Anti-striking

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is the "big fist" strategy:

- Hold both of your hands into a big fist.
- Hide your head behind it.
- Extend your arms toward at your opponent's face.
- Move in toward your opponent and try to use your big fist to hit on his face.
- When your opponent tries to hit your head, you use your big fist along with wedged arms to deflect your opponent's head shots.
- When your hands are close to your opponent's head, use head lock, and take him down ASAP.

Just made some video in my today's class. All comments are welcome.

1. Use "big fist" to hit on your opponent's head. The training is done for chest punch instead.

2. Use "big fist" to deflect incoming punches.

3. Use "big fist" to create a "clinch".

4. Use "big fist" to create a "clinch", use "clinch" to create "throw".

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What happens if I grab both your hands down with one of mine and then punch?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What happens if I "grab" ...?
If your hand can touch my arm, my arm can wrap your arm too. A grapplier should not care about his opponent to play the grappling game with him. If you consider yourself as an octopus, you will love to play the clinching game with any fish or another octopus.

The main purpose of this strategy is to change a striking game into a grappling game ASAP. Your opponent's "grabbing" intention can help you to get into "clinch" even faster.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll call it big fist with wedged arms.

I looked like had the attacker tried a little harder with the uppercut he could have done damage. A few shots looked like they were going to land but the attacker pulled back. Also Id like to see the attacker push/slap downward on the big fist and come over top with the other hand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your hand can touch my arm, my arm can wrap your arm too. A grapplier should not care about his opponent to play the grappling game with him. If you consider yourself as an octopus, you will love to play the clinching game with any fish or another octopus.

The main purpose of this strategy is to change a striking game into a grappling game ASAP. Your opponent's "grabbing" intention can help you to get into "clinch" even faster.

It is the interlocked fingers. You can secure a persons hands by grabbing them while the fingers are interlocked.

Also I get drilled into me not to extend my arms in grappling which the wedge is doing. Does that present an issue?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I looked like had the attacker tried a little harder with the uppercut he could have done damage. A few shots looked like they were going to land but the attacker pulled back. Also Id like to see the attacker push/slap downward on the big fist and come over top with the other hand.
When you extend your arms and move your big fist close to your opponent's face, not only your opponent has to worry about your face punch, you don't give him enough space to generate a powerful punch. Can your opponent be able to push/slap downward your big fist? When your opponent tries to do that, he is no longer in a "pure" striking game. He is playing the clinch game.

It is the interlocked fingers. You can secure a persons hands by grabbing them while the fingers are interlocked.

Also I get drilled into me not to extend my arms in grappling which the wedge is doing. Does that present an issue?

The interlock fingers is a trade off. It gives you a stronger punching power but if gives you less mobility. Here is an example that extended arms is commonly used in grip fighting.

changfightingposture.jpg

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taira Bunkai - Gekisai 1: Taira Bunkai - Gekisai 1 - YouTube

When I use my left to push your big fist down and strike with my right I'm most Def in strike mode not clinch mode.
When your

- left hand push my big fist, if my right arm can't wrap around your left arm, or
- right hand can hit on my head before my left arm can wrap around your right arm,

you win and I lose. Everything is "relative" and not "absolute".

If a shark can bite off an octopus legs, that shark win and that octopus lose.

octopus.jpg

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When your

- left hand push my big fist, if my right arm can't wrap around your left arm, or
- right hand can hit on my head before my left arm can wrap around your right arm,

you win and I lose. Everything is "relative" and not "absolute".

If a shark can bite off an octopus legs, that shark win and that octopus lose.

octopus.jpg

Plenty of better techniques out there but if you like it go for it

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Plenty of better techniques out there but if you like it go for it

First you develop your "finish moves". You then develop your "entering strategy" to support your "finish moves". With different finish moves, you may train different entering strategies. If you don' train "head lock", the "big fist" strategy will have no value to you.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm… this might be a little blunt…

That's not a strategy, it's a technique.

- When your opponent tries to hit your head, you use your big fist along with wedged arms to deflect your opponent's head shots.
- When your hands are close to your opponent's head, use head lock, and take him down ASAP.

Er… right. Hmm… this is possibly one of the last things I'd suggest. It'd deeply flawed, incredibly limited, easily countered, and offers no actual benefits whatsoever… with the possible exception of practicing fighting if your hands are bound… except when you let go…

Okay.

1. Use "big fist" to hit on your opponent's head. The training is done for chest punch instead.

Not impressed at all, frankly. By holding the hands together in such a manner, when you block one side, you leave the other completely open, your speed and movement is completely compromised (to say the least), it's very easy to pass, very easy to counter, and you've done little more than give easy to reach targets (on the arms), and provide a very simple handle to get past your (only) defence. Anti-striking? Hardly.

Yeah… same issues again. "Anti-striking"? Nope. As soon as the striker closes distance, and the "big fist" collapses, it'd be pretty much over… but, of course, that's when the striker stops here (on both sides). And needing to form such a defensive action, which takes time, and is more fine-motor (to get your fingers in position) before the strikes happen makes it pretty useless for actual violence (sudden assaults).

Leaving off the poor hip position and lack of any real attack, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to employ this "big fist" action here… all it does is make the first defence slower, the clinch more difficult, and success less likely. You'd be far better off leaving it out of it completely, simply having your hands apart, and employing a basic jam to the incoming strikes… it'd let you get your clinch faster, stronger, with better timing, and far more success.

Again, same as the last one… there is no reason at all to use a "big fist" here. It just ruins the whole idea.

Most importantly, none of this is "anti-striking"… it's a forced application of a fairly flawed technique with no real benefits at all.

BrendonR

White Belt
Reaction score
Doublepost. You have literally given your opponent leverage. You've handed, literally, him advantage. Not efficient, this is a weakness a master should go over with you. I'll refer you to Thomas Smith in Westland, MI. He'll get your kinks out. A shaolin monk grandmaster.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "big fist" idea was used in some system already in case you have to fight with handcuffs on.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah… that really looks like training to fight when your hands are bound… as the hands don't come apart (until a very clear "break" to the binds). I'd also point out that there are nowhere near the issues your clips showed, as the hands are held closer to the body, making it easier/faster to actually defend, all the uses you showed are not apparent here, and so on.

EDIT: Actually, just translated the page… it explicitly states that it's exactly what I think it is… how to fight when handcuffed/bound, including breaking them halfway through. Other than that, it's really rather pointless.

Second Edit: For anyone wondering about the "translated page" I'm referring to, this is the original link provided: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTg2NjMyOTY=.html John has since uploaded it to you-tube and changed the link in his post.

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the concept. IMHO, rather than blocking in that manner, I'd rather do this more along the lines of Tony Blauer and his SPEAR method.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm… Tony's SPEAR concept is actually quite different, when it comes down to it. The lack of the joined hands is just the first difference (importantly, if your hands are joined you can only go so far towards either side, as the length of your right arm limits your lateral movement to the left, and vice versa, as well as giving limitations on range, height, and more)… the tactical application is quite removed from what John's shown.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm… Tony's SPEAR concept is actually quite different, when it comes down to it. The lack of the joined hands is just the first difference (importantly, if your hands are joined you can only go so far towards either side, as the length of your right arm limits your lateral movement to the left, and vice versa, as well as giving limitations on range, height, and more)… the tactical application is quite removed from what John's shown.

That's why I wasn't concerned with the blocking. Having your hands joined, ie: as if you were clapping your hands, moving forward, focusing on slamming into the person, is a pretty effective method. You're head is protected, and your arms are still in a good position to block, if need be.

Latest Discussions