Higher rank, but not teaching?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not going to move for Taekwondo. I immensely enjoy training and teaching (as the most senior Assistant Instructor at our club) but I have a family/home and am not going to move so I can open a club.

I'm most likely to inherit the club when our instructor retires and for that reason having a high dan grade will help (rather than waiting until he retires to start getting higher dan).

Andy, I think that is wonderful to aspire to carry on the dojang your SBN started. My only thought is, talk it over with him. I'd hate for you to have an expectation & he has other thoughts/or plans on the subject.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy, I think that is wonderful to aspire to carry on the dojang your SBN started. My only thought is, talk it over with him. I'd hate for you to have an expectation & he has other thoughts/or plans on the subject.

We have talked about it (a great number of times) and our thoughts/plans are the same. To be honest, I'd rather he didn't retire but he's stated that he will be and when he does I'll be running the club. He's stated that he'd wait until I could promote the students myself which I now can, but hopefully that doesn't mean he'll do it soon...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

I also meant to say that although logic would suggest that I'm next in line to take over the club (most senior grade, longest with the club by a long margin, trusted/asked to run the classes in SBN's absence) I also wouldn't have assumed to think that it's what would happen - there may have been a reason why he'd think I wasn't ready/right to run the club. It is the discussions we've had that make me have that position.

Latest Discussions