Ed Parker Jr. names his father's successor: GM Michael Pick !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the William Chow Memorial Banquet...an snippet of Mr. Ed Parker Jr.'s speech as told by Mr. Sean Kelley:

"He went on to say how at the Chow memorial he was constantly being asked who his fathers Successor was and who fits the role of being a responsible person the seat of Ed Parker's Legacy? Edmund said it was clear that the Chow Lineage reminded him of how the Hawaiian
culture was wanting to know who the "Bull" was in the Parker family? Who was the pointed man all knew him by name and reputation? Who was the man who was there from the beginning to his very end? And who in the eyes of the remaining blood line did they believe would represent the name and the art Ed Parker created for the future successors to be guided by or counseled by?

As the tears came down his face for the Um-teen time as the memory of his parents never go away....and how many say this young 48 year old kind hearted man has no worth or opinion to account for....he calmy said in my eyes only one man has ever been by my fathers side,my side, our families side and has never left it.....that is Michael Robert Pick. He is my fathers successor, he is what my father represented, he is what Kenpo stands for."

:eek: :eek:

Holy Cow!

Congratulations to GM Pick! :asian:

Although I don't think the controversy will stop here...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're right... the controversy won't stop there.

Mr. Pick is an excellent choice and the reasons stated sounds very solid to me. I value Mr. Parker Jr.'s opinion. His family has been through a lot....

- Ceicei

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right... the controversy won't stop there.

Mr. Pick is an excellent choice and the reasons stated sounds very solid to me. I value Mr. Parker Jr.'s opinion. His family has been through a lot....

- Ceicei

Even though I'm not a Kenpoist, I have to agree. An excellent choice.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it is a great pic. but to be honest I do not believe it means much to those that are all ready to hold judgement

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not so, by naming a successor, you get the idea of the direction people, we have come to respect, want to take the art. If they are against it. That is saying somthing as well.
Sean

Well, its already causing quite a controversy. IMO, if Mr. Parker named someone prior to his death I think it may have been different. Although Mr. Pick was named by Ed Jr., looking at the KN, the flames are growing.

Like I always say...I'm just looking to train. I'm really not into politics.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a similar thread going on over at Kenpotalk. Looks like Mr. Parker was not really naming a successor for his father. Rather, it was more his own opinion of who stuck with his father thru thick and thin from the early days on and such. Looks like Mr. Parker is pretty irritated by and fed up with the kenpo community at large and wishes everyone would go jump off a cliff. Can't say I blame him. I'd say, just let this go, don't fan the flames and leave the guy alone.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a similar thread going on over at Kenpotalk. Looks like Mr. Parker was not really naming a successor for his father. Rather, it was more his own opinion of who stuck with his father thru thick and thin from the early days on and such. Looks like Mr. Parker is pretty irritated by and fed up with the kenpo community at large and wishes everyone would go jump off a cliff. Can't say I blame him. I'd say, just let this go, don't fan the flames and leave the guy alone.

Yes, same thing over on KN. Ya know, it'd be nice to let the mans father rest in peace. Like I said, I can give a rats behind about the politics, I just want to train.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the William Chow Memorial Banquet...an snippet of Mr. Ed Parker Jr.'s speech as told by Mr. Sean Kelley:

"He went on to say how at the Chow memorial he was constantly being asked who his fathers Successor was and who fits the role of being a responsible person the seat of Ed Parker's Legacy? Edmund said it was clear that the Chow Lineage reminded him of how the Hawaiian
culture was wanting to know who the "Bull" was in the Parker family? Who was the pointed man all knew him by name and reputation? Who was the man who was there from the beginning to his very end? And who in the eyes of the remaining blood line did they believe would represent the name and the art Ed Parker created for the future successors to be guided by or counseled by?

As the tears came down his face for the Um-teen time as the memory of his parents never go away....and how many say this young 48 year old kind hearted man has no worth or opinion to account for....he calmy said in my eyes only one man has ever been by my fathers side,my side, our families side and has never left it.....that is Michael Robert Pick. He is my fathers successor, he is what my father represented, he is what Kenpo stands for."

:eek: :eek:

Holy Cow!

Congratulations to GM Pick! :asian:

Although I don't think the controversy will stop here...

Look at the source. I've known Edmund literally all his life, and he would not even hint at naming a successor. Ultimately he'll speak out and correct what I'm sure is a misrepresentation of his words by those with an agenda of their own. Instead focus on Edmunds great artistic contributions to us all, and forget the politics that some will lay at his feet without his knowledge.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think naming a successor at this point will mean a thing.

No it wouldn't, nor would Edmund do that. More likely he was being kind and saying nice things about to those who were in attendance. Who wouldn't? I can guarantee the word "successor" was NEVER used.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to read all the hoopla on the KN but its all gone. Curses!

It was requested by Mr Parker Jr that the theads in question be deleated. Personally, I'm glad that they were removed. If someone wants to have a discussion as to whether or not a successor is good or bad, thats fine. Heck, we're having one right here. :) What makes it bad, is when it doesnt stay civil.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I intended to read them tonight when I saw them this morning but, shoulda coulda woulda. I'll start the debate over here, however. I feel Mr. Picks version of Kenpo would be perfect for a guy my size but I'm not so sure its the best bet for everyone. Thoughts?...
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I intended to read them tonight when I saw them this morning but, shoulda coulda woulda. I'll start the debate over here, however. I feel Mr. Picks version of Kenpo would be perfect for a guy my size but I'm not so sure its the best bet for everyone. Thoughts?...
Sean

For those that don't know (like myself :) ) could you elaborate a little more on what his version is like?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those that don't know (like myself :) ) could you elaborate a little more on what his version is like?
Its sorta no retreat no surrender. I like the idea, but if I were to teach the art to a child, I'm not so sure a ten year old girl can dominate an adult male or have the mentality that that is the only option. I would want my daughter keeping a wide range between herself and danger. On the other hand, when push comes to shove, maybe she should try domination before submitting to the undesirable alternatives. Anywho, learning to defend yourself and learning to be a warrior can be two different things. I sense a narrowing of purpose.
Sean

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its sorta no retreat no surrender. I like the idea, but if I were to teach the art to a child, I'm not so sure a ten year old girl can dominate an adult male or have the mentality that that is the only option. I would want my daughter keeping a wide range between herself and danger. On the other hand, when push comes to shove, maybe she should try domination before submitting to the undesirable alternatives. Anywho, learning to defend yourself and learning to be a warrior can be two different things. I sense a narrowing of purpose.
Sean

He's also known for having a rigorous knife program. IIRC he begins blade training at yellow. GM Pick is a Vietnam vet, which has influenced his interest in bladesmanship.

KenpoGunz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So will there be any official public statement from Mr. Parker Jr. regarding this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions