How important is sparring in traditonal karate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradderzH

White Belt
Reaction score
How important is sparring in terms of traditional karate and self defence?

I am a recent black belt in Karate (I only got it a year ago) and I have never sparred. Our organisation prides itself on being a traditional club, and whenever I mention sparring i am told we do it in the form of bunkai (application of kata or forms). I understand this is learning about how to apply the kata in a self defence situation but to me it feels very controlled. We know what is coming.

I have no interest in competition, but the fact that I have never even been in a real fight let alone a sparring session worries me.

Should I be worried? Should I be sparring in order to become a better martial artist? Or am I just overthinking this?

Thanks for reading.

H

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're going to get a lot of different opinions about this, so take them with a grain of salt.
What you might want to do is spend a year or so at a dojo that spars as part of their curriculum. A year is just a flicker of time, it's no big deal. Than you'll have first hand experience to answer your own question. And it more than likely will be a whole lot of fun.

I read all your posts, makes me wonder, you mentioned "when I spar next time". I'm confused, what's up with that, bro?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sparring is crucial. Everything changes when both people are moving and trying to attack while avoiding each other's attacks.

It's like learning to drive or fly in a simulator. It'll teach you but it won't be the same as apply. Weather conditions in a simulator is not the same as driving in real rain. Self-defense is like that. The closer you can get to the real thing the better. Cardio endurance requirements will probably be you biggest surprise.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What style of karate do you do? 'Karate' is a very general word often used for things that aren't actually karate as such. Instructors have different ideas on many things, some have no time for kata Bunkai, some teach wonderful pragmatic karate, some focus on sparring for competitions and/or kata for competitions. some concentrate on self defence techniques.
Most of us consider sparring and especially quite realistic hard contact sparring to be crucial ( and great fun I should add!) however others don't.
I think the question though you didn't mean it be is hugely vague and you won't get many answers that address your question directly because we can't. 'Traditional' is also something that is disputed, prhaps if you tell us what your style is, how the classes are conducted and how long you have been training we can give our opinions on your information.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your intent is self defense sparring will definitely help.

If you are interested in sparring just to try it out definitely find some where to try it...lot of fun.

If you just enjoy the training at your dojo and not really interested in sparring then don't worry about it. Don't worry about others opinions of your skill as a MA are.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

"Traditional karate" is something that is going to have a lot of different meanings.

But if the traditions of your style dictate no sparring, then no sparring is "traditional".

For me that makes little sense, unless what you are doing is defined as a cultural tradition or a performance art. If you are learning things designed to work against other people that are resisting... you need to train against other people that are resisting. Seems like saying "My style of 'traditional' Basketball doesn't involve playing against another team, we just do drills." Until you play against another team, you're not really playing the game.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read all your posts, makes me wonder, you mentioned "when I spar next time". I'm confused, what's up with that, bro?

In his first post (from 3 years ago) he says:

We have had a few sparring sessions, no 'wing chun vs karate' nonsense, just one of us throwing a few punches and the other using the respective techniques to dispose of the attacker

So it sounds like he wasn't really doing what we would call sparring at the point - just taking turns with his friend feeding attacks to be countered. Probably in the intervening years he's learned to use the terminology more accurately.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll get different viewpoints from different people. In my opinion sparring is extremely important and there is not substitute for it if you want to develop fighting ability. Mind you - there is a considerable variation in how people approach sparring and I think that some versions are much more useful than others.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
If it is for self-defense, the application aspect of sparring is essential. If it is more sport oriented, then maybe not.
I see sparring as a way to test how techniques and skills are applied to an actual person while allowing room for growth without being killed. It also helps train the mind to recognise, predict and react t moves. Without this, the self-defense aspect of the art is incomplete.

This is, of course, just based mon my experiences.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find sparring to be important. You see it when some spar and their technique goes out the window. Others spar and are all technique, but they don't adapt them to the necessities of sparring. The give and take of sparring, whether light or reasonably hard, lets a karateka test technique, learn to adapt technique, and learn to flow from one technique into another without thinking, as the need arises.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I am a recent black belt in Karate (I only got it a year ago) and I have never sparred. Our organisation prides itself on being a traditional club, and whenever I mention sparring i am told we do it in the form of bunkai (application of kata or forms). I understand this is learning about how to apply the kata in a self defence situation but to me it feels very controlled. We know what is coming.

