Ed Parker Jr.

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
On Saturday, February 4th, at Professor Chow's Memorial Seminar, I had the extreme pleasure and honor to meet and speak a little with Mr. Ed Parker Jr., who was there to represent his father. I really enjoyed his seminar with Mr. Sean P. Kelley (http://www.seankelley.com/seankelley_kelleykarate.html) helping.

In my honest opinion, Mr. Parker is a genuinely really nice person. He took the time to speak with everyone who came to talk with him. He especially looked people in the eye. In my line of work as a fire inspector/fire investigator, I meet and talk with people everyday, so I kinda get a feel for how a person really is on the inside... He is one of those "nice guys." (I bet Sean Kelley is also one of the nice guys.)

Ed Parker Jr. is also an extremely talented artist. I am so really impressed with his work. You can go to his website at: http://www.edparkerjr.com/Art Site/Welcome.html to see what I'm talking about.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time!

Mr. Parker has stuck his head in here from time to time. He does indeed sound like a genuinely nice guy.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time!

Mr. Parker has stuck his head in here from time to time. He does indeed sound like a genuinely nice guy.

No he's not, he was a little punk. Then he kinda grew up and stop playing on the mat when his father was teaching, and became a nice guy.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No he's not, he was a little punk. Then he kinda grew up and stop playing on the mat when his father was teaching, and became a nice guy.
Heh, you should know eh Doc? But then again weren't we all annoying little brats at one time or another? Yes, even you.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jr. myself and enjoyed talking with him. A good man to be sure.

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
How was he as a Kenpo practitioner?

He showed some great stuff that I never thought about in regards to balance and catching people in that moment of imbalance to make them defenseless. He showed how removing a certain portion of a person's body out of the equation of maintaining balance or control will cause that person to be simply out of balance: wrist, elbow, shoulder and hip, knee, and ankle... (I like simple concepts...) He was making it look so simple taking people down to the ground effortlessly...

Mr. Parker also expressed that we need to remember our forefathers (teachers/instructors) and our history and lineage...he was happy to be a part of the Memorial.

Mr. Sean Kelley was great too...he showed some power in his part of his teaching...unfortunately, I could not participate since I was there "working" ("Gopher," time keeper, etc.) for Master Bill Chun Jr., the host.

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On Saturday, February 4th, at Professor Chow's Memorial Seminar, I had the extreme pleasure and honor to meet and speak a little with Mr. Ed Parker Jr., who was there to represent his father. I really enjoyed his seminar with Mr. Sean P. Kelley (http://www.seankelley.com/seankelley_kelleykarate.html) helping.

In my honest opinion, Mr. Parker is a genuinely really nice person. He took the time to speak with everyone who came to talk with him. He especially looked people in the eye. In my line of work as a fire inspector/fire investigator, I meet and talk with people everyday, so I kinda get a feel for how a person really is on the inside... He is one of those "nice guys." (I bet Sean Kelley is also one of the nice guys.)

Ed Parker Jr. is also an extremely talented artist. I am so really impressed with his work. You can go to his website at: http://www.edparkerjr.com/Art Site/Welcome.html to see what I'm talking about.

His Kenpo Kards are really nice, I will keep the pack he gave to us preciously.

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
His Kenpo Kards are really nice, I will keep the pack he gave to us preciously.

http://www.edparkerjr.com/Art Site/Galleries.html

brilliant idea to remember techniques with the moves on the back of the kard...

(sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you bill007...which seminar room were you in? or which color band did you wear? I was the one standing by the door in a white gi whenever Ed Parker Jr and Nick Cerio's Kenpo were teaching...)

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
http://www.edparkerjr.com/Art Site/Galleries.html

brilliant idea to remember techniques with the moves on the back of the kard...

(sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you bill007...which seminar room were you in? or which color band did you wear? I was the one standing by the door in a white gi whenever Ed Parker Jr and Nick Cerio's Kenpo were teaching...)

I have seen you but didn't have time to talk to you because you guy's where running around everywhere... I was with the Quebec group the one with the brown belt, I was sitting at Master Chun table and have talked with Mr. Péladeau and find he have family here in Drummondville Qc. and also with one of his son the one who was talking so much at the mic...:wink1: and with the professor Chow nephew and of course Master Chun and Miss Chun, it was such an experience to be there and meet all those living legend, I wish I could stay longer there but have to come back and freeze my a... here, next time I will go there in California I will stay longer for sure.

Dominic

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have seen you but didn't have time to talk to you because you guy's where running around everywhere... I was with the Quebec group the one with the brown belt, I was sitting at Master Chun table and have talked with Mr. Péladeau and find he have family here in Drummondville Qc. and also with one of his son the one who was talking so much at the mic...:wink1: and with the professor Chow nephew and of course Master Chun and Miss Chun, it was such an experience to be there and meet all those living legend, I wish I could stay longer there but have to come back and freeze my a... here, next time I will go there in California I will stay longer for sure.

Dominic

Dominic, you had the best seat at the banquet, sitting with Master Peladeau, Master Chun, Mrs. Chun, Lester Chow, and Brian Peladeau with Rob Peladeau as MC...Are you that big guy - the biggest of the Quebec group with kinda curly dark blonde or light brown color hair? I remember hearing your name mentioned, but I did not even associate it with MartialTalk. I'm sorry because I had plenty of time to have spoken with you...on Thursday afternoon when we all arrived at the same time at the hotel, at Master Chun's parlor suite on Thursday night, during the seminars, and of course at the banquet...(My excuse is that this was my first major martial arts event.) Thank you for coming a long ways to the seminar. I hope one day I get to go with Master Chun up to visit you guys or get to see you guys when you come visit down here...

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dominic, you had the best seat at the banquet, sitting with Master Peladeau, Master Chun, Mrs. Chun, Lester Chow, and Brian Peladeau with Rob Peladeau as MC...Are you that big guy - the biggest of the Quebec group with kinda curly dark blonde or light brown color hair? I remember hearing your name mentioned, but I did not even associate it with MartialTalk. I'm sorry because I had plenty of time to have spoken with you...on Thursday afternoon when we all arrived at the same time at the hotel, at Master Chun's parlor suite on Thursday night, during the seminars, and of course at the banquet...(My excuse is that this was my first major martial arts event.) Thank you for coming a long ways to the seminar. I hope one day I get to go with Master Chun up to visit you guys or get to see you guys when you come visit down here...

not the taller one i'm big but the one you think about is another one I have made a quick trip arrived on friday the others from Quebec where there on thursday but not me they come from Quebec city and I come from Montreal and we where not on the same plane, Im the wide one with short dark hair and blue eyes. I will pm you my msn adress.

Dom

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im the wide one with short dark hair and blue eyes.

I remember you now. You were wearing a black gi. Yes, you were not with the others that arrived on Thursday. Regardless, I should have introduced myself to you and everyone else that was there...sometimes it's hard intially because of shyness, etc. I'll e-mail you today...

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who don't know, there was a gathering of oldsters there from all over. Messieurs Mitose and Castro were in attendence, as were a plethora of kajukenbo ancients, and several not-so-famous, but rather impressive, students of Mr. Chow. Edmund was there, along with Sean Kelly.

There were so many kaju folks, that I gave up on names. I did get the chance to chat with Mr. Bowles, whom I had not seen for many years. And I had the chance to briefly speak with Mr. Chun.

I also successfully managed to avoid getting in any photos (despise the damn things), but there were some excellent opportunities at the gathering. Perhaps someone from kaju can let us know the dignitaries in attendance by name, and someone with photos can post them?

Best Regards,

D.

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember you now. You were wearing a black gi. Yes, you were not with the others that arrived on Thursday. Regardless, I should have introduced myself to you and everyone else that was there...sometimes it's hard intially because of shyness, etc. I'll e-mail you today...

That's me!!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
He showed some great stuff that I never thought about in regards to balance and catching people in that moment of imbalance to make them defenseless. He showed how removing a certain portion of a person's body out of the equation of maintaining balance or control will cause that person to be simply out of balance: wrist, elbow, shoulder and hip, knee, and ankle... (I like simple concepts...) He was making it look so simple taking people down to the ground effortlessly...

Teaching that SubLevel stuff again. Wait til I talk to him about reaching our "secrets." :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Edmund is an excellent student of SubLevel Four Kenpo, and understands all aspects of his fathers work.

I received an email suggesting that Edmund doesn't know "the techniques." I explained that is true. You see, Edmund was never taught the commercial system by his father, but instead principles of applications. This is also true of SubLevel Four. I never taught him technique for technique, but he inculcates the principles that make them and he quite effective. If you think he's not any good, try him, but don't expect him (or me) to do a technique the way the commercial motion system does it, and that's a good thing. Just expect to be "looking at the sky," and wondering how you got there.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...he inculcates the principles that make them and he quite effective...

Sounds like how the FMAs are taught... :)

OP
youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of Mr. Parker's training, I was more impressed with his "down to earth" personality and especially his wonderful artwork - his work on "canvas." In a short conversation with him, he said that ART is his passion. I can see that in his artwork...(over six hundred portraits) I hope people appreciate his wonderful and brilliant talent.

Latest Discussions