How important is sparring in traditonal karate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was having a little fun with part, 'twas too tempting to resist....

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument!

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

M: It's just contradiction!

Yeah but you are missig a huge part of the kata explanation. The bit where you show it works so I don't have to just believe you.

I mean ok. Not your argument then. Your explanation requires my belief. I have to believe you used it effectively. just like you have to believe I fought a dragon or there is no Argument/explanation.

I can explain how big the dragon was. And how drop bear fu was effective. A breakdown of fire blocks and such. But at some point I have to show the whole thing isn't just made up.

Or all the understanding in the world doesn't really matter.

Do you at least understand that?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he has developed similar stuff but independently. John deliberately hasn't trained with Iain so he can't be accused of punching his stuff :). I train with John once a year when he comes up to my part of the UK. Great guy.

I'm quite liking his website and videos. Smart to keep what he offers separate from Iain. Good to get different perspectives on bunkai.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with his club. How are you defining sparring? Are you talkng about sport/competion sparring?

Traditional to me means before Karate became a sport, so I would not expect to see any sport/competion sparring. Most modern clubs call themselves traditional, but are in fact nothing of the sort.
No. I mean actual sparring. not sport.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is your definition of actual sparring as opposed to sport sparring?
actual sparring hurts more if you get hit right? obviously you wanna be careful not to hurt your opponent. i cant speak for sport sparring as ive never actually payed much attention to sport MA

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
actual sparring hurts more if you get hit right? obviously you wanna be careful not to hurt your opponent. i cant speak for sport sparring as ive never actually payed much attention to sport MA
I don't find that to be any kind of definition of anything.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

This is sports sparring.

This is self defence sparring.

In sport you wear protective gear. There is a ref. And rules. The surface is padded and there is no ability to access weapons.

In self defence there may be weapons, there is no ref, the ground may not be predictable and you are not wearing padding.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An example of sport sparring...

Looks pretty painful. Ok, maybe not sparring, but sport nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions