Ed Parker Jr. names his father's successor: GM Michael Pick !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So will there be any official public statement from Mr. Parker Jr. regarding this issue?

Given what was said earlier in the thread it is highly doubtful. I think he largely wants folks to leave him be so he can focus on what he loves to do best.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So will there be any official public statement from Mr. Parker Jr. regarding this issue?

It seemed to me that he clarified a few misunderstandings over on KN, but as it was said, those posts are long gone.

KenpoGunz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I missed the posts over at KN. I'm asking only to avoid confusion for myself and figured an offical statement would be the most efficient way to go.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I missed the posts over at KN. I'm asking only to avoid confusion for myself and figured an offical statement would be the most efficient way to go.

Mr. Parker is a member of Martial Talk, and he logs on here from time to time.

If he wants to make a comment on it, he certain can do so. But personally, I'm inclined to leave him be. :)

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No it wouldn't, nor would Edmund do that. More likely he was being kind and saying nice things about to those who were in attendance. Who wouldn't? I can guarantee the word "successor" was NEVER used.

I just feel with the fragmentation that was the IKKA after SGM Parker's passing and the subsequent organizational internal and external politicing (that started even before his passing) it'd be ludicrous to assume that a recognized successor (granting for the moment that someone DID in fact name one - which has never been done) would have any say in any way that would benefit the entire Kenpo community these days.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just feel with the fragmentation that was the IKKA after SGM Parker's passing and the subsequent organizational internal and external politicing (that started even before his passing) it'd be ludicrous to assume that a recognized successor (granting for the moment that someone DID in fact name one - which has never been done) would have any say in any way that would benefit the entire Kenpo community these days.

It seems like everyone has pretty much gone their own way. I mean, everyone has their own organizations and is carrying on 'their' version of the art that Mr. Parker left to them. So, going on that, would it be possible for someone to reign everyone in, so to speak? Like I said, it may have been different if he named someone prior to his death, but that was not the case.

Mike

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its sorta no retreat no surrender. I like the idea, but if I were to teach the art to a child, I'm not so sure a ten year old girl can dominate an adult male or have the mentality that that is the only option. I would want my daughter keeping a wide range between herself and danger. On the other hand, when push comes to shove, maybe she should try domination before submitting to the undesirable alternatives. Anywho, learning to defend yourself and learning to be a warrior can be two different things. I sense a narrowing of purpose.
Sean

That's not really accurate, if you don't mind my saying. Ownership of the spine is not something that is taught in all regards. Adults or children, the objective is to end the fight. The children are taught to "hurt to stop", not "hurt to hurt." Invading the mass is a sure fire way of accomplishing just that, yes, but the lessons of doing maximum damage via proper mechanics learned apply for all cases regardless of size disparity.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
It was actually SGM Parker that started Mr. Pick on the blade. He just appeared to have pursued it more than others, and worked with the SGM to that affect.

Also, formal training with the blade does not begin until 3rd black or so - but that's third black in time duration and mastery of the basics as he teaches them, not stripes on the belt. We all get exposed to it at white, and in fact there are particular lessons of alignment I have taught using a blade on someone's first lesson. But to understand his knife work, you have to understand his empty handed kenpo. And that takes a long time, regardless of where you're coming from. So, the elements of the blade work are founded in the constructs in which he teaches and operates his kenpo, so to "learn a knife technique" one is missing the boat. The constructs used in his kenpo are principle-based and not used in other cirriculum's, including Ed Parker's. Those are what begin at white belt, and they must be absolutely sound (6-10 years, IMHO) in order to really bring the knife in battery effectively

Hope that clarifies.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
But to understand his knife work, you have to understand his empty handed kenpo....And that takes a long time, regardless of where you're coming from....The constructs used in his kenpo are principle-based and not used in other cirriculum's, including Ed Parker's. Those are what begin at white belt, and they must be absolutely sound (6-10 years, IMHO) .....

So how does a guy without those 6-10 years worth of "constructs" get promoted to 7th? It doesn't seem exactly fair to all of those that have been there for the long haul.....

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how does a guy without those 6-10 years worth of "constructs" get promoted to 7th? It doesn't seem exactly fair to all of those that have been there for the long haul.....

See, there you go. Can't wait to get back to Texas.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a Kenpo guy, but I lurk around the Kenpo universe on a continuous basis(hey, there's only so much that you can find out about Shotokan!), so you Kenpo addicts/practitioners(seems to be a mutual thing) take this as you will...

DOC FOR PREZ!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was mention in an earlier post about Mr. Picks style of Kenpo. Would someone be able to provide a more detailed description as to what his version of the art is like?:)

Mike

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Its sorta no retreat no surrender. I like the idea, but if I were to teach the art to a child, I'm not so sure a ten year old girl can dominate an adult male or have the mentality that that is the only option. I would want my daughter keeping a wide range between herself and danger. On the other hand, when push comes to shove, maybe she should try domination before submitting to the undesirable alternatives. Anywho, learning to defend yourself and learning to be a warrior can be two different things. I sense a narrowing of purpose.
Sean

no retreat no surrender is not a technique or method of execution. you can call it a philosophy perhaps-- and the no retreat part would certainly contradict the moral themes Ed Parker senior expoused-- retreating if possible always has been a good and wise option (regardless of your age, gender, size) --can't understand why anyone would not believe that still, even Mike Pick.

Kenpo as defined as a continuous multi-striking method targeting vital areas self-defense system is essentially a warrior system if you choose to call things such. It's not Aikido or Judo and doesn't teach anything like that. Guy grabs you, hit him in the throat is the response taught, then of course follow up by hitting him in the groin and don't forget to smash his face in for good measure.

All Mike Pick may be doing is calling a spade a spade. perhaps there are a few people who don't like hearing that kenpo has always been about beating the hell out of someone who was trying to do the same to you.
but be honest, where in the common versions of kenpo do you see anything else taught?

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

There goes the neighborhood.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It was actually SGM Parker that started Mr. Pick on the blade. He just appeared to have pursued it more than others, and worked with the SGM to that affect.

Also, formal training with the blade does not begin until 3rd black or so - but that's third black in time duration and mastery of the basics as he teaches them, not stripes on the belt. We all get exposed to it at white, and in fact there are particular lessons of alignment I have taught using a blade on someone's first lesson. But to understand his knife work, you have to understand his empty handed kenpo. And that takes a long time, regardless of where you're coming from. So, the elements of the blade work are founded in the constructs in which he teaches and operates his kenpo, so to "learn a knife technique" one is missing the boat. The constructs used in his kenpo are principle-based and not used in other cirriculum's, including Ed Parker's. Those are what begin at white belt, and they must be absolutely sound (6-10 years, IMHO) in order to really bring the knife in battery effectively

Hope that clarifies.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

i've always found it odd that some one suggests that you don't pick up a blade or other weapon till you have had 10 years learning how to fight bare handed.

the history of weapons training for masters of defense and war has always been to put the tool in your hand and begin. if you want to learn how to fight with a knife-- spend those 10 years working with it as you learn to fight empty handed.

this is not saying that Mike Pick doesn't have good reason-- but it would appear that if his knife system is as you describe, that it's way too esoteric and restrictive to be practical to learn.

Mike Pick's own work with the military would contradict this philosophy anyway-- he's not waiting for them to become masters of kenpo before he teaches them how to effectively use and defend against a blade so why would he do that to his own kenpo students?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's not really accurate, if you don't mind my saying. Ownership of the spine is not something that is taught in all regards. Adults or children, the objective is to end the fight. The children are taught to "hurt to stop", not "hurt to hurt." Invading the mass is a sure fire way of accomplishing just that, yes, but the lessons of doing maximum damage via proper mechanics learned apply for all cases regardless of size disparity.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF
Your right. Let me put it this way. Mr. Pick = set focused, Mr. Tatum = tech focus, Mr. Mills = principles of motion focus, Mr. Hancock = cycle of considerations focus. Polanzo = Family grouping Focus...
Sean

amylong

White Belt
Reaction score
Ultimately he'll speak out and correct what I'm sure is a misrepresentation of his words by those with an agenda of their own.

Edmund did make the correction. I don't think it's fair to say that the miscommunication was from someone with a personal agenda.

Is there no room in your philosophy for someone to make an honest mistake? Assuming that others had an agenda speaks more to your own motivations than to those in question here.

I was there; I heard what was said.

The word successor wasn't used, but I could see how some people could've interpreted the situation that way. So, 'honest mistake' is certainly something that should be considered.

Back to the point of successors in general -- it's a little late. lol.

--Amy

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I found it curious when the "S" word was spoken too. I appreciate the passion the poster on KN has for Kenpo and his instructor and the Parker family. I'm sorry it had to be misinterpreted and then put out there for us to discuss. A good discussion nonetheless. However, I think it is over done by now.

For my 2 cents, a successor that doesn't teach the original version doesn't seem to be a successor. Like TOD pointed out many of those close to Mr. Parker Sr. have focused their version of Kenpo on the many different aspects one can separate from the orignial. I think it would be very difficult to use the "S" word it a strict sense.

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score

The UKF has no 7th degrees. There's promoting a long time student, and there's recognition. Two different animals. No different than Ed Parker having promoted many he did not teach.

Salute,

Steven Brown
UKF

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
i've always found it odd that some one suggests that you don't pick up a blade or other weapon till you have had 10 years learning how to fight bare handed.

That's not the case, I said "formal training" with it, i.e. when its what you're s'posed to be working on. You will get alot of exposure through the years.

the history of weapons training for masters of defense and war has always been to put the tool in your hand and begin.

And such is the case with all military operatives who've been introduced to his knife stuff. The introductory stuff works extremely well.

Hope that clarifies. Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

Status
Not open for further replies.