Motorcycle Rides, Rallies & Events.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember the Laconia run from when I lived there in the 70's. it sure has changed sence then

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great link. Hubby just bought a new bike last month (a sweet '06 Super Glide) so I've got it bookmarked now.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Organ Donor Conventions!

LOL I've come WAY closer to death while using MA than I ever have riding my MC

Besides, who wants to live forever? ;)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
LOL I've come WAY closer to death while using MA than I ever have riding my MC

Besides, who wants to live forever? ;)

Dude, youve prolly come closer to death CLIMBING than riding. I know I have, and I WRECKED my bike.

LOL

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CTKempo Todd said:
A bit insensative and uneducated..

Uneducated? Uh, no. In states without helmet laws, this is a common joke among surgeons. Statistics back it up. Consider for example this article from USA Today:

There's a reason those who work in the medical emergency field call motorcycles "donorcycles." Some doctors tell patients who need an organ transplant to sign up on a donor list in states where there is not a mandatory helmet law because there's a better chance of receiving an organ.

To wit, www.donorcycles.com encourages motorcyclists to donate their organs to people who live in states without mandatory helmet laws.

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Uneducated? Uh, no. In states without helmet laws, this is a common joke among surgeons. Statistics back it up. Consider for example this article from USA Today:

You never said anything about Unhelmeted riders...
You group riders all together as donors which I took offense too..

My opinion is that people who ride without helmets is insane and I live in a state with no helmet law (CT) yet the irony is we have a seatbelt law..

However if you want to talk about the availabilty of donor organs,
I believe nationaly there were between 3 and 4,000 motorcycle fatalaties nationwide and over 100,000 passenger vehicle deaths..
So who has the bigger number of organ donor pool?

BTW..I am glad surgeons can joke about deaths of anykind... Grrrr...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CTKempo Todd said:
I live in a state with no helmet law (CT) yet the irony is we have a seatbelt law..
Me too. I live in Illinois. When we lived in TN and NC they both had helmet laws. Now we are here and NO ONE we ride with wears a helmet. Me and hubby were (yes, I said were) the only ones. It never occured to us to not wear one because of the conditioning of having to wear one down south. And before we moved, the bike my hubby had was a standard sport bike (not crotch rocket) that we wore full face helmets on.

I am ashamed to admit, but last Thursday evening, for the first time EVER, we rode without helmets. And...well...it was great. Less air noise, less heat, better peripheral vision...it's just a really nice feeling. I will probably go helmetless for a while. And yes, I am an organ donor...seriously. If it happens, it happens.

My husband is a skilled rider and I trust him and his abilities to react to spontaneous traffic situations. I know the argument about you can't control what someone else does...ie: a car cuts you off or something. But that's true no matter what vehicle you're driving.

The way I feel about it now, is that there are really only a couple months of beautiful riding weather here. Hubby takes the bike to work a couple days a week, other than that we have leisure rides with friends on the weekends. I figure the odds are pretty low that I'm gonna get killed on it. I have however, been involved in 2 car accidents, one of which was a head-on collision, and which were before Illinois had seatbeat laws, therefore, I was not wearing one, that I walked away from. And I was seated in the passenger seat both times.

So, stupid, yeah, maybe, but I am banking on the odds in my situation that I will not become an organ donor any time soon.