nuts. Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime.

For whatever flaws any of us may have in our arts - it's really a great time to be a Martial Artist.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I belong to the M.A.D club here on MT. A newly formed club, on the last person thread. :) M.A.D stands for "Martial Arts Dinosaurs". Not trying to be hard on myself, but it is what it is.

I started training in 1966 and made Black Belt on July 15th 1970, and have trained consistently over 45yrs.

Both my instructors within the past few years have passed, RIP.

If I may, I will echo what Buka said above, and add, that looking back it was the best of times making many life long friends.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I belong to the M.A.D club here on MT. A newly formed club, on the last person thread. :) M.A.D stands for "Martial Arts Dinosaurs". Not trying to be hard on myself, but it is what it is.

I started training in 1966 and made Black Belt on July 15th 1970, and have trained consistently over 45yrs.

Both my instructors within the past few years have passed, RIP.

If I may, I will echo what Buka said above, and add, that looking back it was the best of times making many life long friends.

I began training CMA in 1981. There are definite peaks and valleys, as with anything in life, but I shudder to think who or what I would be had I not walked into that school all those years ago.
I get down at times when I think about so many of my fellow classmates who have quit over the years but you inspire me. You do your teachers proud.

Restita D.

White Belt
Reaction score
I began training in 1978, receiving my 1st black belt in 1982. I agree with Yak, lots of peaks and valleys, and I love the journey. :-D

-Restita

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I began training in 1978, receiving my 1st black belt in 1982. I agree with Yak, lots of peaks and valleys, and I love the journey. :-D

-Restita

Welcome Restita! Great to see you here :asian:

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hold a black belt in the Jedi Arts!!!:jediduel:

In seriousness, I hold a shodan in Goju-ryu Karate. I graded for black belt in November 2009, recieved the title as Sempai in August 2011.

jron

White Belt
Reaction score
I have one, but still, a black belt is not an indicator of ability and is in my opinion a false rank if it goes beyond stating that you understand the basics. That is all it's good for.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have one, but in today's martial market it doesn't mean much. Even being a 7-10th Dan doesn't mean much because of the proliferation of rank and faking of rank!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have one, but in today's martial market it doesn't mean much. Even being a 7-10th Dan doesn't mean much because of the proliferation of rank and faking of rank!
It still means something. Realistically, outside of people you know from training, how many black belts do you know? In this day people cant stick to anything for longer than a couple of months. MA is no exception, at least 90% of all the new students I meet will be well and truly gone before reaching black belt. Its value may have diminished somewhat, but its still quite an achievment. I know for me personally, I dont know any any black belts out of all my mates and mates of mates.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one, but still, a black belt is not an indicator of ability and is in my opinion a false rank if it goes beyond stating that you understand the basics. That is all it's good for.[/QUOTE]

Well, it does hold the Gi top together also, that is, if you have a Gi on. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It still means something. Realistically, outside of people you know from training, how many black belts do you know? In this day people cant stick to anything for longer than a couple of months. MA is no exception, at least 90% of all the new students I meet will be well and truly gone before reaching black belt. Its value may have diminished somewhat, but its still quite an achievment. I know for me personally, I dont know any any black belts out of all my mates and mates of mates.
Yes, especially when someone outside of Martial Arts says "you have a black belt, show me something"..... :uhyeah:

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, especially when someone outside of Martial Arts says "you have a black belt, show me something"..... :uhyeah:
Yeah, its always funny when someone finds out you're a black belt and says "show me something". I mean, what exactly do they think you are going to show them? Seriously though, most non martial arts people are still very impressed when they find out you are a black belt, so it obviously hasnt lost all its 'stigma'.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You have a valid point Ralph. A BB is a personal thing that normally won't have much value or perhaps total value outside of yourself and your 'group'. But overall, it is still an goal that most will never achieve. Many societies these days (West & East) are fast-food societies so spending effort for perhaps several years and achieving a BB is still a rare and laudable thing.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Black Belt in TKD. Although, the system I'm involved with now, does not use any belt system!

Latest Discussions