How effective is the striking art?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is an example that if you have enough courage to move in, to achieve a "clinch" is not that difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is an example that if you have enough courage to move in, to achieve a "clinch" is not that difficult.

A clinch is not an arm wrap. I have no issue with clinching. I just support striking my way into and out of one.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A clinch is not an arm wrap. I have no issue with clinching. I just support striking my way into and out of one.
When you have

- head lock,
- double neck tie, or
- double over hooks,

you have arm wrap. The head lock will help you to pull your opponent's head into you which will help you to obtain your "arm wrap". The "arm wrap" is part of your "clinch".

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The fact I don't see bas ever doing it.

If you can show bas rutten wrapping arms in a street fight go for it.
I posted two videos, with the time, of Bas demonstrating just that.

You won't find any video of Bas in a street fight because he is not stupid. Firstly, like the rest of us who teach self defence it would be extremely unlikely for Bas to engage in a street fight. There are too many intangibles. Bas is not a street fighter. He is a karateka and former UFC champion and a really nice guy. The fact that he teaches techniques does not mean he uses them on the street. In fact outside of LEOs and security guys I don't know of any black belts who have engaged in a street fight in the past 10 years. I know heaps who have defused potentially nasty situations.

That is why I have an issue with your claims of easily handling all the black belts you told us about earlier. In the general population black belts would be outnumbered hundreds to one, so in a hundred fights I reckon it would be unlikely you would find even one black belt. So for you to have defeated all the guys you have found that you handled so easily with your MMA training, you must be a born street fighter and extremely lucky not to have spent time in jail. I mean even the rolling guillotine you told us you performed is categorised in some areas as intention to seriously injure or even attempted murder. To use that type of technique outside of a life and death situation on the street is beyond my understanding.

That all flies in the face of self defence logic. If someone had to fight once in self defence in Australia I would call that really unlucky. To have to fight twice would be unlikely. To be in three fights, I would really be questioning his self defence skills. That is what people have been trying to explain to you. The fact that you have been in so many fights means you have no idea of self defence. The primary aim of self defence is not having to fight.

I would call a fight resisted.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWx9Zq2zNo

And he is not catching people in arm wraps.

It is really hard to do.
Once again you have posted a video of a contest, not a fight. In many sports like MuayThai, Kickboxing and Boxing you can't wrap someone's arm. It is against the rules. Why would they bother learning to trap an arm when the rules of their sport doesn't allow it?

So, no, it is not hard to do. If you train for it it is easy to do. Whether you would ever do it against a punch depends on the situation you find yourself in. It is the major tool for Krav's defence against weapons.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I posted two videos, with the time, of Bas demonstrating just that.

You won't find any video of Bas in a street fight because he is not stupid. Firstly, like the rest of us who teach self defence it would be extremely unlikely for Bas to engage in a street fight. There are too many intangibles. Bas is not a street fighter. He is a karateka and former UFC champion and a really nice guy. The fact that he teaches techniques does not mean he uses them on the street. In fact outside of LEOs and security guys I don't know of any black belts who have engaged in a street fight in the past 10 years. I know heaps who have defused potentially nasty situations.

That is why I have an issue with your claims of easily handling all the black belts you told us about earlier. In the general population black belts would be outnumbered hundreds to one, so in a hundred fights I reckon it would be unlikely you would find even one black belt. So for you to have defeated all the guys you have found that you handled so easily with your MMA training, you must be a born street fighter and extremely lucky not to have spent time in jail. I mean even the rolling guillotine you told us you performed is categorised in some areas as intention to seriously injure or even attempted murder. To use that type of technique outside of a life and death situation on the street is beyond my understanding.

That all flies in the face of self defence logic. If someone had to fight once in self defence in Australia I would call that really unlucky. To have to fight twice would be unlikely. To be in three fights, I would really be questioning his self defence skills. That is what people have been trying to explain to you. The fact that you have been in so many fights means you have no idea of self defence. The primary aim of self defence is not having to fight.

Once again you have posted a video of a contest, not a fight. In many sports like MuayThai, Kickboxing and Boxing you can't wrap someone's arm. It is against the rules. Why would they bother learning to trap an arm when the rules of their sport doesn't allow it?

So, no, it is not hard to do. If you train for it it is easy to do. Whether you would ever do it against a punch depends on the situation you find yourself in. It is the major tool for Krav's defence against weapons.

Sorry I meant hard to do resisted.
Not drills.
Either In a comp or in a fight but with the person actually stopping you from arm wrapping.

Obviously in mma or vale tudo you can wrap an arm if you want.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YTIv8fGkVpE

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you have

- head lock,
- double neck tie, or
- double over hooks,

you have arm wrap. The head lock will help you to pull your opponent's head into you which will help you to obtain your "arm wrap". The "arm wrap" is part of your "clinch".

You originally posted a video of a guy snatching an arm out of mid air and securing it. Which is hard. Good clinching is easier.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way we did that drill last night. where one Person grapples and one person punches. Pretty much the puncher grapples and punches so you still really need to do both.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More testing had been done on this method yesterday. 6 rounds was tested with 20 head shots each round. In all 6 rounds (120 head shots), 0 head shot was landed. Also most of the arm wrapping could be done on the 2nd punches.

Latest Discussions