Driving: Pet Peeves

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
anyone with not enough sence to pull over and let emergency cars,trucks, ambulences, etc. pass

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
anyone with not enough sence to pull over and let emergency cars,trucks, ambulences, etc. pass

Indeed. There were two accidents involving ambulances in Colorado in the last two weeks - one involving a teen trying to go throw an intersection (ran a stop sign), and one involving an ambulance driving trying to pass a semi (still under investigation). I see people not stopping all the time, or trying to follow closely behind emergency vehicles to take advantage of those who do stop.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
--Ladies who do their mascara in their rearview as they make their way to work. The rearview is not the place to apply mascara. The rearview is way better for lipstick, LOL.
--Guys whose egos will not let them be overtaken by a girl in a more powerful car.
--Cyclists who treat red lights as more of a suggestion.
--Superbike riders who harrass everyone just because their bikes are faster.
--Superbike riders who are actually just old guys with complicated middle age issues (and who harass everyone just because their bikes are faster)
--Truck drivers sans trailer who feel their lighter load gives them indycar superstrength.

And to all those other folk who just "own the road" I salute you all :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
--Ladies who do their mascara in their rearview as they make their way to work. The rearview is not the place to apply mascara. The rearview is way better for lipstick, LOL.

And Dry their hair, and apply facial make-up, etcetera ;)

Jenna said:
--Guys whose egos will not let them be overtaken by a girl in a more powerful car.

Hey a "Girl" in a Powerful Car who can drive it is attractive to me. But then again am an engineer and like challenges and giving due credit where due credit is due.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Too many pet peeves to list, but the biggest one for me is tailgating. Especially when I'm already doing 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Even more so when there's a car in front of me and it's only a one or two-lane road.

I need a bumper sticker that says: "I don't swing that way. Please, get off my ***!"

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Hey a "Girl" in a Powerful Car who can drive it is attractive to me. But then again am an engineer and like challenges and giving due credit where due credit is due.
Hey big mad Rich my fighting friend :)
I can see why so many good Martial Talk folk are using signatures with quotations and pearls of wisdom issued from you yourself. What can I say, his one here's just doing it for me!

But yes, see that's the thing there. Challenge = competition, yes? And guys are competitive irrespective of age. I have a pet theory that younger guys cannot allow themselves to be passed by me because it creates too much of a dislocation of their fragile ego. With the guys that are out of their twenties and theoretically mature enough to know better, they have the self-confidence to ensure the ego-denting is not so much of an issue. But you hit the nail on the head when you said it's not about damaged ego, it's more about rising to a "challenge".

As en engineer Rich you'll know there ain't no arguing with power, LOL. If I have it and you don't then what's a badboy to do? ;) Anytime Rich, anytime :D

Pay no heed, I'm just jokin wid ya...

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, where to start? Blue-Hair drivers? Tailgaters? Semis who "own the road"? Farm Trucks who havent seen an inspection station in 40 years? Oh the decisions, there are so many!

Tailgaters! That has to be my BIGGEST pet-peeve on the road. Come on, I am always going way too far over the speed limit already, just pass already. I know I drive a little junker to work, but 70 in a 50 is my usual speed, shouldn't matter if it is in a Jag, or on a skateboard. I know you have a "nicer" car than this one is, just proves Daddy gives anything to idiots. Makes me want to go home and get my little Jeep CJ-5 and show them that size dosen't matter - except under the hood! (Just to answer the inevetable questions: 375-HP 360 CI, 400+Ft/Lb; Stick (of course), Fiberglass body - total weight 1850 Lbs with me and 25 gallons of gas aboard.)

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People who feel that they must pull out in front of you, only to turn off a few blocks down the street. They really couldn't wait...could they?

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The dorks in the "whatever car club" that wave to each other just because their driving the same kind of car. Corvette owners are notorious for this.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
The dorks in the "whatever car club" that wave to each other just because their driving the same kind of car. Corvette owners are notorious for this.
Ah yes. 'Vette etiquette. Doesn't usually bother me until they stop in the middle of the road to do it.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have many, many, driving pet peeves. Here are a couple I can think of right off the bat.

One is not using turn signals..or breaking and as an afterthought using the turn signal...yeah...