I have no interest in competition, but the fact that I have never even been in a real fight let alone a sparring session worries me.

Should I be worried? Should I be sparring in order to become a better martial artist? Or am I just overthinking this?

Thanks for reading.

H
It sounds like you're interested in finding out how well YOU can apply the skills you've learned. This is only natural and I believe it's very healthy.

You have many options. If you're interested in how well you can apply skills with other karateka, find some like-minded peers and get together on the weekend for some friendly sparring.

If you're interested in self defense, I'd recommend opening that up to other styles and systems. It doesn't have to be about ego or even about cross training. It's about you practicing what you're learning with other like-minded martial artists. It's not karate vs wrestling (or whatever). It's about YOUR karate in a variety of contexts.

OP
B

BradderzH

White Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you're interested in finding out how well YOU can apply the skills you've learned. This is only natural and I believe it's very healthy.

You have many options. If you're interested in how well you can apply skills with other karateka, find some like-minded peers and get together on the weekend for some friendly sparring.

If you're interested in self defense, I'd recommend opening that up to other styles and systems. It doesn't have to be about ego or even about cross training. It's about you practicing what you're learning with other like-minded martial artists. It's not karate vs wrestling (or whatever). It's about YOUR karate in a variety of contexts.

This is a good response that i will take on board.

OP
B

BradderzH

White Belt
Reaction score
Allow me to clarify:

By 'Sparring' i meant blocking or defending an attack and then responding in a situation where the attack will be resisting, and where i will not know what is going to be coming in terms of a kick, punch, grab etc.

My style is Shito Ryu, but after getting my black belt I have started doing a bit of Shorin Ryu.

My aims for training is mainly for self defence but after starting Karate I really grew to love it. It would just be good to try applications of kata in a more 'real' setting than controlled rolling bunkai.

Hope this helps, let me know if i need to explain anything else.

H

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would just be good to try applications of kata in a more 'real' setting than controlled rolling bunkai.

The chap you want for that is Iain Abernethy, absolutely brilliant with Bunkai. Try his seminars, you will come away having learnt a lot as well as enjoying the atmosphere he engenders.

By 'Sparring' i meant blocking or defending an attack and then responding in a situation where the attack will be resisting, and where i will not know what is going to be coming in terms of a kick, punch, grab etc.

Sparring to most of us means 'fighting' but with control and usually less than full contact. I think what you mean is more the one and three step sparring that TKD and TSD people do.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sparring to most of us means 'fighting' but with control and usually less than full contact. I think what you mean is more the one and three step sparring that TKD and TSD people do.

At My Tang Soo Do studio, we will have free sparring, 1-3 step, and then a combination of both. It is usually beneficial, and quite fun. Then you get someone who likes takedowns and it turns into a "who can throw who first" game. Still a lot of fun.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We refer to both ippon kumite (one step sparring or techniques) and jiyu kumite (free sparring). We make time for both, each have their place.

When doing jiyu kumite, we make sure we communicate well with our partner. We will speed up, slow down, hit harder, hit softer, etc, as we are able to give and receive. The intent is never to injure our partner, nor to show them how good we are compared to them (or vice-versa). Kumite is a teaching-learning environment. If a senior student is paired with a junior student, the senior should focus on good clean technique in defense, but allow the junior partner to control the intensity and speed of the kumite, letting them work on their defense and attacks rather than attempting to overwhelm them or show off. Kumite is not a contest in the dojo; we are partners training together and both aim at common goals. To learn, to enjoy, and to go home relatively uninjured.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know, sparring has little importance in many traditional karate styles. Sparring is fun, if well managed*. I think you're missing the best bit.

*it is still training, so one should forget about 'winning' and focus in learning something specific each session. Start slow and light, without risk of (serious) injuries, without fear or any strong emotion. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.