Anti-striking

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am inclined to agree with other's posts. But I think it might work fairly well with an untrained/inexperienced person. I would be careful of headlocks. A fast grappler (which all grapplers should be) will know some counters to that that could make your day rather unpleasant. By the way, what are you going to do with a person who also knows how to kick?

Still, nothing wrong with having a lot of tools in your toolbox. Just because we may question what we see here, doesn't mean with practice, against an opponent who has not encountered that move, it might not be very effective. We are looking at a move done somewhat slowly, and know what is coming.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would be careful of headlocks. A fast grappler (which all grapplers should be) will know some counters to that that could make your day rather unpleasant. By the way, what are you going to do with a person who also knows how to kick?
If you are a wrestler, you don't mind to play the wrestling game with another wrestler. If your wrestling opponent can beat you in the wrestling game, your wrestling skill is not good enough.

The "big fist wedged arms" is a long guard allows for early interception. The reason that "big fist" strategy is used here is if some wrestler has good wrestling skill but don't have good striking skill. When he needs to spar against a striker in MMA gym, he will need some strategy in order to cover his "weakness" and be able to apply his strong wrestling skill. Two of my guys are helping wrestling skill in local MMA gyms. Sometime they would spar against the boxing instructor or the MT instructor who also taught in that MMA gym.

The kick is less threaten to a wrestler than the powerful head punch. Both body punch and kick are not considered here but the "head punch".

The "head lock" is more risky than the "under hook" or "over hook" because your opponent will have a free arm. When that free arm wrap around your waist, it can give you a lot of trouble. The nice thing about it is when your opponent's head goes, his body will follow. Without serious training to get a strong head lock, the "big fist" strategy will not be recommended. Here is a "head lock leg block" used against a resisted opponent. It will immediately give the "side mount" that you need for your ground game. The "head lock leg block" or "head lock slant cut" are both excellent techniques to set up your ground game.

The "big fist - double upward separate hands" is the enter strategy used for the "head lock". If you want to use "under hook" or "over hook", the "double spears - double downward separate hands, or 1 upward, 1 downward separate hands" entering strategy should be used instead. First you decide what "finish move" that you want to use. You then use the "entering strategy" that can help you to get there.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are a wrestler, you don't mind to play the wrestling game with another wrestler. If your wrestling opponent can beat you in the wrestling game, your wrestling skill is not good enough.

The "big fist wedged arms" is a long guard allows for early interception. The reason that "big fist" strategy is used here is if some wrestler has good wrestling skill but don't have good striking skill. When he needs to spar against a striker in MMA gym, he will need some strategy in order to cover his "weakness" and be able to apply his strong wrestling skill. Two of my guys are helping wrestling skill in local MMA gyms. Sometime they would spar against the boxing instructor or the MT instructor who also taught in that MMA gym.

The kick is less threaten to a wrestler than the powerful head punch. Both body punch and kick are not considered here but the "head punch".

The "head lock" is more risky than the "under hook" or "over hook" because your opponent will have a free arm. When that free arm wrap around your waist, it can give you a lot of trouble. The nice thing about it is when your opponent's head goes, his body will follow. Without serious training to get a strong head lock, the "big fist" strategy will not be recommended. Here is a "head lock leg block" used against a resisted opponent. It will immediately give the "side mount" that you need for your ground game. The "head lock leg block" or "head lock slant cut" are both excellent techniques to set up your ground game.

The "big fist - double upward separate hands" is the enter strategy used for the "head lock". If you want to use "under hook" or "over hook", the "double spears - double downward separate hands, or 1 upward, 1 downward separate hands" entering strategy should be used instead. First you decide what "finish move" that you want to use. You then use the "entering strategy" that can help you to get there.

Yeah we do that throw a bit. Although we over rotate the hip. Which is a cool trick to protect your back.

The over rotation sets up a single leg if the hip throw fails.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How's a kick less threatening to a wrestler?
Most of the kicks can be blocked by just raising the leading leg .

When a wrestler tries to shoot at your leg, he will have to move toward your leg. If you kick him, your leg is moving toward him. You have done all the "close distance" work for him. A kick can be a good gift to an experienced wrestler.

If you train how to catch kick, the moment that you can hold on your opponent's kicking leg, he has only one standing leg. A hook/sweep on his standing leg can take him down quite easily. How to catch a kicking leg is always a "must train" for every wrestlers.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah we do that throw a bit. Although we over rotate the hip. Which is a cool trick to protect your back.

