Driving: Pet Peeves

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you drive, you have 'em. What are they?

I HATE someone driving slow in the passing lane right next to a car and won't move. When they finally do get past, they speed up faster than you intended to go in the first place, get next to another car, and slow down again. arrrgggg.

Another. (I have lots) People who merge onto a 65 mph expressway at 40 mph totally oblivious to the cars swerving into the left lane to get out of the way, or breaking hard to avoid slamming into them. (I invision my death from this one day).

C'mon, lemme hear 'em....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People who pull blindly in front of me then go 1/2 the speed that I am . I hate slamming on my breaks and hopeing the guy in back dose not hit me because of the idiot infront of me
people with a cell phone in one hand and a coffe,soda, etc in the other I always wonder what they are steering with
wemon or men putting eye makeup on while driveing

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
People who pull blindly in front of me then go 1/2 the speed that I am . I hate slamming on my breaks and hopeing the guy in back dose not hit me because of the idiot infront of me
people with a cell phone in one hand and a coffe,soda, etc in the other I always wonder what they are steering with
wemon or men putting eye makeup on while driveing
Absolutely! Or driving with their precious little poodle Fee Fee in their lap...

Cell phones was another one. I have a bumper sticker that says. "Guns don't kill people, poeple on cell phone kill people". One of the few good things NY did was ban those things. Almost every time I see someone do something monutentally stupid, they talking on one.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Absolutely! Or driving with their precious little poodle Fee Fee in their lap...

Cell phones was another one. I have a bumper sticker that says. "Guns don't kill people, poeple on cell phone kill people". One of the few good things NY did was ban those things. Almost every time I see someone do something monutentally stupid, they talking on one.

Those are both good. Speaking of having visions of dying in a car crash..I am going when somebody turns on their turning signal,slows down..I start to pass in the passing(right side) lane..and they take off again, That little scenario has played out more then once.It's almost an epidemic around here..oh,and they're usually talking on the phone.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately it has been getting behind someone driving through town at 5 miles an hour who then stop at a green light then making me get the red. Must be the time of day that the older or insecure people venture out. I have to turn and pick another route but we only have so many north south routes in town and then it gets out of my way. Just shoot me if I ever get this bad. Hey I could take the 55 alive test right now~hahahah~and get 10% off my insurance. It would cut the cost that we have to pay for our son driving. But if they force me to drive at anything less than the speed limit I think I would go crazy. TW

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That old guy in the hat, driving his Cadillac...

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate people who drive on the shoulder when traffic is backed up and then expect to be let back into traffic when they reach as far as they can go and those who get pissed off and honk at you when they are at fault.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
That old guy in the hat, driving his Cadillac...
Gawd! That's an expression I've used since I started driving. I thought "The hat" was just me! LMAO!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I live in the Senior Citizen state (aka "Sunshine State" or more commonly Florida). My peeves are as follows.

1. Drivers who enjoy their morning drive in the fast lane (left lane). These people will move from the right lane into the left because someone is on their butt. Rather than make them go around. Or they take the left and just drive like they should be on the right.

2. Drivers who are in the left lane who insist on not passing the slow truck in the right lane (afraid or something) thus making everyone drive through 13 gears worth of acceloration.

3. Drivers that abandon all common sense and rules of the road when it comes to turn through medians. Normally the rules of the road is stay right. Well here they decide that going left is the wiser choice. Just so that the two cars that are turning in opposite directions can both risk each other's lives by forcing each other to try and look through/around/over/under each other's vehicles to see oncoming traffic. If they would just go to the right, they would never have each other's vehicles as obstacles.

4. The overly friendly driver who is on a six lane road and decides that since the left lane is at a stop or crawl that he/she could be very nice and let that car that is waiting in the median, to turn. Never once thinking that the other two lanes are still full speed and they are baiting the unsuspecting driver into an accident. MORONS!

5. People who come to a 3-way or 4-way stop and insist that every other driver go.

6. Drivers who come to an intersection where the side streets have to stop and feel compelled to stop and let the waiting cars go.

7. The driver that insists on driving too close or simply just likes to get freaky with the brakes at the first sign of brake lights. Also those who drive to close to the car ahead and are constantly slamming on brakes.

8. The latest and last for now is.... Drivers that come to a red light and leave 3 car lengths of space in front of them, only to creep up every time they feel like the light is going to change.

Geesh, I can't think of any more right now. All I can say is, it is a damn good thing that we DON'T drive flying vehicles. With as many people that have such difficulty moving about in 2 dimensions, it is down right scary to think of the horror if they were allowed to fly vehicles over our heads.

9. OK one more.... Drivers who completely forget how to drive as soon as it starts raining.

Does anyone remember this...

mrmagoo.jpg

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Does anyone remember this...

mrmagoo.jpg
Uh yea, unfortunately I do. Just saw him earlier today as a matter of fact.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Lately it has been getting behind someone driving through town at 5 miles an hour who then stop at a green light then making me get the red.
I know and I swear that's a new thing. It's only the past year or two I've noticed that happens daily. They creep, then get the light. You get stuck. Really pisses me off.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
People that drive 55 in parking lots, get right up on your butt and start cursing because you are not doing the same.

People that park next to you and give you about 1 inch of room to get out of your door, even though you parked right in the middle of your slot.

stupid people that jaywalk WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC! We get that ALL the time at my school. drives me nuts!

I hate people who drive on the shoulder when traffic is backed up and then expect to be let back into traffic when they reach as far as they can go and those who get pissed off and honk at you when they are at fault.
I second that!

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The '88 honda civic with the 5" tennis ball launcher out the back, a 3 layer wing that weighs more than the car, and covered with NOZ stickers, that must prove his 120 hp car is fast by zipping up and down the side streets where my kids are playing.

The guy with the 1000 amp system making my teeth rattle from 4 cars away.

Switching gears. Parking lots.

The same car that needs to park on an angle blocking 3 spots so no one will scratch his rust.

People who park in handicap parking to save time.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The dim people driving with their parking lights on rather than just turning their lights on. I guess they're parking down the highway. I think they think it looks cool. I see it a lot on the sportier cars and trucks. Some people are even worse and don't turn any lights on when it's dark and rainy. Saw that a lot today.

The butt-heads that toss their cigarette butts out the window. It's okay to litter as long as it's done in smaller increments?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Return of the Snow birds!

Those that wait until the last minute to get into the left hand turn lane.

Those that get into it too soon and drive a mile in it, when 250 feet or so is sufficient.

The fact that my car is broken or any car I drive is broken. Becuase it seems every other car on the road can change lanes into the left land really fast to cut you off, but take a mile to change back into the left lane.

Lots more

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
crushing said:
The dim people driving with their parking lights on rather than just turning their lights on. I guess they're parking down the highway. I think they think it looks cool. I see it a lot on the sportier cars and trucks. Some people are even worse and don't turn any lights on when it's dark and rainy. Saw that a lot today.

I remember last year while dropping my son off to school being in a line of cars waiting at the stop and a cop comes by makes everyone roll down their window and yell that we have to turn our headlights on. Huh? It was morning 8ish but not dark nor rainy, nor were we in a funeral procession. Was he being cranky? TW

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The person who was trying to help the car on the left shoulder, who got there by jumping in front of me and then slamming on his brakes to stop on the shoulder... while traffic was moving 65+ mph.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Volvo drivers.

Tailgating especially with really bright headlights that you'd swear were full beam.

People not indicating and roundabouts, i can't read minds.

Driving miss daisy in the non crawler lanes of the motorway.

People taking forever to overtake you on the motorway and when they finally do they sink back to the speed they were doing before meaning you then have to overtake them.

People sat in the middle lane with cars accumilating behind them when the inside lane is clear, do they not see what is happening behind them or to the side of them?

And volvo drivers seem to be the culprits on most occasions for the above. And they tend to be blind because they have some weird suggestion of safety made to them by the stereo type of the volvo car.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
crushing said:
The dim people driving with their parking lights on rather than just turning their lights on. I guess they're parking down the highway. I think they think it looks cool.

Well this one I am guilty of (my car always has parking lights on) but I have a sensitivity to light so it will be nearly dark some days and I will still have my sunglasses on not realizing how dark it has gotten, especially on long trips where it started bright and got dark slowly, so I never turn on my regular lights....remember not all the annoying things on the road are done to piss off other drivers...

I hate it when motocycles drive in between the lanes in stopped traffic. While I recognize they have smaller vehicles and in many countries overseas you can do that, it always freaks me out cause they seem to come out of no where.