Votes: 30 8.7%
  • not involved with martial arts

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have had black cloth for a while but I have to say that wearing it is sometimes a catch 22. I have seen fighters that in six months of sincere training could wipe up the floor with most people (BB/expert or not). And I have seen some self proclaimed masters sporting belts that look like they were fabricated in Las Vegas that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

I have to agree with the above post on the issue. Your skill should determine your focus in the arts...not what level or belt you wrap up in.

Although I am proud of the cloth (level of instruction) i have received so far, I always like stepping onto the floor when there are no belts involved (such as my JKD class) and playing with the new guys/gals. They have no clue who I am at the school (Jr grade wannabe instructor...) and when the workout starts...they just relax and we have a good class. WHen i have on the cloth... working with some of the newer students is kinda wierd sometimes as they start all the bowing and screaming YESSIR! at all sorts of decibles...and they concentrate so hard on the fact that an "expert" is training with them that they get all tight and rigid in their manner and training.

One of the old stories that I use to hear a lot from my aikido friends ( and I cannot speak to the truth of the matter) was the fact that even though it was considered gendai budo (modern martial way), In his Aikdo, Ueshiba use to wear a white sash under his hakama.

I like the belt for it's actual use however, to keep be clothed from the waist down and to stick expensive cutlery in...

Regards,
Walt

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forgotten all about this thread.

I finally got around to voting black belt and it reminded me to change my profile...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes a blackbelt in life and on the mat, but I like to know one other aspect from those of you that posted on this thread does a BB make a fighter in your mind or jsut knows the material enough to be a BB. Thanks

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think it really depends on the system. Look at boxers...they don't wear funny colored cloth and some of them could clean out the average black belt class...

If the room is filled with Pro-Shop Grandmasters whose uniforms look like billboards and has a belt with neone lights at the end... I would say...ummm... no, no matter what is around the waiste there are no experts there.

Go to Okinawa and track down some one who does one of the big 5 (Uechi-ryu, Goju-ryu...etc..etc). Challenge the oldest grungiest cat on the floor to a match and see how long you last. You might have just encountered an expert (read:black belt...yadda...yadda.).

Regards,
Walt

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was awarded my 4th dan in Karate just before christmas.

looking forward to getting my next dan grade in kobujitsu this year

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have several black belts.. I usually only wear them to keep my holster and other belt gear in place :ultracool

Usually wear a brown belt though :)

K

Knifehand

I'm a yellow belt. I test for my orange belt tomorrow... wish me luck

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I voted that my system doesn't have a ranking system because, AFAIK, traditional Chinese martial arts don't. At least our teacher never said anything about one, so I assumed we didn't have a ranking system. As far as ability levels go, I'm definitely a beginner. I'm not really surprised by the poll results though. It seems like there are a lot of serious martial artists here, so I'd expect a lot of them to have reach an advanced/black belt level in their systems. It's nice to know that there are so many experienced artists willing to share and spread their knowledge with everyone else on the board.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...someone must have voted, because this is at the top of the new posts list....

I have two black belts now...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hadn't seen this one... I am kind of wondering what you meant by 'intermediate' black belt, as compared to beginner and advanced.

I chose intermediate because, as a IV Dan, I am an 'expert', on a scale that goes novice (I-III Dan), expert (IV-VI Dan), and master (VII-IX)... but I'm wondering if other styles/organizations follow a similar system.

patroldawg27

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1st Dan Black Belt in a combined system....mostly Tae Kwon Do with ju-jitsu, judo, and aikido. Looking to start over as a white belt in gracie jiu-jitsu in the not too distant future.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kacey said:
Hadn't seen this one... I am kind of wondering what you meant by 'intermediate' black belt, as compared to beginner and advanced.

I chose intermediate because, as a IV Dan, I am an 'expert', on a scale that goes novice (I-III Dan), expert (IV-VI Dan), and master (VII-IX)... but I'm wondering if other styles/organizations follow a similar system.

Kacey, I believe the "Beginner, and Intermediate" options in the poll refer to color belt (IE: Beginner = 9th grade, 8th grade, 7th grade; Intermediate = 6th grade, 5th grade, and 4th grade). The top box is if you are a Black Belt (any degree) or and "Advanced" color belt, close to being a Black Belt. At least, that's the way I interpreted it. :)

As for me, I have studied the Martial Art since 1965 (age 5), and have attained various levels of Black Belt Degrees in Judo, Aikido, and Karate, but I switched to Taekwondo in 1976, became a 1st Dan in 1978, and have been teaching ever since (41 years in MA, 30 years in Taekwondo, 28 years teaching). My current rank is 6th Dan, Chief Master with the U.S. Chung Do Kwan Association. :asian:

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah... that's what I get for posting when I'm tired... sigh...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At 2nd dan, I'm just a hair behind Master Eisenhart. I should catch him when I'm, hmm, 90 or so. :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions