Statistics anyone?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's an observation that generally, in most styles, especially in color ranking systems, there are fewer students in higher ranks.

A friend mentioned once, "Don't trust a school that has 'too many' blackbelts."

Anyway, I'm wondering about some statistics. Say hypothetically, we have 100 students enrolled. About how many roughly will stay on consistently to be black belts? About how many will keep returning several times after several long absences over the years, and then finally get a black belt? How many will start and quit, never to return?

- Ceicei

I guess what I am trying to say is, what brings you to martial arts? What is your story?

L

lvwhitebir

It, of course, depends on the school. Particularly on the requirements to obtain black and length of time. But I would estimate that 1% make it all the way through.

My instructor has had his school for over 14 years and has only about a dozen black belts. Not that I'm proud of that fact, there should be a lot more. Our requirements aren't that strict or strange either.

WhiteBirch

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last statistic I heard was 1 out of every 1100 people who start martial arts training become black belts.
I believe this because it seems like a very high percentage of men that I have met in my life have taken some martial arts training, either as a kid or adult. But very few have become black belts.

S

Shinzu

im not sure of the stats but i have seen alot of students drop out at mid evel rank. they often feel that things are becoming to "boring" and "repetitious" & that they are not going anywhere. when in fact they are just getting their feet wet before learning how to swim.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by John Bishop
Last statistic I heard was 1 out of every 1100 people who start martial arts training become black belts.
I believe this because it seems like a very high percentage of men that I have met in my life have taken some martial arts training, either as a kid or adult. But very few have become black belts.

It appears that this stat must not include the Mc Dojangs/Mc Dojos of the MA world. Just from my own observation it seems that these types of BB factories churn out a much higher number of BLACKs on a regular basis. BLACKs I might add that are ill prepared and badly trained IMHO.

I dunno, but it seems that if you were to throw in the Mc Dojos, then the percentage of MAtists making it to BLACK would be higher... :idunno:

:uhyeah: