How hard is it to become proficient in weapons based martial arts compared to physical fighting ones?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It certainly does. And I certainly was NOT asking a non question my friend.
If you genuinely think that my habits listed above, without having any idea of what my goals were, what my current goals are, what my level were in either art, how much time I spend on my current art, what the quality of any of those practices are, and how much free time I have, provides you with useful information I don't think there's a purpose in continuing this. There are just too many variables for that information to meaningfully guide you at all.

OP
F

Flyingknee

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you genuinely think that my habits listed above, without having any idea of what my goals were, what my current goals are, what my level were in either art, how much time I spend on my current art, what the quality of any of those practices are, and how much free time I have, provides you with useful information I don't think there's a purpose in continuing this. There are just too many variables for that information to meaningfully guide you at all.

It's certainly better than the non-answer above. And if you don't think there's a purpose in continuing this then...don't.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people baffled by your attitude. I feel like you're looking for a precise formula to address a question that's full of vague definitions and personal interpretations. There's no magic answer that details precisely how many hours, what sequence, etc. that would require. Because what you asked was about the abstract idea of proficiency. Define it in concrete terms and you might have something to work with. How do you define proficiency and how are you measuring it? Start there and you might get more precise answers.

OP
F

Flyingknee

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people baffled by your attitude. I feel like you're looking for a precise formula to address a question that's full of vague definitions and personal interpretations. There's no magic answer that details precisely how many hours, what sequence, etc. that would require. Because what you asked was about the abstract idea of proficiency. Define it in concrete terms and you might have something to work with. How do you define proficiency and how are you measuring it? Start there and you might get more precise answers.

I'll add you to the list of people I don't want to hear from then.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fellas, cut Flying Knee some slack, he's new here.

Tell ya what, Flying Knee, if you ever vacation on Maui I'll hook you up with some guys that train the weapons your interested in. For free, they just train.

I'll even meet you at the airport.

OP
F

Flyingknee

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Fellas, cut Flying Knee some slack, he's new here.

Tell ya what, Flying Knee, if you ever vacation on Maui I'll hook you up with some guys that train the weapons your interested in. For free, they just train.

I'll even meet you at the airport.

I'm not sure....

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'll add you to the list of people I don't want to hear from then.
That's your call. But the questions I asked and the suggestions I made were sincere. I genuinely believe that clarifying those things is the key to as concrete an answer as you're going to get. And as for your attitude, I said I was baffled. And I stand by that. I'm confused by it. I genuinely think people are telling you what you need to hear. But by all means, build your list. I just think you're going to find that you consigned a lot of very useful voices to that list, which will damage your cause in the long run. A thing can be what you didn't want to hear without being the wrong answer.

OP
F

Flyingknee

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's your call. But the questions I asked and the suggestions I made were sincere. I genuinely believe that clarifying those things is the key to as concrete an answer as you're going to get. And as for your attitude, I said I was baffled. And I stand by that. I'm confused by it. I genuinely think people are telling you what you need to hear. But by all means, build your list. I just think you're going to find that you consigned a lot of very useful voices to that list, which will damage your cause in the long run. A thing can be what you didn't want to hear without being the wrong answer.

I thought you were done with this thread.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started with a weapon based art (FMA - Modern Arnis) and later picked up Balintawak.
I am one of the seniors of the later, and one of two specially asked to teach and carry on for the Grandmaster who taught us personally.
I like weapons, I like how they teach movement.
There are similarities. There was differences or optimization.

Thrusting / Piercing weapons have certain attributes.
Slashing have other attributes.
Chopping & Bludgeoning have very similar attributes with very different weapons,
Body work can be optimized for each
Hand position and techniques can also be optimized.
So very much similar and very much different.
One cannot say the one without the other.

As to teaching and then moving on, then just go get your belt or stripe or patch for that weapon and then move on.
Your Skill Set would at best stay close, and normally would decrease over time with lack of timing and precision and practice.
Staying in the game, is important. Of course one can have a favorite and practice that one more. That is human nature.

Latest Discussions