Another is when people know a lane is merging and instead of merging while there's room and keeping everything flowing smoothly...they insist on driving past everyone else and then trying to squeeze in right at the merge therefore tying up traffic and creating more mess...ack...I hate that.

On another note...speaking of car clubs...many years ago I worked with a woman who drove a Chevette...she was always calling it her "Vette"...I wanted to smack her.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good ones so far; I'm with ya on most of them.

One of my big ones that I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned yet is rubberneckers. Trust me, folks, if there's 15 cops, EMT's, and firefighters around the accident, it's being handled and they don't need you to help. And if you're curious to the point that you're willing to cause another one by slowing down to see what's going on, you should be interested enough to watch the news that night. Please just keep on driving.

4-way intersections. I love it when two-four cars pull up and either slow down to be nice where they know they won't be the first to stop so the other person can go, except that all of the cars are thinking the same thing, or when someone speeds up to the stop sign and slams on the brakes so that they're the first to stop, therefore the first to go. And when everybody's feeling nice and waves someone else on, but nobody really knows who was there first, so we sit for 5-10 seconds trying to decide whose turn it is.

Use of the left lane is my biggest one. Get into the left lane to pass and when someone comes up behind because they are going faster, get out of their way. That's it, it's not rocket surgery :).

It's funny, because I live in the Ohio, Kentucky, indiana Tri-state area and I see the 4-way stop thing mostly in IN, the left-lane thing mostly in OH, and the problem with not using turn signals seems predominant in my home area of Northern Kentucky. Funny about regional driving patterns. I'm not even sure that cars purchased in NKY even come equipped with turn signals sometimes. It's kind of anoying in general, but really sucks when you're trying to turn right onto a road and someone is coming, but they want to turn onto your road, but they don't use s signal, so you have to wait until they're completely on your road until you can get onto the next one. God, I hate that.

And of course, the selfish jerks who try to speed ahead of traffic jams and squeeze their way in way up at the front, which actually makes the traffic jam last longer because someone will eventually stop to let these idiots in, instead of keeping things flowing at a slow pace. Hey, slow's better than stopped. Just makes you wish you carried a bunch of thumbtacks or nails in your car for their tires.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey big mad Rich my fighting friend :)
I can see why so many good Martial Talk folk are using signatures with quotations and pearls of wisdom issued from you yourself. What can I say, his one here's just doing it for me!

But yes, see that's the thing there. Challenge = competition, yes? And guys are competitive irrespective of age. I have a pet theory that younger guys cannot allow themselves to be passed by me because it creates too much of a dislocation of their fragile ego. With the guys that are out of their twenties and theoretically mature enough to know better, they have the self-confidence to ensure the ego-denting is not so much of an issue. But you hit the nail on the head when you said it's not about damaged ego, it's more about rising to a "challenge".

As en engineer Rich you'll know there ain't no arguing with power, LOL. If I have it and you don't then what's a badboy to do? ;) Anytime Rich, anytime :D

Pay no heed, I'm just jokin wid ya...

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Jenna et al,

Power wins on the open road. :D

Skill wins in the hook-up and handling the launch without squealing the tires.

Also, I have a simple V6 Firebird and I play with the V8 Mustangs. In long open roads of course they pull ahead of me, but from stop light to stop light (* No one else around *) or empty highway and play is commenced, it is not until they reach 80+ MPH / 128 KPH that they begin the edge in front.

Now if they have a running start their is no way to catch the up to the power that is already running. ;)

Also there is usually no replacement for displacement but this assumes equal skills. ;)

As to pet peeves for driving, those that have to come along side you with no room to move for anyone and try to act like there is going to be a race.

Also those that drive on purpose to cut off a sports car even if the sports car is only doing the speed limit just like the last five cars that passed the person in question, but they have to cut you off to show you need to slow down, even though the 4x4 SUV went by even faster.

Most people who drive a sports car, pay attention to the speed limit becuase the cops are looking for them to make a move, while the Soccer Mom in the SUV can swerve and be all over the road on the cell phone going faster then the speed limit then slowing for no apparent reason just becuase they are talking more intense on the phone.

****** Note I do not adovacte speeding nor racing as they both can be dangerous to yourself and those around you. ******

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xequat said:
Good ones so far; I'm with ya on most of them.

One of my big ones that I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned yet is rubberneckers. Trust me, folks, if there's 15 cops, EMT's, and firefighters around the accident, it's being handled and they don't need you to help. And if you're curious to the point that you're willing to cause another one by slowing down to see what's going on, you should be interested enough to watch the news that night. Please just keep on driving.

4-way intersections. I love it when two-four cars pull up and either slow down to be nice where they know they won't be the first to stop so the other person can go, except that all of the cars are thinking the same thing, or when someone speeds up to the stop sign and slams on the brakes so that they're the first to stop, therefore the first to go. And when everybody's feeling nice and waves someone else on, but nobody really knows who was there first, so we sit for 5-10 seconds trying to decide whose turn it is.

Use of the left lane is my biggest one. Get into the left lane to pass and when someone comes up behind because they are going faster, get out of their way. That's it, it's not rocket surgery :).

It's funny, because I live in the Ohio, Kentucky, indiana Tri-state area and I see the 4-way stop thing mostly in IN, the left-lane thing mostly in OH, and the problem with not using turn signals seems predominant in my home area of Northern Kentucky. Funny about regional driving patterns. I'm not even sure that cars purchased in NKY even come equipped with turn signals sometimes. It's kind of anoying in general, but really sucks when you're trying to turn right onto a road and someone is coming, but they want to turn onto your road, but they don't use s signal, so you have to wait until they're completely on your road until you can get onto the next one. God, I hate that.

And of course, the selfish jerks who try to speed ahead of traffic jams and squeeze their way in way up at the front, which actually makes the traffic jam last longer because someone will eventually stop to let these idiots in, instead of keeping things flowing at a slow pace. Hey, slow's better than stopped. Just makes you wish you carried a bunch of thumbtacks or nails in your car for their tires.

Not being an EMT or Officer of the Law, and also being a witness and first responder to some situations, it is either just bent cars which is nothing new, or Hurt people, which most people really do not want to see.

Stop the gawking, pay attention yes, and slow down for thsoe working, but do not come to a stop and look and then speed away.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
crushing said:
The dim people driving with their parking lights on rather than just turning their lights on. I guess they're parking down the highway. I think they think it looks cool. I see it a lot on the sportier cars and trucks. Some people are even worse and don't turn any lights on when it's dark and rainy. Saw that a lot today.

The butt-heads that toss their cigarette butts out the window. It's okay to litter as long as it's done in smaller increments?

Those are good ones! Those are more of my peeves.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
That is always a peeve. That reminds me of something I see all the time, is people that dive for the shoulder when they don't need to. For instance the law reads to give way to the right (meaning if the emergency vehicle is behind you or you are blocking their way). What I see often is when the emergency vehicle is say in one lane (say the left) and it is clear, people in the other lanes feel compelled to slam on the brakes and dive for the shoulder (when they are not blocking or impeding the emergency vehicle at all). Geesh, the purpose is to give the emergency vehicle clearance, it doesn't mean that they are the only vehicle allowed on the road in the immediate area. Another is a two lane road where the emergency vehicle is headed one direction and not only the traffic in front of the emergency vehicle takes the should, so does the traffic in the opposite direction. What is the point in that? They aren't drunk drivers swerving into the other lane.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bydand said:
Makes me want to go home and get my little Jeep CJ-5 and show them that size dosen't matter - except under the hood!
My daily driver is a Jeep TJ, with some K&N and Banks Engineering mods, along with a few others.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Yeah, so do jeepers and bikers. Not a big deal really. Both the jeeps and bikers it goes back to the military men who started driving them in their civilian life. I guess the vette owners decided to do it for it's "cool factor".

I will say I am guilty of it from time to time as a jeep owner.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Yeah, so do jeepers and bikers. Not a big deal really. Both the jeeps and bikers it goes back to the military men who started driving them in their civilian life. I guess the vette owners decided to do it for it's "cool factor".

I will say I am guilty of it from time to time as a jeep owner.

Please don't tell me you have one of those so-called jeeps with the square headlights!!!

Just kidding. I don't really care about the headlights, but I think it's hilarious that some people do.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
while the Soccer Mom in the SUV can swerve and be all over the road on the cell phone going faster then the speed limit then slowing for no apparent reason just becuase they are talking more intense on the phone.

I used to joke that in my minivan that I could be up on the sidewalk hitting pedestrians and I wouldn't be stopped

Latest Discussions