Striking art strategy

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very impressive if you can use elbow to check punches reliably and against different people. Better if you can check when people are mad at you or you have reason to be afraid haha. Could dominate pros that way it's simple but too effective.
Anyone can do it. It's not difficult, you just have to know the effect way of doing it. If you can touch you elbow with your eyes closed then you have the basic skill set that is used to be successful with it.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that's nonsense.
It's not nonsense. If aggression does not make up much of your experience or is heavily restricted then of course you have no experiential reference. Aggression is not just whatever narrow image you have of it. Aggression can be subdued and dark like a strangler for instance, vs one whose aggression is limited to stabbing, vs one whose aggression is limited to words. I think your experience of aggression or consideration of its role and impact are limited.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not nonsense. If aggression does not make up much of your experience or is heavily restricted then of course you have no experiential reference. Aggression is not just whatever narrow image you have of it. Aggression can be subdued and dark like a strangler for instance, vs one whose aggression is limited to stabbing, vs one whose aggression is limited to words. I think your experience of aggression or consideration of its role and impact are limited.
Aggression does not heal or improve healing. That's nonsense.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Aggression does not heal or improve healing. That's nonsense.
But you would agree that aggression with stress minimized or managed increases anabolic hormone levels in the body? If you can connect knowledge about hormones to direct moment by moment perception of said hormones through inference then you can recognize that the sense of "boosted potential and power" is real.

I don't want to be reductionist and pin things onto the mere presence of a hormone, but you know that by will you can increase or decrease hormones right? You can feel your own recovery potential when your body has certain things going on in it. It can be quite reliable.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you would agree that aggression with stress minimized or managed increases anabolic hormone levels in the body? If you can connect knowledge about hormones to direct moment by moment perception of said hormones through inference then you can recognize that the sense of "boosted potential and power" is real.

I don't want to be reductionist and pin things onto the mere presence of a hormone, but you know that by will you can increase or decrease hormones right? You can feel your own recovery potential when your body has certain things going on in it. It can be quite reliable.
You're either using a second language (and usages from a different language) or you're talking in terms that make no sense: "moment by moment perfecption of said hormones through inference".

So, no.

The stress that increases anabolic processes is metabolic stress, not psychological stress. Psychological stress - especially sustained (as in the case of imagined fears in everyday life) - has a detrimental effect on overall physiology, including recovery and anabolic processes.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You're either using a second language (and usages from a different language) or you're talking in terms that make no sense: "moment by moment perfecption of said hormones through inference".

So, no.

The stress that increases anabolic processes is metabolic stress, not psychological stress. Psychological stress - especially sustained (as in the case of imagined fears in everyday life) - has a detrimental effect on overall physiology, including recovery and anabolic processes.
Haha this is ridiculous. You are dull as a rock.
If you are angry what happens? Hormonal changes. Every psychological state has associated chemical and hormonal changes in the body. On the most basic level you are wrong. You are incredibly divorced from your direct experience of your own body and the environment like many people. You can't become very good at anything like that, except perhaps as a tool shaped by those whom know better. This is me being as honest with you as possible, I'm serious.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha this is ridiculous. You are dull as a rock.
If you are angry what happens? Hormonal changes. Every psychological state has associated chemical and hormonal changes in the body. On the most basic level you are wrong. You are incredibly divorced from your direct experience of your own body and the environment like many people. You can't become very good at anything like that, except perhaps as a tool shaped by those whom know better. This is me being as honest with you as possible, I'm serious.
Show me the research that shows improved anabolic response where prolonged psychological stress is involved. I can go find you the studies and explanations of how stress responses (most notably, the stress recovery response) increase fat production, decrease testosterone, and have other negative effects on physiology.

But go ahead with the name-calling. I don't mind being insulted when I challenge false statements.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Show me the research that shows improved anabolic response where prolonged psychological stress is involved. I can go find you the studies and explanations of how stress responses (most notably, the stress recovery response) increase fat production, decrease testosterone, and have other negative effects on physiology.

But go ahead with the name-calling. I don't mind being insulted when I challenge false statements.
It's not name calling. You are dull dude. You can't gain basic insight through direct experience of your own body and of the world around you. You can't feel changes from willpower, emotional exertion, and attentional exertion in your own body. You lack critical thinking ability and perceptiveness, or have never exerted yourself in these ways which is insane.

You state that being stressed out about something will lead to physiological changes but can't register that that implicates all emotional and mental responses and exertions.
You aren't challenging anything but a judgement of yourself that is absolutely true. You're dull.
If a woman is googly eyed at you and aroused and you can't tell she's into you you're dull, right? Or should I pull up a study? Need a fact check? That's the kind of dull you are. I understand what evidence is but your direct experience is evidence too.

You google and see some webmd crap and that's as far as you know. Come on.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you believe you have choice, or will? Or am I talking to some soulless nihilist that can't reason out the profundity of free will and willpower so doesn't think it exists?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not name calling. You are dull dude. You can't gain basic insight through direct experience of your own body and of the world around you. You can't feel changes from willpower, emotional exertion, and attentional exertion in your own body. You lack critical thinking ability and perceptiveness, or have never exerted yourself in these ways which is insane.

You state that being stressed out about something will lead to physiological changes but can't register that that implicates all emotional and mental responses and exertions.
You aren't challenging anything but a judgement of yourself that is absolutely true. You're dull.
If a woman is googly eyed at you and aroused and you can't tell she's into you you're dull, right? Or should I pull up a study? Need a fact check? That's the kind of dull you are. I understand what evidence is but your direct experience is evidence too.

You google and see some webmd crap and that's as far as you know. Come on.