The over rotation sets up a single leg if the hip throw fails.
Many throw can be used as "door open move". It creates you a chance for another throw.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not when wrestler has his hands together up by his head in a big ball. Your going to catch a front kick to the liver and drop
Here is the ancient Chinese spear and shield paradox - My spear can penetrate all shields on earth. My shield can stop all spears on planet.

- A's kick can knock down everybody on this earth.
- B can catch everybody's kicking leg on this planet.

What will happen when A meets B? Everything is "relative" and not "absolute".

spearshield.jpg

spearshield1.jpg

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is the ancient Chinese spear and shield paradox - My spear can penetrate all shields on earth. My shield can stop all spears on earth.

- A's kick can knock down everybody on the earth.
- B can catch everybody's kicking leg on this planet.

What will happen when A meets B? Everything is "relative" and not "absolute".

spearshield.jpg

spearshield1.jpg

Except your "big hand" isn't a shield.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the innovation of your idea, but when I was watching the videos, I couldn't help but notice issues that come up thanks to this mindset. You're throwing away your ability to block kicks (including low kicks which cant be grabbed easily anyway, nevermind when your hands are like that), or body punches, or uppercuts, to block one kind of 'head punch'. If the person uses two hands, and are a fast striker (and any good striker is), your clunky one hand won't be able to catch up to his two coming at all directions. If you try to grab him, he can retract the hand while you're (uninterlocking?) your hands, and then your 'strongest shield' is broken.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, I don't know if this is a flaw with the technique or the demonstrator, or it just looks this way to me since this 'punch' is new to me, but I honestly would not be worried about being hit with it the way they hit in the first video. The way they were punching did not seem like something I would go to great lengths to avoid, or scare me enough to give up my striking for grappling

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the kicks can be blocked by just raising the leading leg .

When a wrestler tries to shoot at your leg, he will have to move toward your leg. If you kick him, your leg is moving toward him. You have done all the "close distance" work for him. A kick can be a good gift to an experienced wrestler.

If you train how to catch kick, the moment that you can hold on your opponent's kicking leg, he has only one standing leg. A hook/sweep on his standing leg can take him down quite easily. How to catch a kicking leg is always a "must train" for every wrestlers.

Just saw this, two issues with it. First is that a roundhouse isn't the only kick there is, nor is that the only way to execute it. Blocking one technique does not mean you block two entire limbs. Second, like ballen said, your hands are way up by your head. How do you expect to get your hand low enough to catch a kick before he has time to land it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just saw this, two issues with it. First is that a roundhouse isn't the only kick there is, nor is that the only way to execute it. Blocking one technique does not mean you block two entire limbs. Second, like ballen said, your hands are way up by your head. How do you expect to get your hand low enough to catch a kick before he has time to land it?

You wear the kick that gives you an extra split second. You won't catch all of them just a percentage.

Head kicks are the hardest to catch because nobody is willing to wear one.

Regardless if you catch the kick or not you can still shoot for a takedown. Just attack the other leg.

Jason

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to throw a little twist in this thread just to get us to maybe take a slightly different look at striking. Note: this isn't for the sake of argument but rather to help us all expand our minds by placing striking into a different perspective. Sorry if this seems to stray from the intent of this thread but I couldn't resist by reading the title "Anti-Striking". No pun intended.

When we think of striking what are we normally think of? For the most of us it's usually punching, kicking, and such. Now let's take a step out of the context of martial arts and think of the physics of what is taking place. A strike occurs when the mass of an object is sent into motion, and with some point of impact, makes contact with another object. I think we can all agree that striking is the forcing of kinetic energy from one object into another. Now if I want to strike harder I'm going to set as much of my mass into as much motion through whatever point of impact I use. Thus comes the concept of striking with your entire body rather than the weight or mass of your arm or leg. But let's leave that out for another thread.

So if forcing energy into a target is striking then striking literally becomes the root of any attack we make on someone. In its most basic form there is striking all by itself. The mass of your body gets set into motion and forces energy through a point of impact that just so happens to be a fist, shin, or elbow.

Now one may arguably say that leverage and throwing isn't striking. Maybe not in the sense of punching and kicking it is not. But look again. In order to break anything of your opponent's you have to force an amount of energy into a target that creates a stress that supersedes the structure of that target (ribs, liver, spleen, clavicle, elbow, neck,...). It is striking (forcing energy) with the concept of leverage added to it that allows us to move joints beyond their pathological range of motion causing them to break. It is striking with the concept of taking someone's postural structure (balance) out of alinement so that we can throw (strike) their body to the ground. (BTW - planets break heads very well; remember that)

So what happens if we don't strike? Not a whole lot really because if we don't force a sufficient amount of energy into targets they have a tendency of not breaking very well. So in it's rawest form, striking is what it is. But you add additional principles to it (such as leverage and throwing) and you will make efficient use of striking to quickly break down your opponent.

