2 Opinionated Questions about martial Style

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
well first of all a cops job is to bring them in alive, and yes time is part of it. but your rear naked choke can also be done as a 'Japanese strangle', using the forearm across the throat, and crushing it and braking the neck instead of cutting off blood. I did not say some grappling techniques do not end in death if that is what you wish, I said that the doctrine seems to be more disable and submit as opposed to kill quickly. I said neither is better or worse, just different. I would not go to the ground alone with some one who had friends with him if I could help it!

I disagree. There are strangles and there are chokes. Guillotine is an air choke, as are several variations to the rnc. Many chokes can best be described as a little of both depending on how it's defended. And the same can be said for cranks. Often, the difference between the three is an inch or less and intent.

The value of a carotid choke is that it works much, much faster than a strangle/air choke. A person can hold his breath for a long time, and unless you have the leverage and desire to crush the Adams apple, will take a lot longer to I capacitance than the 5 to 10 seconds it takes to send someone o dreamland.

Now, we can just disagree on whether it's ethical to consider killing someone option1. My opinion is that quickly disabling someone would generally be preferable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A) Do you believe that certain styles benefit certain body types more than others? Essentially, can you truly reccomend an art for someone based on their body type? For example, since Wing Chun was made specifically with the small in mind, does it really benefit smaller/faster individuals more than others? Since Taekwondo uses a lot of headkicks, does that mean shorter artists shouldn't flock to it? Since Kyokushin karate punishes the body, should skinny framed guys stay away?

Yes, I do. Or I would say some styles are harder for some body types. I was practicing with a Wing Chun guy and he said just relax and rest your hands on his. He said I had too much down force, and was using my strength and pushing. I explained it was just gravity. So, I lifted a little and he was yes there it is. Having trained for feedback I was used to a light touch and listening to the opponent.

One of the styles I teach was taught to me by a man much shorten than I and the founder ( his instructor ) was only up to his shoulder on him. So the art was designed for a small man using close contact and generating power. Many of the larger people training the system used their strength and size to try to control the situation, but the instructor would use his timing and body position to turn you out of the fight.

B) Do you personally believe in the concept of styles? The way I see it, no two human beings are the same. Each will fight and perform differently, so the concept of a style has little to do with it. However the style you choose can influence your fighting philosophies. I believe that your preferred style gives you a base, but it's your mind and what you put into it that makes up how you actually perform.

I believe in styles. I also know it is influenced by those who teach it. Reviewing videos of people, if you know what to look for, you can see who they trained with and which techniques they learned from whom.

Just to touch up a little on B. I'm a Taekwondo fighter for example. But I don't really kick to the head. I use vertical fist lead hand strikes ( i corkscrew back hand strikes towards the body ), I prefer palms over fists and infighting rather than ranged kicking. When shadowboxing, I tend to use way more elbows and knees than anything else, and I use fakes and jabs and footwork like a boxer/jeet kune do man. Would you say that my style is still "Taekwondo"? or simply "Martial artist trained in Taekwondo"

I prefer open hand techniques for myself as well. But this has to do with the follow up. Having open hands, the witnesses who see it can say so. It is hard to tell from a slap and a strike and a push to the untrained. Also it allows one to have controls available to them so you do not have to provide overwhelming force to their body or head to shut them down.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wait, WHAT?

Im sorry, but Ive just gotta say.
Never mind that anyone of any height can do them, I sure as hell do not want to be lifted off the ground and thrown like a ragdoll by some 6"3 brute whose arms are made of muscle. I can pick up people somewhat bigger and heavier than Myself, and Im just a skinny guy. Im not sure I even want to know how easy it would be for someone bigger (both height and bulk) who is not only trained, but physically strong. Think about it for a second now.

Well that's the thing, Judo isn't about strength. If you have proper leverage, you can deliver maximum force with very little effort. I'm not saying that the height weight thing is definitively true, I'm just saying it is something I've read/seen in youtube videos. The people who say it always point towards the fact that since you are smaller, you can get into the opponent's guard ( in either judo or jiu jitsu ) easier and/or slip out of your opponent's offense. The lower center of gravity gives you even more balance as well, which works essentially for all throws. Shorter people take less damage when they fall, and as proven in many tests have decreased chance of bone breakage or hip damage due to impact ( condensed stronger bones I guess ). The decreased body size speeds up natural reaction time ( less space for the brains signal to travel ), and Finally, smaller people tend to have more muscle mass as compared to body size. Generally, as the body is more condensed and smaller, this compacts the muscles, giving a more muscle mass to size/weight ratio. If you don't understand that, think of it like a barbell. If you take all of the plates you would need to lift 135 pounds, you will probably struggle to lift it, as the weight is condensed and packed into one area. However if you put the plates onto the barbell it is suddenly easier to lift. That is because you have distributed the weight. Think of muscles like that and it makes a bit of sense.

^with that said, I'm NOT saying you should believe that, I would still rather be bigger than smaller when it comes to martial arts, but those are the reasons most who say it will give.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that's the thing, Judo isn't about strength.

No MA in the world is about Strength. It certainly helps but.

If you have proper leverage, you can deliver maximum force with very little effort.

Much like the Throws Ive learnt in TKD.

I'm not saying that the height weight thing is definitively true, I'm just saying it is something I've read/seen in youtube videos.

Because Youtube is the best way to learn about MA. Hehe

The people who say it always point towards the fact that since you are smaller, you can get into the opponent's guard ( in either judo or jiu jitsu ) easier and/or slip out of your opponent's offense.

Right. So, Your opponent isnt going to Grab You or Punch You or Clinch You at any point whilst You just use Your smallness, to get in and away. Right. Thats called theory without base. Smaller people get in and out, because when Theyre in, theyre vulnerable. When Theyre out, theyre even more vulnerable. They could also shove You.

The lower center of gravity gives you even more balance as well, which works essentially for all throws.

This is irrelevant to height, since a heavier person will have a stronger base.

Shorter people take less damage when they fall, and as proven in many tests have decreased chance of bone breakage or hip damage due to impact ( condensed stronger bones I guess ).

Aha. And where they thrown by big strong Men? As forcefully as possible into a solid ground? As for Hip Damage, try skull or rib damage. Or dislocated shoulders.

The decreased body size speeds up natural reaction time ( less space for the brains signal to travel ),

Im 6"1, and I have, if I do say so Myself, better reaction times than most of the people I know. Those who have better, are vastly more experienced Martial Artists, and most of them are about the same height.

and Finally, smaller people tend to have more muscle mass as compared to body size.

Muscle Mass =/= Muscle Strength, as well as ones ability to deliver Force.

Generally, as the body is more condensed and smaller, this compacts the muscles, giving a more muscle mass to size/weight ratio.

Again, read above.

If you don't understand that,

I have studied Anatomy extensively.

think of it like a barbell. If you take all of the plates you would need to lift 135 pounds, you will probably struggle to lift it, as the weight is condensed and packed into one area. However if you put the plates onto the barbell it is suddenly easier to lift. That is because you have distributed the weight.

Thats no different to a well built tall man, who didnt lift barbells to get muscle mass.

Think of muscles like that and it makes a bit of sense.

So long as You dont mind meshing bulk with strength. Are You aware of how many different types of weight lifting there are?

^with that said, I'm NOT saying you should believe that, I would still rather be bigger than smaller when it comes to martial arts, but those are the reasons most who say it will give.

Then theyre wrong. Now below, Ill just show that Im not biased here.

The biggest differences between being big, and tall, in Martial Arts, are: Reach (Because a tall man can not only hit you when youre far away, he can grab and restrain you up close. Think a double collar tie), Force On Contact (As any physics should teach you, the further the striking tool travels to get to its target, the more momentum and force it will generate just before the end, when its at its most forceful), Muscular Strength (Not bulk. Strength. Force. The ability to do things with sheer force, and not with technique. Bulk is completely different to strength, as is density. If You want evidence of this, look at how big and bulky heavyweight boxers *arent*, compared to bodybuilders. Theyre just damn well strengthened, and built up a bit. But theyre not overly bulky. Next, look at Rampage Jackson.), Leverage (Have a big tall man grab your collar with both hands, then step back as far as he can, pulling your body towards him and down. Have fun with that. Next, try it on him.).

Smaller people need to use completely different tactics to taller people. Things like "Smaller people can get inside the guard then outside the offense" is mistaken; The proper term is "Unless you have some serious balls, smaller people need to be able to get past the larger, comparably impregnable guard of the bigger person, then get the hell out, since their own limbs are too small to effectively guard themself, and blocking is too unreliable to count on against superior force". Imagine two... Kickboxers. Ok. One is 6"3, one is 5"5. Now, Mr 6"3 is in a High Guard, covering His head. Mr 5"5 literally cannot go through it, or around it, without getting way too close for comfort, since those guarding hands could drop and jam out at any moment. So, His Skill has to be getting inside regardless. For two people of the same size, its not a problem. Just... You know. Get in. Stay in or get out. For a smaller person, it becomes about not falling victim to the taller opponents momentum, by being better at moving. Take a bigger person, and teach them all the same stuff, and You have a nice little recipe. Think head movement in Boxing. How many people actually use head movement all the time? Mostly, its those who are otherwise at a disadvantage, but occassionally, someone who would do fine without it. Who benefits from using it anyway.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strength can absolutely be an advantage, for sure. So can speed, athleticism, flexibility and intelligence, among other things. It's just one of many.

Exactly. Theres no one cureall. Of course, some people will be better at some of those than others, but You cant just have one. And They need to be properly trained.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
The biggest differences between being big, and tall, in Martial Arts, are: Reach (Because a tall man can not only hit you when youre far away, he can grab and restrain you up close. Think a double collar tie), Force On Contact (As any physics should teach you, the further the striking tool travels to get to its target, the more momentum and force it will generate just before the end, when its at its most forceful), Muscular Strength (Not bulk. Strength. Force. The ability to do things with sheer force, and not with technique. Bulk is completely different to strength, as is density. If You want evidence of this, look at how big and bulky heavyweight boxers *arent*, compared to bodybuilders. Theyre just damn well strengthened, and built up a bit. But theyre not overly bulky. Next, look at Rampage Jackson.), Leverage (Have a big tall man grab your collar with both hands, then step back as far as he can, pulling your body towards him and down. Have fun with that. Next, try it on him.).

Smaller people need to use completely different tactics to taller people. Things like "Smaller people can get inside the guard then outside the offense" is mistaken; The proper term is "Unless you have some serious balls, smaller people need to be able to get past the larger, comparably impregnable guard of the bigger person, then get the hell out, since their own limbs are too small to effectively guard themself, and blocking is too unreliable to count on against superior force". Imagine two... Kickboxers. Ok. One is 6"3, one is 5"5. Now, Mr 6"3 is in a High Guard, covering His head. Mr 5"5 literally cannot go through it, or around it, without getting way too close for comfort, since those guarding hands could drop and jam out at any moment. So, His Skill has to be getting inside regardless. For two people of the same size, its not a problem. Just... You know. Get in. Stay in or get out. For a smaller person, it becomes about not falling victim to the taller opponents momentum, by being better at moving. Take a bigger person, and teach them all the same stuff, and You have a nice little recipe. Think head movement in Boxing. How many people actually use head movement all the time? Mostly, its those who are otherwise at a disadvantage, but occassionally, someone who would do fine without it. Who benefits from using it anyway.

okay, like you, i will try not to be biased.

I don't necessarily agree with everything that you have said. Firstly, the thing about taken less damage from falls can not be disputed, it's just something you see every day. Because of that, even though a bigger guy may be able to force more weight on to you, the smaller guy's ability to take more damage helps to counter balance that. Also, you are putting too much emphasis on brute strength. The amount of body weight you have may have an effect on the force of your punch ( if you are trained ) but it does not effect your actual natural strength. Neither does height. It seems to me ( I may be wrong ) that you equate body size with actual strength, and the ability to deliver force. put two people, one short one tall and neither have ever done any weight lifting in their life, in front of a barbell and they will both have equal difficulty lifting it. Put a bigger man and smaller man on the same workout regiment and have each follow it to the letter, and they would both be pretty much equal in strength. Their bodies would look different sure, but that's mostly the exterior. Just like you mentioned Rampage Jackson, I can also mention Manny Pacquiao. Just because he is a smaller man does that necessarily make him weaker? No. Just because his biceps are smaller than Rampage's does that make he weaker? Not necessarily. His arms are also smaller, and thus the muscle will be proportionally smaller in comparison, but the actual strength within the muscle may just be exactly equal.

Just look at primates. Monkeys are smaller than us by a lot, but ask anyone who's ever been mauled by one if they are "weak" just because their arms are smaller and you will have a unanimous answer.

I'll give you leverage. But they have to know how to use it. A collar hold can be broken just like a choke hold or anything else. I myself am a lightweight ( 130 pounds, 5'6 ) so it would easy for someone to muscle me around. But I also know of people my size who are 180 pounds and well built. If this guy was wrestling a taller man, the size difference wouldn't matter much. So for that one, I guess it depends more on body type.

Finally, the get on the inside thing...you make it out to be much harder than it is honestly. Like I said, I'm short, and maybe it's just me, but it's really not THAT difficult to slip into a guard. What you find is that shorter people are more counter fighters instead of very offensive ones. We will wait for you to strike, block or avoid or parry and then move in with our own combos very quickly. It's something I've noticed with all shorter people. We aren't really slipping through a guard so much as waiting for that guard to open. When you are my size or around it, you learn to work off of the broken rhythm. To create a defensive guard that allows you to strike quickly and easily yet still vary your moves so as not to be anticipated. Once, your opponent strikes you move in. In the ring, you may have to do this tons of times sure like you said, but on the streets? I'm going to move in with timing, strike you, and then probably sweep you to the ground and either finish you with a good stomp or two to the gut and run, or pin you to the floor with a good knee or other body parts on your upper chest/shoulders. You only need to get in once if you do it right.

Now to eliminate bias, i am NOT saying that taller bigger people can not employ the exact same tactic. They can, and they just might do it. But it's not THAT difficult to slip through guard or guard against strikes from a bigger person as you say. It's difficult at first yes, but so is getting to the tucked in chin of a smaller guy in his stance. Getting through guard is difficult for BOTH fighters. Not just one. It's only a little harder for smaller guys. Not to mention, the untrained fighter isn't going to know how to use that arm length. He's most likely just going to swing and move forward, which kind of negates the whole distance thing.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
okay, like you, i will try not to be biased.

I don't necessarily agree with everything that you have said. Firstly, the thing about taken less damage from falls can not be disputed, it's just something you see every day. Because of that, even though a bigger guy may be able to force more weight on to you, the smaller guy's ability to take more damage helps to counter balance that.

I never disputed that. I was mostly disputing that the skull and ribs wouldnt be involved in the matter.

Also, you are putting too much emphasis on brute strength.

It happens to be a benefit of being big and strong, without necessarily mass.

The amount of body weight you have may have an effect on the force of your punch ( if you are trained ) but it does not effect your actual natural strength.

Thats also a part of My point.

Neither does height. It seems to me ( I may be wrong ) that you equate body size with actual strength,

No. I am not. At all. I said numerous times that bulk is totally different to strength, and that even weightlifters do seperate exercises for each. And that most Boxers are NOT bulky. Re-read the last bits.

and the ability to deliver force. put two people, one short one tall and neither have ever done any weight lifting in their life, in front of a barbell and they will both have equal difficulty lifting it.

Exactly! I think You may have missed a big part of My reply, or misunderstood it. This is exactly what Im trying to say here.

Put a bigger man and smaller man on the same workout regiment and have each follow it to the letter, and they would both be pretty much equal in strength.

Yes!

Their bodies would look different sure, but that's mostly the exterior. Just like you mentioned Rampage Jackson, I can also mention Manny Pacquiao. Just because he is a smaller man does that necessarily make him weaker? No.

You literally just pointed out how I mentioned Rampage Jackson, as an example of everything Youre saying!

Just because his biceps are smaller than Rampage's does that make he weaker? Not necessarily.

Yes again! I used Rampage Jackson because His arms aint that big.

His arms are also smaller, and thus the muscle will be proportionally smaller in comparison, but the actual strength within the muscle may just be exactly equal.

Exactly again. Like I said. Bulk =/= Strength.

Just look at primates. Monkeys are smaller than us by a lot, but ask anyone who's ever been mauled by one if they are "weak" just because their arms are smaller and you will have a unanimous answer.

I'll give you leverage. But they have to know how to use it.

Same as a smaller man having to know how to use their own advantages.

A collar hold can be broken just like a choke hold or anything else. I myself am a lightweight ( 130 pounds, 5'6 ) so it would easy for someone to muscle me around. But I also know of people my size who are 180 pounds and well built. If this guy was wrestling a taller man, the size difference wouldn't matter much. So for that one, I guess it depends more on body type.

For reference, Im 6"1, like I said. Im also only 66kg, despite having a pretty muscular build.

Finally, the get on the inside thing...you make it out to be much harder than it is honestly.

Im not, actually. Thats just one of those majiggys that can be caused by text. I was saying its harder, not that its hard. I was saying that a smaller man needs to learn how to do it, in and of itself. For us bigger men, We dont have to learn it at all. We just do it. (Pretty much)

Like I said, I'm short, and maybe it's just me, but it's really not THAT difficult to slip into a guard. What you find is that shorter people are more counter fighters instead of very offensive ones.

My point again. You get good at these things because You need to. Not so much because You want to. Its an attempt (and a successful one at that) to balance out the taller mans advantages.

We will wait for you to strike, block or avoid or parry and then move in with our own combos very quickly.

Yes. Now, would You suggest being smaller, and just assuming a high guard, and allowing the blow to hit, then having a little stand and bang with a taller man?

It's something I've noticed with all shorter people. We aren't really slipping through a guard so much as waiting for that guard to open.

Exactly again.

When you are my size or around it, you learn to work off of the broken rhythm. To create a defensive guard that allows you to strike quickly and easily yet still vary your moves so as not to be anticipated. Once, your opponent strikes you move in. In the ring, you may have to do this tons of times sure like you said, but on the streets? I'm going to move in with timing, strike you, and then probably sweep you to the ground and either finish you with a good stomp or two to the gut and run, or pin you to the floor with a good knee or other body parts on your upper chest/shoulders. You only need to get in once if you do it right.

Exactly again. Also, those stomps? Part of the point I was making is, someone bigger will be stomping harder, since their leg is picked up higher. BUT, in order for You to do the same, youd have to jump, or spring first. It works both ways. You just have to do it differently to get the same effect - Or, be satisfied with the equally effective, but perhaps less forceful blow.

Now to eliminate bias, i am NOT saying that taller bigger people can not employ the exact same tactic. They can, and they just might do it. But it's not THAT difficult to slip through guard or guard against strikes from a bigger person as you say.

If anything, its more that its harder for tall people.

It's difficult at first yes, but so is getting to the tucked in chin of a smaller guy in his stance.

Of course. You can batter his arms a bit though, if You get busy. Sore arms are not fun.

Getting through guard is difficult for BOTH fighters. Not just one. It's only a little harder for smaller guys.

In a way. For taller Fighters, theyre almost always within range of each other. The smaller gentleman is either just outside the tallers range, or uncomfortably close. That said, I havent had such an issue, as Im an Infighter.

Not to mention, the untrained fighter isn't going to know how to use that arm length. He's most likely just going to swing and move forward, which kind of negates the whole distance thing.

To be fair, Were not exactly discussing the Untrained in this Thread, since its asking about Martial Arts. But yes, thats true.

Just My Contribution.

One of these days, Ill figure out an easy, not severely annoying way to use quotes instead of bold.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I think the answer to the first question is "it depends." It depends upon how rigid the curriculum of a style is and how far away the individual is physically from the techniques. At the very least, the style will look different on different people. Ideally, the style will adapt to the person and not be dependent upon an ideal body type for success.

The answer to the second question is, IMO, each style has a culture that surrounds it. The culture is comprised of the personality of the instructors, the curriculum and the traditions involved. BJJ and Judo are close cousins as far as technique is concerned, but the culture of each style is very different. Consequently, people gravitate toward a style that meshes well with their personality. Some people like formality. I hate it, and so would not enjoy a style where the trappings of formality are emphasized.

I'm just reading this thread for the first time. What a great read.

As for Steve's post above - I think it should be engraved in stone somewhere.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just My Contribution.

One of these days, Ill figure out an easy, not severely annoying way to use quotes instead of bold.

iirc, you take the time to change the color of your response. I can't figure out why selecting text and clicking the color button is easier for you than selecting text and clicking the quote button.

using tapatalk, there is no difference between your text and the quoted text. It's all grey, and so, even though I try to read your posts, I can't. It's not annoying, but it is unfortunate that you take the time to respond, and I can't read them.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just My Contribution.

Yeah sorry for the misunderstanding then. Read your reply late at night and I was mentally drained.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
iirc, you take the time to change the color of your response. I can't figure out why selecting text and clicking the color button is easier for you than selecting text and clicking the quote button.

using tapatalk, there is no difference between your text and the quoted text. It's all grey, and so, even though I try to read your posts, I can't. It's not annoying, but it is unfortunate that you take the time to respond, and I can't read them.

Thatd be an iPad thing.

So, wait. Selecting Text then clicking Quote does that?
I did not realise this.
Ill test it in a second.

EDIT: Jesus Christ. If Id known I could do that, Id never have used Bolding. Welp, this is pretty much revolutionary on My end. Cheers.

MLA9741

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, you think that if I have a sincere desire and are willing to step out of my comfort zone, I can be an astrophysicist? I disagree.

Yes! By stepping out of your comfort zone and have the ultimate goal of becoming an astrophysicist, you can study astrophysics, obtain an understanding and eventually take on a position. If you push yourself and set goals, you can achieve anything you want. Your brain is your enemy. To meet certain goals, you can tell your brain to shut up and push yourself. This philosophy has worked for me and many other people.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. There are strangles and there are chokes. Guillotine is an air choke, as are several variations to the rnc. Many chokes can best be described as a little of both depending on how it's defended. And the same can be said for cranks. Often, the difference between the three is an inch or less and intent.

