• not involved with martial arts

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of the MartialTalk users are of black belt (or equivalent) rank?

- Ceicei

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted for Black Belt Rank and also for No Rank, as one art I am involved in has Rank and the other does not.

:cool:

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. I have two dan ranks (1 6th Dan, one 2nd Dan), however I don't associate with either group any longer. In fact, I completely elminated the belt system from what I teach.

M

MartialArtsChic

Awww, couldn't you have waited til after April to ask this, then I could say ME!!!!!!!!! :)

K

Kempo Guy

I also voted for no rank, as the art I'm currently involved in does not use a ranking structure (actually one of them do but by way of lisences).

However, I do have Dan ranking in four different arts although I no longer practice any of these.

KG

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted for one of each (except the "not involved" one) because while I have 3 black belts (or equivalent), I'm also intermediate level in one of the systems I study, a beginner in another system, and one of the systems I train in doesn't have any ranks (except "student" and "instructor").

Mike

R

Reprobate

My rank is considered equal to shodan. It took me almost eight years to reach this lofty position. Damn, I'm slow...

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Had to vote no rank as there isn't one in Systema, but I do have a black in ITF TKD and 3rd brown in american kenpo (epak).

:p

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am curious also. I am not counting my rank in each of the Arts I have trained in.

It appears he is asking the level of the people who visit this forum. Mike, you are being disingenuos by voting for all of them (and skewing the stats)

I vote for one vote per person, and how about for your HIGHEST RANK OBTAINED (OR EQUIVALENT) IN ANY OF YOUR SYSTEMS? That should give us a more accurate reading instead of having multiple votes for each of our multiple personalities.
:D

-MB

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mr. Billings.

One correction to your post: I'm a she.

When I created this poll, I made it so multiple choices could be chosen. I suppose I could have made it a one-choice only poll, but I knew that there were several who hold more than one rank. I think its too late though to change the poll.

What I am looking for is what percentage of various ranks are present, not necessarily what the highest rank is per person. I was curious to see, indirectly, what experience range is shown on MartialTalk.

- Ceicei

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Black belts mean different things among different arts. I don't know that this poll will really tell you much. But since you asked, I am 1st dan in TKD. But that really shouldn't mean jack squat to anyone in a different art, or even a different organization. :)

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zepp
Black belts mean different things among different arts. I don't know that this poll will really tell you much. But since you asked, I am 1st dan in TKD. But that really shouldn't mean jack squat to anyone in a different art, or even a different organization. :)

That's why I kept the choices broad. I know each system is different and ranking system (if any) would also differ. However, almost all do distinguish who is a beginner, intermediate, or advanced within their systems. Basically just looking at experience range.

- Ceicei

P

paihequan

This is a kinda tricky one to answer as traditionally my art (Paihequan) does not have ranks.

We are old school, that means it does not have ranking
system. In the old days, there were no ranking but life and death to determine the result, which may not be practical in today's environment. It just passes down from generations to generations.

This being said, I have introduced a "Ranking System" to cater for our membership. It is based around the learning of the forms, applications and two person drills.

C

clapping_tiger

I voted for Black. I have a 1st degree Black Belt in Chinese Kenpo.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a 2nd black in TKD, but even though I learned the art (as opposed to the sport), I felt it didn't have a "soul", and so I've switch to others. I'm now a white belt in taido, shaolin kung-fu, and ikkyu in kendo

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoops!

Sorry, I should have known from your name, but do I check profiles? Obviously not. I won't make the mistake again.

Good Poll, even if it can be skewed, just needed to let us know your intent.

Oss,
-Michael

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1st Black TKD (College club)
7th gyup TKD (ACTA)
White belt, Shotokan Karate

Mostly, still a beginner, although, really, that old black belt from my small college club means the most to me.

Latest Discussions