If you are not causing an injury (something really important is completely ruined) to a threat you are doing anything but shutting him down. After all what is violence? It is violating, wrecking, ruining, breaking, destroying,... any set structure that it is put into. That includes human bodies, minds, emotions, morals, ethics, belief systems, mutual agreements,... Violence is one of the easiest things you can do. It is available to virtually everyone, and it can happen to anyone. This we must both respect and take advantage of.

I hope you find this helpful. Thanks for reading.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
throwing isn't striking.
The concept of striking is different from the concept of throwing.

When

- striking, you try to achieve "head on collision". It's 1 point contact.
- throwing, you try to achieve "rear end collision". It's 2 points (push and pull at the same time) or 3 points contact.

When you throw, you will always have chance to strike (just ignore the other pulling contact point). When you strike, you may not have chance to throw.

Here is some positive opinions that I have collected from other forum. I have also collected some negative opinions as well. Since when I start a thread, I like to put myself in "listen" mode. I'll accept all negative opinions and I'll not argue with it (unless I'm sure that I can counter prove it, like the risk for interlock fingers).

1. Keeping with this displayed technique it is VERY powerful to strike with. Simply hit the opponent straight in the face with your double fist. It hurts the knuckles only a bit but it is well enough distributed and it really really hurts the opponent when ungloved (Yes, I have been hit with it, it really pushes you back). Also hammering, thumping direct to the face. The great thing is if the opponent is only guarding with one arm you can punch through it with this.

2. If you have to decide 'block left or right' you will never block anything. If you simply make your arms into a shield then you only have to react 'forwards!' rather than attempt a deflection. This method of blocking can actually work very well.

3. You must have a motive to enter, as your opponent cannot deflect for a long time.

4. If someone attacks the body, simply hit directly to their face with the shield itself, they cannot easily block it with just one hand. Especially as this can be powerful from the shortest range.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How does it handle a basic parry counter punch?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How does it handle a basic parry counter punch?
2 is always stronger than 1. When your opponent uses "big fist wedged arms", if you can use one hand (or arm) to parry and move his "big fist wedged arms", your opponent will have some serious "body structure" problem.

Here is a test.

Ask your opponent to throw a full powerful right haymaker at your head. You try to use your

1. left arm to block it.
2. right arm to block it.
3. both arms to block it.

Will you be able to feel any difference among method 1, 2, and 3?

If you can deal with a full body spinning haymaker, you should have no problem to deal with a "parry".

The big fist is like the Chinese weapon 锏(Jian). It's used to break weapon such as knife or sword. There is no way that any knife or sword can hurt 锏(Jian).

jiany.jpg

The main purpose of the "big fist wedged arms" is like the "giant drill machine", no matter what your opponent may do to you, you always use your "drill head" to drill through your opponent's guard.

giant_drill_machine.jpg

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
2 is always stronger than 1. When your opponent uses "big fist wedged arms", if you can use one hand (or arm) to parry and move his "big fist wedged arms", your opponent will have some serious "body structure" problem.

Here is a test.

Ask your opponent to throw a full powerful right haymaker at your head. You try to use your

1. left arm to block it.
2. right arm to block it.
3. both arms to block it.

Will you be able to feel any difference among method 1, 2, and 3?

If you can deal with a full body spinning haymaker, you should have no problem to deal with a "parry".

The big fist is like the Chinese weapon 锏(Jian). It's used to break weapon such as knife or sword. There is no way that any knife or sword can hurt 锏(Jian).

jiany.jpg

The main purpose of the "big fist wedged arms" is like the "giant drill machine", no matter what your opponent may do to you, you always use your "drill head" to drill through your opponent's guard.

giant_drill_machine.jpg

The big fist won't have much speed though. Where a punch does.

I only have to avoid one hand you have to avoid both of mine.

4_medium_medium.gif

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The big fist won't have much speed though. Where a punch does.

I only have to avoid one hand you have to avoid both of mine.
When your opponent use jab or cross to punch at your face, you will have option as to block that punch:

- from left to right,
- from right to left,
- upward,
- downward,
- 45 degree upward,
- 45 degree downward,

When you use "big fist" to block your opponent's punch, you only have one option, that is to aim your big fist at your opponent's face and move in toward him. Your offense is your defense, and your defense is your offense. It makes the fight much simpler. When your opponent uses big fist to aim at your face and run toward you like a mad man, his speed is not what you should worry about but what he will do to you when get close.

police_shield.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions