Wrestling art and striking art integration

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just borrow this picture from another thread. IMO, it's an excellent example for the wrestling art and striking art integration.

head-lock-uppercut.jpg

It's "head lock" 101 - a hook punch, uppercut combo. It may be illegal in boxing, but it's perfect legal in Sanda.

When you throw a hook punch,

- if you can get your opponent into a head lock, you can punch on his face because you have a good control on his head.
- if your opponent dodges under your arm, you can use side punch (spin back fist) to hit on the side of his head.

A hook punch can be a

- head lock,
- downward parry,
- spiral punch,
- wrist grab.

With that understanding, you can integrate your striking art and wrestling art together. The moment that you understand a head lock can turn into a face punch, the moment that you have moved out of your wrestling and integrate with your striking.

This is why sport is just your path (you have illegal technique restriction). The combat should be your goal (you don't have to follow any rule).

Your thought?

clinch-uppercut.gif

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting how the video clip almost exactly matches that old boxing book cover. Is the video of Sanda? My understanding is that it's a more recent Chinese combined art / sport? I've seen this done illegally in boxing quite often.)

I think one of the takeaways here is how effectively one can transition from one art to another. Knowing when to "let go", literally as well as figuratively, and change tactical approach is key. The ability to be flexible as the situation requires is one of the basic concepts of MA.

Not to say it's bad to study a single MA style since many of them have some variety built in (at least at more advanced levels). But in actual combat, one should take what the opponent gives you. Two old quotes come to mind: "The opponent will give you the means by which to defeat him." And, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Summing up - To take advantage of such opportunities, I see four main requirements:

1. Be balanced and ready to instantly react
2. Be able to expand and contract according to distance
3. Keep a flexible mind to allow quick change of tactics
4. OK to have a main fighting style, but have a few moves from another's tool bag.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is the video of Sanda?
My student and I brought his Sanda team to compete in Taiwan many years ago.

4. OK to have a main fighting style, but have a few moves from another's tool bag.
This is a very good point.

In Chinese wrestling, when you use under hook to press down your opponent's shoulder, you can knee strike to his face. It's also illegal in Chinese wrestling as a sport, but it's an excellent combat technique. Another good example of wrestling art and striking art integration.

Does a wrestler need to learn knee strike from other MA system? That wrestler may be able to create that tool by himself.

Both are good examples of striking art and wrestling art integration:

- Head lock, uppercut.
- Under hook leg spring, knee strike.

under-hook-spring.gif

Last edited: