Driving: Pet Peeves

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
crushing said:
Please don't tell me you have one of those so-called jeeps with the square headlights!!!

Just kidding. I don't really care about the headlights, but I think it's hilarious that some people do.

Nope, mine is a round eye not a square eye.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Jenna et al,

Power wins on the open road. :D

Also there is usually no replacement for displacement but this assumes equal skills. ;)
Hey Rich ya big road warrior :)
I'll be quick since I'm off-topic but I have to pull you up on these two points. See, you boys over there build the most frighteningly powerful but honest engines there are. BUT, firstly, all that extra capacity = extra weight = less dynamic efficiency and secondly I would say that you guys ain't got such a handle on the chassis and dynamics simply because your big expansive roads don't suit that or need it but rather demand soft and spongy springs and steering that passes if it just works rather than needing to provide the driver with any sort of feedback. SO, upshot is, your Mustang vs my client's Ferrari 360, off the line I'll see ya anyday. At mid-ranges you'll leave me for dead, I'd not have the wheeze to match ya. But if I ship your wild horse over to the Scottish highlands or for a nice spin through these European autobahns and hill passes, on the twisty bits, I'll lose ya for good and be home eating me chocolate before you roll back :)

So there! And you can't reply to this because we're already off-topic, ha! So check and mate :) Nah, just jokin wid ya big man, don't hit me?

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Rich ya big road warrior :)
I'll be quick since I'm off-topic but I have to pull you up on these two points. See, you boys over there build the most frighteningly powerful but honest engines there are. BUT, firstly, all that extra capacity = extra weight = less dynamic efficiency and secondly I would say that you guys ain't got such a handle on the chassis and dynamics simply because your big expansive roads don't suit that or need it but rather demand soft and spongy springs and steering that passes if it just works rather than needing to provide the driver with any sort of feedback. SO, upshot is, your Mustang vs my client's Ferrari 360, off the line I'll see ya anyday. At mid-ranges you'll leave me for dead, I'd not have the wheeze to match ya. But if I ship your wild horse over to the Scottish highlands or for a nice spin through these European autobahns and hill passes, on the twisty bits, I'll lose ya for good and be home eating me chocolate before you roll back :)

So there! And you can't reply to this because we're already off-topic, ha! So check and mate :) Nah, just jokin wid ya big man, don't hit me?

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I love the curves, hence why I got cruiser bike. :D ;) I am too large for a cafe bike. :( I agree that in those tight corners, the suspension is what you need, as well as hooking up off the line.

I also I would like to drive those curves. Sounds like fun.

BTW I am more of a Corvette man or Firebird than a Mustang. ;) Although the new Saturn Sky and Pontiac Soltice with the turbo charger looks good as well.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If the posted speed of a highway is 55 mph, you are driving 55 mph, but the traffic all around you seems to be going 65-70 mph and you insist on being in the center of left lane, perhaps you need to get the hell over to the right lane to get out of the way of the people going just over the limit.

You are on a local street, or a multi-lane street and you are in the right lane. You are either approaching an intersection (where you don't have a stop sign or stop light) or the exit of a parking lot on the right-hand side. A vehicle approaches from the right at a high rate of speed. The driver doesn't look in your direction. YOU HAVE NO FREAKIN' IDEA IF THIS GUY IS GOING TO STOP and you panic a little, either hitting your brakes or attempting a last-minute lane change to avoid what could be an accident only to have the idiot stop (maybe). The least you could do, you idiot, is look in my freakin' direction so that at least I have some sort of signal that you see me coming and you will stop before I take off the nose of your car.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People who think turn signals are only to remind them which way they wanted to turn. Either that or they have broken pinky fingers and can't flip the little lever. Why else would they refuse to use them?

States that allow people to continue driving, whom, at age 17 didn't even need glasses but at age 79 are legally blind.

People, well, cars, with stinky exhaust!!!!!!

I think Ive whinged enough on this!!! I'm sorry to say that I would be one of those people that would suffer from road rage!! :eek:

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Also, I have a simple V6 Firebird and I play with the V8 Mustangs.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I don't think so.

Jenna said:
SO, upshot is, your Mustang vs my client's Ferrari 360, off the line I'll see ya anyday.

I wouldn't want to play in the twisties, but off the line? Anyday...mwahahaha

Anyway. So's to stay on topic, When a lane is closed for whatever reason, do the zipper people. Ya know, merge together, right lane, left lane, right lane etc. It's called common courtesy. You're not going anywhere sonn, anyway.

People who turn right from the left lane.
People who turn left from the right lane.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I don't think so.

Anyway. So's to stay on topic, When a lane is closed for whatever reason, do the zipper people. Ya know, merge together, right lane, left lane, right lane etc. It's called common courtesy. You're not going anywhere sonn, anyway.

People who turn right from the left lane.
People who turn left from the right lane.

Actually YES, I play with the Mustangs. Yes the Cobra's can pull away no problem. But, the 3800 with a manual is deceptive. You squeal your tires and I hook up and get a car length or two on you then it is a catch up, so play is the right word. It makes them work, and if they have the room they can beat me. I was playing with one guy on the express way and he had hsi GF in the car with him and at 85+ he was in the lead, but we still side by side. Yes my 6 was working harder than his 8, but I had the manual and could pick my gear and he had an automatic. At 100 he was clearly in front of me with space between our cars, but not walking away yet. At 110 MPH I ran out of steam and was crawling up to my max at 124 and he bagan to walk away. He got off at the next exit and as he was exiting he asked what I had. I told him a V6, and his GF laughed and hit me in the arm and told him he did not need to spend all that money.

If you are lined up in a straight area and you are moving and both are manuals then the Mustang V8 is easily the winner as there is no replacement for displacement in those conditions. But, off the line if you squeal and or have to hang it out on a corner or do not hve a manual to work your car the way it can be then it changes.

I believe that is what Jenna was trying to say is that the suspension and getting to torque to the wheels without over coming the firction force of the ground is as important if not more important, as well as the twisties and being able to downshift and engine brake as well as brake with four wheel disk, versus just mat it and go. Both are fun in their own ways. :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Hey Don :)

Now, that there's fightin talk, ;) Come on now, what cards you playin??? Are you a wild horse man too??? Anyway, I'm not competitive in these things at all. I don't have to be, though I do see plenty of competition in my rearview, LOL :D

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I absolutely hate it when people don't even bother to stop at a stop sign, and takes my right of way. What I hate more, is when I honk at them, and they either get all mad or look at you like "what did I do?"!

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Don :)

Now, that there's fightin talk, ;) Come on now, what cards you playin??? Are you a wild horse man too???
Um yea, sorta. Mine isn't exactly what you'd call stock. It kinda has one o' supercharger thingies and an auto with a torque converter, shift kit, a couple o' gearing and suspension mods and some other stuff I won't bore you with. It walks all over the 5.4 LS2 "F" bodies much less the little brothers. That's why I was laughing. Good point about traction though. When I first put it in, I set a record for going nowhere but sideways fast on the stock tires. I switched to Kumho's when I set it up for road racing. And I never race on the street...anymore. :)

Just bustin' your chops Rich. Both the stang and FB/Camaro have decent v6 setups, are fun to drive and most importanly, easily modified. :) (I can't leave anything alone...)

tkdgirl said:
I absolutely hate it when people don't even bother to stop at a stop sign, and takes my right of way. What I hate more, is when I honk at them, and they either get all mad or look at you like "what did I do?"!
I hear ya. I don't honk though. Just wave and smile. They get the message.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:

Just bustin' your chops Rich. Both the stang and FB/Camaro have decent v6 setups, are fun to drive and most importanly, easily modified. :) (I can't leave anything alone...)

Yes, when my warrenty runs out, I plan on adding a super charger to mine as well. Just the Super Charger takes it from 220 hp to 250 hp. Do a stage one puley upgrade and you can run about 270 hp. Change the Intake Manifold, and get a little larger exhaust and you start to run it up another 5 to 10 hp each. Add in the stage two pulley and now you start getting into the 290's to 300's with just a little V6. Of course the fusable link then become the clutch, and it should be upgrades as well. Of course after that too much torque and or time at RPM's / Temp gets fatigue in the drive shaft so it should be upgraded as well. With the already limited slip Diff in the read it should hold for most of these mods.

The great thing is that you can do these updates, piece meal as I listed them and it is fun.

And Yes, I do not play on the roads anymore, as I found out that even if I have my car under control, the other guy may not and he put his car sideways through an instersection that is red because he cannot stop in time.

So, I only play on the tracks at work. ;)

This is what I am driving now for work: http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/gallery.jsp?model=xlr. It is not the "V" series and it is an automatic, where I would prefer a manual, but the market buyers all want auto's. Also the suspension is a Cadilliac, so is nice and smooth for a sports car. But not as tight as I might like it. :D

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
This is what I am driving now for work: http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/gallery.jsp?model=xlr. It is not the "V" series and it is an automatic, where I would prefer a manual, but the market buyers all want auto's. Also the suspension is a Cadilliac, so is nice and smooth for a sports car. But not as tight as I might like it. :D

That's a really nice ride! Must suck to be you, Rich. :rolleyes:

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thought of another one. Sorry if it's been mentioned already...

I hate the idiots that don't have the common decency to dim their high-beams for oncoming traffic, even after you've "flashed" them in their face.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
This is what I am driving now for work:

That's a beauty! After seeing that, I'll leave my daily driver out of the discussion...:rolleyes: I guess they don't call you Rich for nuthin'! :p

It's sounds like you've been doing your homework. I think you're underestimating what the blower's gonna get ya though. I picked up 105 rwhp just from that alone. My car stock with the auto was 208rwhp. If you measure yours at the tires with the 5 speed, you're probably close to 200rwhp. Not much difference than mine. I agree, you'll definately have to shore up the drive train, but the differential in the "F" body is much more substantial than the Stang. Just don't put slicks on it.

Henderson said:

I hate the idiots that don't have the common decency to dim their high-beams for oncoming traffic, even after you've "flashed" them in their face.
Nope. It hasn't and that's a good one. Another is the same guy driving behind you. I've always been tempted to install an aircraft light in my rear window just for those "special" people. :uhyeah:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
This is what I am driving now for work: http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/gallery.jsp?model=xlr. It is not the "V" series and it is an automatic, where I would prefer a manual, but the market buyers all want auto's. Also the suspension is a Cadilliac, so is nice and smooth for a sports car. But not as tight as I might like it.
Hey big Rich :)

Bl00dy h3ll! Are you kiddin me? Wow, and look at that pricetag. Man, that's a nice ride ;) I'm not too familiar with the Caddys they're not so big back home but dude I gotta get to know a bit better a guy with means like yours, LOL :D

OK since we're doing a show and tell - I hope this works... here's my 'ansum boy my GTR-33 V-Spec.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/JennaDR2000/JenSkyline.jpg

He pulls 345 bhp and before you throw your hand up and start yakking at me, yeah I have PROOF of that off a rolling road test. What's more with power through ALL my wheels, I ain't got no trouble getting it down onto the road in a hurry. But that's the problem and I've made up my mind while I been out here that he's gotta go because he's too much of a temptation and makes me do BAD things ;) and I've already had my licence disqualified for 6mths and I'm already back up to 9pts worth of endorsements AGAIN for speed offences and if I'm caught again with a conviction for naughty driving ALREADY on my record, well all I'll be driving in the future is me pushbike :(

Soooo... A period of enforced abstinence is well past due and I'm going back to my little baby Seicento Schumacher. I got a photo of him too but y'all will just laugh and be cruel to me but if ya wanna see him, lemme know ;) He's only got 1108cc but I've stripped him right down to well under 600 kilos and added a few spices to make more like the fiery italian boy he is and he's good to 60 in 7.5s which is a thrill and a buzz and still good enough to blow away the boy racers and he is happy for me to play around and push him and throw him about a bit and that's how I like to work it, ha! ;) And so my licence will be safe for a while I guess.

Sorry this is off topic. I blame you Rich and Don ya big petrolheads!

Ok but as a token to the thread, I have a major problem and peeve with motorcycle couriers in London who seem to actively target wing mirrors with their bl00dy great swinging messenger bags just for the h3ll of it. Why I oughtta!! *shakes fist*

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:

That is when I turn them back on high-beam and leave them. Me being in a Jeep with a little bit of a lift, it doesn't take them long to realize that I was serious and they dim them rather quickly.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen,

I stated I am driving it for work. Not a personal vehicle. Just something to work on and make better for those that can afford to buy one. ;) Which is not me at the moment. :D

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I stated I am driving it for work. Not a personal vehicle.

Irrelevant, Rich. It still kicks ****! When I sold at a Chevy dealership a few yrs back, and actually ended up on top of the sales board, I held the owner's feet to the fire with his offer of "winner gets choice of demo vehicle for a month". He seemed to have forgotten the recently traded-in ZR-1!!!!!! Yeah, baby!

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ooh. Ooh. Got another one.

The people who are lack the awareness to notice the little flashing arrow in their dashboard, and therefore drive with a turn signal blinking for miles and miles.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Ooh. Ooh. Got another one.

The people who are lack the awareness to notice the little flashing arrow in their dashboard, and therefore drive with a turn signal blinking for miles and miles.

Hahaha... I am *somewhat guilty* as it doesn't always turn off. However, for me it is never miles and miles, more like yards and yards. :D

Yes, that is definitely annoying.