The value of a carotid choke is that it works much, much faster than a strangle/air choke. A person can hold his breath for a long time, and unless you have the leverage and desire to crush the Adams apple, will take a lot longer to I capacitance than the 5 to 10 seconds it takes to send someone o dreamland.

Now, we can just disagree on whether it's ethical to consider killing someone option1. My opinion is that quickly disabling someone would generally be preferable.

yes I know how the chokes and strangles work. the " japanese strange" is more about a neck brake and crushing of the cricoid cartilage and is trained in and used for among other things sentry removal by many military's.

steve, Most styles have some grappling in them, and most grappling styles have some strikes. Aikido for instance has strikes and is a grappling system.
Most grapplers I have met have been on a hole more into choking them out, or submitting them because they would rather not kill them. that is not a bad thing at all!

I just would not want to go to the ground with the attacker. there are some Japanese Jujitsu systems that go to a knee and put the attacker on the ground. I have not SEEN any Bjj practitioner do that myself. I do not doubt that they can, but most train with going to the ground all the way with the opponent. and you will react as you trained under stress.

If you are comfortable with that, that is good. my point was and is that being down on the ground with him leaves you vulnerable to some actions by his friends.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
yes I know how the chokes and strangles work. the " japanese strange" is more about a neck brake and crushing of the cricoid cartilage and is trained in and used for among other things sentry removal by many military's.

steve, Most styles have some grappling in them, and most grappling styles have some strikes. Aikido for instance has strikes and is a grappling system.
Most grapplers I have met have been on a hole more into choking them out, or submitting them because they would rather not kill them. that is not a bad thing at all!

I just would not want to go to the ground with the attacker. there are some Japanese Jujitsu systems that go to a knee and put the attacker on the ground. I have not SEEN any Bjj practitioner do that myself. I do not doubt that they can, but most train with going to the ground all the way with the opponent. and you will react as you trained under stress.

If you are comfortable with that, that is good. my point was and is that being down on the ground with him leaves you vulnerable to some actions by his friends.

There's a position in BJJ called knee on belly. It's exactly what you're talking about. And it sucks for the guy under it. Typically, it's for when you're transitioning from the ground to standing or from side control to mount.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's a position in BJJ called knee on belly. It's exactly what you're talking about. And it sucks for the guy under it. Typically, it's for when you're transitioning from the ground to standing or from side control to mount.

In the hands (or in this case, knee) of a talented Jiu-Jitsu man, it is one of the most frustrating things to escape you will ever encounter.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A) Do you believe that certain styles benefit certain body types more than others? Essentially, can you truly reccomend an art for someone based on their body type? For example, since Wing Chun was made specifically with the small in mind, does it really benefit smaller/faster individuals more than others? Since Taekwondo uses a lot of headkicks, does that mean shorter artists shouldn't flock to it? Since Kyokushin karate punishes the body, should skinny framed guys stay away?
I think that certain body types may enjoy advantages in certain arts, but I think that all are benefited. A lot of benefit comes from finding how your particular body type performs the art best.

B) Do you personally believe in the concept of styles? The way I see it, no two human beings are the same. Each will fight and perform differently, so the concept of a style has little to do with it. However the style you choose can influence your fighting philosophies. I believe that your preferred style gives you a base, but it's your mind and what you put into it that makes up how you actually perform.
Concept of styles, as in the way that an individual practice an art being different from how another practices, though both practice the same art and the same branch/ryu/kwan of that art? Yes, I think that everyone finds their own unique expression with the caveat that in competition, people tend to look less distinct because competition tends to favor performing in a way that is the most advantageous within the given rule set.

Just to touch up a little on B. I'm a Taekwondo fighter for example. But I don't really kick to the head. I use vertical fist lead hand strikes ( i corkscrew back hand strikes towards the body ), I prefer palms over fists and infighting rather than ranged kicking. When shadowboxing, I tend to use way more elbows and knees than anything else, and I use fakes and jabs and footwork like a boxer/jeet kune do man. Would you say that my style is still "Taekwondo"? or simply "Martial artist trained in Taekwondo"
Sure, I'd still call it taekwondo. The technical body of the art is much broader than the competitive expression, which will generally be shaped by the competition rules.

Latest Discussions