Anti-striking

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never tried it with my hands clasped together before. But I sure will next time in the gym. Looks fun and interesting. But I HAVE tried it with both arms extended about a foot apart. This was against boxers, in a boxing gym that I trained at for years. Against good boxers. I'd do it just to tick them off, or when I was tired but didn't want to stop sparring. It prevented me from getting hit - or getting hit a hell of a lot less than usual. I only did it against guys I knew because it really pisses off a lot of boxers.

I played with it a bunch over the years in dojos. I didn't have a lot of success against kickers, until we were in closer range, then it was okay. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't something I'd do on a regular basis, but I explored it a lot over the years.

I know seeing it on tape makes a lot of folks just poo poo it. For them - might be an idea to play with it now and then over a period of time, I think you would be surprised at what you find.

Gee, I want to run to the dojo right now and play with it again. Too bad there's nobody around right now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never tried it with my hands clasped together before. But I sure will next time in the gym. Looks fun and interesting. But I HAVE tried it with both arms extended about a foot apart. This was against boxers, in a boxing gym that I trained at for years. Against good boxers. I'd do it just to tick them off, or when I was tired but didn't want to stop sparring. It prevented me from getting hit - or getting hit a hell of a lot less than usual. I only did it against guys I knew because it really pisses off a lot of boxers.

I played with it a bunch over the years in dojos. I didn't have a lot of success against kickers, until we were in closer range, then it was okay. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't something I'd do on a regular basis, but I explored it a lot over the years.

I know seeing it on tape makes a lot of folks just poo poo it. For them - might be an idea to play with it now and then over a period of time, I think you would be surprised at what you find.

Gee, I want to run to the dojo right now and play with it again. Too bad there's nobody around right now.

John will does have a version of that which I think I a bit safer.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WC8Lh8k-Ic

Nowadays grapplers just learn to punch.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Big Fist is but a variation of what in boxing is called the 'wedge' defense. Learn it back in the 1965-1966.
The version drop bear refers to in the youtube video is known as the 'crab' defense employed by numerous boxers over the years. Ken Norton and George Foreman for instance.

The thing is there isn't much that is new or hasn't been used in some form or fashion over the thousands of years humans have been in physical combat. Most all work when deployed properly at the proper time. There is nothing that works every time and in every situation. As Guro Dan Inosanto, (someone who has trained to a high level in more martial systems than most even dream of) states; "There are many defenses, many attacks, and many counter-attacks; it is the ability to apply what is applicable and when it is applicable that is important."

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
John will does have a version of that which I think I a bit safer.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WC8Lh8k-Ic

Nowadays grapplers just learn to punch.
If a wrestler who has no striking skill but has to fight a boxer in 3 days, he won't have enough time to develop his striking skill in time.

I have seen that clip. The difference is in that clip his hands is closer to his own head. This will give his opponent plenty of space to generate his power and speed in his punch. You have to deal with the ending of a powerful and fast punch. In the "big fist" approach, your hands is closer to your opponent's head. You don't give your opponent enough space to generate his power and speed. You only have to deal with a less powerful, less speed punches during the initial stage. It's "to fight the battle in your territory vs. to fight battle in your opponent's territory". Instead of to guard your own head, you try to use "big fist" to go through your opponent's guard. The "big fist" strategy is more aggressive than the "crab" strategy.

IMO, if we can find a way to reduce the "head injury" issue, we may be able to encourage more people to participate the "full contact" game.