Back up any one of those statements. Just one, for starters. I have an academic background in this. Do you? Do you actually read journal articles to see what the actual evidence is, or are you just going off what you think you know from what you think you feel?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you believe you have choice, or will? Or am I talking to some soulless nihilist that can't reason out the profundity of free will and willpower so doesn't think it exists?
What I believe is that you think you are profound and will overwhelm people with large words and implied insults. Neither of those are true.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Back up any one of those statements. Just one, for starters. I have an academic background in this. Do you? Do you actually read journal articles to see what the actual evidence is, or are you just going off what you think you know from what you think you feel?
I know a hell of a lot more than you. You basic ignorance is astounding. If you can't figure it out I'll break it down.
You would claim that one can by will create nerve impulses right? Right. But that's where it ends for you right? By will, you can do nothing more than create nerve impulses. In a sense you are nothing but nerve impulses. Is this what you believe? Do you think your only volition is nerve impulses? I need to set the ground here so let's start with this.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I should probably pop your **** real quick: Cortisol is a hormone. Stress hormone. Difficult to exert yourself without it.
You should probably know how a good mood, laughter, that sort of thing increases anabolic hormones too, right? You're well versed in the literature so you've probably seen studies on that. Right?
Nope. Because you don't read ****.

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is the result of colliding paradigms. Each has useful insights to be gleaned, but they speak in different languages and quickly lose respect. I'm not trying to pretend to be better, I certainly get angry and engage fruitlessly in arguments from time to time-- but as a third-party observer to this one, it's easier for me to see the causal relationships and remain objective as I examine statements for value. That said, respectfully gpseymour, I have to say that when Diagen was talking about connecting anatomical knowledge to moment-to-moment perception, it was certainly not another language. It was easy for me to understand.

As to whether the *information presented* regarding hormone function was accurate, that I must admit, I have not the knowledge to confirm or deny.

Diagen, the disrespect you show and assumptions you make when speaking to another martial artist do not make your case seem more plausible.

In my experience-- and this goes back to a post I made which was mysteriously deleted without explanation-- there are only two things that matter in discussing the martial arts:

1 ) Does it work?
2 ) Can the practitioner in question successfully use it?

As my sensei said,

"If you get it, it's yours. If you don't, it's mine."

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
heh heh I have an easy example. . . men looking at women experience increased testosterone. Imagine naked women and sex and your testosterone goes up. Bingo.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is the result of colliding paradigms. Each has useful insights to be gleaned, but they speak in different languages and quickly lose respect. I'm not trying to pretend to be better, I certainly get angry and engage fruitlessly in arguments from time to time-- but as a third-party observer to this one, it's easier for me to see the causal relationships and remain objective as I examine statements for value. That said, respectfully gpseymour, I have to say that when Diagen was talking about connecting anatomical knowledge to moment-to-moment perception, it was certainly not another language. It was easy for me to understand.

As to whether the *information presented* regarding hormone function was accurate, that I must admit, I have not the knowledge to confirm or deny.

Diagen, the disrespect you show and assumptions you make when speaking to another martial artist do not make your case seem more plausible.

In my experience-- and this goes back to a post I made which was mysteriously deleted without explanation-- there are only two things that matter in discussing the martial arts:

1 ) Does it work?
2 ) Can the practitioner in question successfully use it?

As my sensei said,

"If you get it, it's yours. If you don't, it's mine."
I'm trying to share though.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Stress out about something gp. Just go ahead and feel stressed out. BINGO you're controlling your hormones. Not that difficult.
Think of a naked women. Sex. BINGO you're controlling hormones. Also not difficult.
Positive affect associated with context sensitivity. You depressed man? Maybe you're just SOLID; except your crap is BUNK. Doesn't matter how many studies you read saying the same thing about hormones being linked to behavior and making assumptions about the causal direction that you have absorbed and made your own for some reason -- it's not true! It goes both ways to a degree but people create their own experiences, their own states of mind, their own thoughts, their own perceptions. SO ON AND SO FORTH.
Think of naked women. BOOM! There's testosterone.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
People studying hormones say "testosterone causes social dominance". Smart people studying hormones say "testosterone is associated with social dominance". Don't say more than you can. Don't assume because you can. That's how you keep ignorance out of published studies. Yet you still find such ignorance mixed in with the rational caution of "associated" rather than "causes"?

Ignorant assumptions in causation are idiotic.

In real life if you exert yourself to become more socially dominant you actually get an increase in testosterone. BOOM. THE POWER. If you fail you might feel worse of course. Sometimes you feel better for trying. Depends on your perspective. If you SUCCEED your testosterone definitely goes up.

Now if you imagine yourself training, you get some training stimulus from it. This is known. You can get stronger imagining yourself training. Now if you imagine something stressful, cortisol. Naked women, testosterone. Now if you imagine being socially dominant, testosterone as well. HOW!? If you don't really imagine it the effect is less of course, as if you don't really imagine naked women. But a very good day dream or mental visualization will definitely work its magic. Is it as good as the real thing? I guess not, but 50% of 100 is still 50. Sometimes it might be better. Sometimes people succeed and hardly register it. Maybe they don't know if being a successful toilet salesman matters to them. They get depressed. Damn!

Don't oversimplify reality to the smallest smalles micro brain that is a scientific journal. The smallest. The most micro. The most irrelevant thing to important discussion - a scientific journal.
No one cares about insect brain size. It's not relevant. There are so many pinhole studies. There are so many journals. There are so many unpublished studies. How the hell is anyone going to find a study on every single thing.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Everyone that demands a study for every damned claim is asking for the WORK OF THINKING TO BE DONE FOR THEM. It is ridiculous.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
heh heh I have an easy example. . . men looking at women experience increased testosterone. Imagine naked women and sex and your testosterone goes up. Bingo.

I don't think this is true

Latest Discussions