Ed Parker Jr.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your absolutely right. But let me ask you a question: Do you think of your accomplishments as 'just cloth and paper'?

My accomplishments will never be defined by a mere ten foot long cloth strap wrapped around my waist or some papers tacked to my walls. My accomplishments are both internal and external. Internal in the skills I possess and external in the way I share my skills with others. The Belt, Certificates and Ranks are just cloths and pieces of papers that say "someone else thinks I'm this good". When I am dead and gone will people in the Martial Arts remember me for my skill and sharing or for what my last Black Belt certificate said I was? I hope it's the former.

At the risk of seeming Arrogant here is a clip of me being admittedly lazy in my Backyard working out (and after teaching for 6 hours). Included on the clip is a slow, lazy Long Form 6. I am a 3rd Black in Parker Kenpo

Here is a clip of a 7th Degree Black Belt in Parker Kenpo doing Long Form 6 at a tournament. Meaning he is supposed to be well prepared and certainly not lazy like someone working out in backyard.

How important is that degree again? At the risk of being Brash his tournament 6 doesn't even come close to standing to my lazy backyard version where I'm just "going through the motions". And his belt has FAR more red on it than mine. Things like this are why the Belts, Ranks, and Certificates are "just cloth and paper" In my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With regards to Mr. Parker (you know,... the topic of this thread?) If he belongs to a style that doesn't acknowledge belt colors, so be it. Some styles tend to do this. However, again, he came up around the Kenpo ancients, and old schoolers, including Mr. Parker senior. The kenpo he has learned, which has been backed up by those people, is legit, as are they. If art is his first passion in life, don't down play that, or think of him as less than another martial artist. He's not his father (no one is), he's an individual person, as we all are, and shouldn't have the pressure of living up to a legend's standards thrust upon him. As for a rank, speaking from the point of view that is unknowledgeable to pm's emails, etc.. that have been exchanged, that is fueling the current debate, it doesn't matter. It doesn't, with regard to any of us. We all make our contributions in one way or another. At the same time, the question of his rank, asked by someone who is just asking, there's nothing wrong with that, or any negative tones. If none is used in his system, that's all that needed to be said.

We're all here to talk and learn from each other. Questions are o.k.
icon10.gif

Salute.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
With regards to Mr. Parker (you know,... the topic of this thread?) If he belongs to a style that doesn't acknowledge belt colors, so be it. Some styles tend to do this. However, again, he came up around the Kenpo ancients, and old schoolers, including Mr. Parker senior. The kenpo he has learned, which has been backed up by those people, is legit, as are they. If art is his first passion in life, don't down play that, or think of him as less than another martial artist. He's not his father (no one is), he's an individual person, as we all are, and shouldn't have the pressure of living up to a legend's standards thrust upon him. As for a rank, speaking from the point of view that is unknowledgeable to pm's emails, etc.. that have been exchanged, that is fueling the current debate, it doesn't matter. It doesn't, with regard to any of us. We all make our contributions in one way or another. At the same time, the question of his rank, asked by someone who is just asking, there's nothing wrong with that, or any negative tones. If none is used in his system, that's all that needed to be said.

We're all here to talk and learn from each other. Questions are o.k.
icon10.gif

You are probably correct along the "high road" lines of logic. I'm just still too miffed at what I percieved as an "attack on the authority of the speaker to speak" to be rational about it. Edmund is a good man with solid kenpo and a kind heart. His dedication to his own path should be honored, not questioned. But like I said...I'm probably still too peeved to read and respond objectively, so I'm gonna go away for a spell and allow cooler heads to prevail.

D.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My accomplishments will never be defined by a mere ten foot long cloth strap wrapped around my waist or some papers tacked to my walls. My accomplishments are both internal and external. Internal in the skills I possess and external in the way I share my skills with others. The Belt, Certificates and Ranks are just cloths and pieces of papers that say "someone else thinks I'm this good". When I am dead and gone will people in the Martial Arts remember me for my skill and sharing or for what my last Black Belt certificate said I was? I hope it's the former.

At the risk of seeming Arrogant here is a clip of me being admittedly lazy in my Backyard working out (and after teaching for 6 hours). Included on the clip is a slow, lazy Long Form 6. I am a 3rd Black in Parker Kenpo

Here is a clip of a 7th Degree Black Belt in Parker Kenpo doing Long Form 6 at a tournament. Meaning he is supposed to be well prepared and certainly not lazy like someone working out in backyard.

How important is that degree again? At the risk of being Brash his tournament 6 doesn't even come close to standing to my lazy backyard version where I'm just "going through the motions". And his belt has FAR more red on it than mine. Things like this are why the Belts, Ranks, and Certificates are "just cloth and paper" In my opinion.
Sorry. I'm showing my ignorance regarding Kenpo. With all the red bars and stripes in Kenpo, I was under the impression that it was important. We don't wear bars and stripes in the Art I study. Just a plain old black belt. I assumed all the red was representative of something to be proud of. That's what I get for ***uming. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are probably correct along the "high road" lines of logic. I'm just still too miffed at what I percieved as an "attack on the authority of the speaker to speak" to be rational about it. Edmund is a good man with solid kenpo and a kind heart. His dedication to his own path should be honored, not questioned. But like I said...I'm probably still too peeved to read and respond objectively, so I'm gonna go away for a spell and allow cooler heads to prevail.

D.
I totally agree. I've met him a couple of times and I think he's a great guy. I hope I didn't say anything to make you think otherwise.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm showing my ignorance regarding Kenpo. With all the red bars and stripes in Kenpo, I was under the impression that it was important. We don't wear bars and stripes in the Art I study. Just a plain old black belt. I assumed all the red was representative of something to be proud of. That's what I get for ***uming. lol.

If there was a set "standard" then yes all the red bars, and belts, and degrees and certs, etc. would be important. Unfortunately, the standards vary so much that the significance of the belts, etc. gets lost.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Great Job everyone. Two thumbs up
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
, for clearing the air. I'ts very difficult getting the tone and meaning of someone using words on a screen as a guide. Especially when our "family" is so guarded and emotional
icon10.gif

Bottom line of this thread is that someone had a great martial art experience, and a new mind was opened further for a new journey. That's what it's all about!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
, for clearing the air. I'ts very difficult getting the tone and meaning of someone using words on a screen as a guide. Especially when our "family" is so guarded and emotional
icon10.gif

Bottom line of this thread is that someone had a great martial art experience, and a new mind was opened further for a new journey.

That's what it's all about!

AMEN.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had the honor of meeting Ed Parker Jr. in the summer of 2005. We were on a family trip to California and I had my copy of "The Journey" along that I wanted to get signed by a few people. I had left a message at Mr. Parkers office and while I was getting the book signed by Mr. Tatum I got a call that Mr. Parker was out but I could come the next day. When I explained I was leaving to go back to Minnesota that day, the assistant told me she would call me back.

About 2 minutes later she called and informed me that Mr. Parker would like me to come to his house to get my bok signed.

I spent about 30 minutes on Mr. Parkers front porch having a great conversation. He was very gracious and courteous. I am honored to have met him and was very grateful he took time out of his day to meet with me.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon10.gif

Bottom line of this thread is that someone had a great martial art experience, and a new mind was opened further for a new journey. That's what it's all about!

Yes, I didn't know much about EP, Jr., so was happy to know what a nice person he is, as well as an accomplished martial artist (anyone who can take others down using leverage has my vote for understanding the arts). Glad I followed this enlightening--if sometimes a bit heated--thread.
~kidswarrior

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions