Does anyone have a specific diet?

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is what I want, I want it to be the first day of school I come into my classes and I've lost 30 lbs. and everyone's shocked.

Its 1 week till summer ends and I am hoping that in 3 months I can build some muscle and lose some fat.

I need to start running and I'm thinking tomorrow when I go to the rec again to work my arms I'm going to run, but is biking just as good? since I would rather bike then run.

Running just is to high impact.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carbon,

ON the diet thing, Paul said not to eat late
and to also eat 6-8 times a day. These are good
ideas. Also the Blood type diet has some good
chemistry behind the plan to back up its claims.
In the early 90's there was also another diet plan
I have tried to look up but I am unable to at
this time. Yet, it had to do with the type of
foods you eat. When you eat Protein, then eat
protein. When you eat carbs the eat carbs. When,
eat natural sugars AKA fruits and honey, then
eat your sugars. :)

The body is a natural chemical machine. If you
are digesting Proteins and Carbs and Sugars
all at the same time then the body will not
be as efficient. And when the body is not
efficient, it stores the food it breaks down into
fats.

Therefore, you could try to count your calories,
and to also target the foods according to your
blood type and also eat 6-8 times a day by eating
only one type of food a time. This will keep
your metabolism at a peak, it will also allow
the digestive track to work at a more productive
rate then just producing fats to be stored.

Just 2 cents worth from another 'Big' Guy.

Best Wishes

Rich
:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not eating late really helps. If you can move your big meal of the day to noon and take a lighter meal for your evening meal, that's even better. Eating more frequently but not more food is also good.

When you exercise does matter, as others have suggested, but that you exercise is the most important thing.

Expect that after a good-sized large loss it'll be harder to lose the weight--be prepared to keep going despite that. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it when this happens

Keep your eyes on the prize--you can do a lot in three months. Keep thinking about how happy that'll make you feel. Good luck.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons has some excellent points. I recently read a book entitled THE FOOD COMBINING/BLOOD TYPE DIET SOLUTION: A PERSONALIZED DIET PLAN AND COOKBOOK FOR EACH BLOOD TYPE, by Dina Khader, and Irene Toovey.

According to the authors, when you want to lose weight, do not combine carbs with protein at one sitting. If you mix carbs with protein, your body has to work harder to digest the food properly and consequently some will be converted to fat. Being that your body is working harder, one tends to get sleepy after such a meal.

I have found that when I exclude carbs from my mid-day meal, I generally have more energy than I would have if I combined protein and carbs - even if I have a "He-Man" serving of meat.

For maintenance, the authors say that food combining is okay if you exercise regularly.

Tyrone Turner
"Zujistsuka"
Queens, NY
www.TyroneTurner.com

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Girlychucks: I know, I'm such a dork. :boing1: I'm glad you didn't take me too seriously!;)

I've heard about the concept of not mixing carbs/protiens; but I've never really noticed that big of a difference for myself. That could be because between weight training and Martial Arts, my activity levels are real high. I have never heard of Marathon runners, Body Builders, or sports players with high activity levels trying to utilize this method. I think that it might be due to the reason that people with real high activity levels have a much higher caloric intake, and we usually have to mix carbs/protien to reach our normal levels.

If your activity levels are not way above normal, maybe not mixing carbs/protien in the same meal is a good method. I don't know. If anyone on this forum can refrence a scientific write-up on the subject, I'd like to check it out.

:cool:

S

sweeper

Rich Parsons - The body is a natural chemical machine. If you
are digesting Proteins and Carbs and Sugars
all at the same time then the body will not
be as efficient. And when the body is not
efficient, it stores the food it breaks down into
fats.

Zujitsuka - According to the authors, when you want to lose weight, do not combine carbs with protein at one sitting. If you mix carbs with protein, your body has to work harder to digest the food properly and consequently some will be converted to fat.

Unless I'm mistaken this is somewhat incorrect, when your body is more efficient you store fat. It isn't a lack of efficience that makes your body store fat when you combine fats/carbs/protiens it's the opposite. Your body can convert protiens to carbs and carbs to fats but when you ingest protiens and carbs for example it doesn't have to convert protiens to carbs so it is in effect more effiicient. When your body converst protiens/carbs/fats it takes up some energy in the process, it's my understanding that this is when fat storage comes into play, because you have a larger energy intake than needed relativly speaking.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper

Unless I'm mistaken this is somewhat incorrect, when your body is more efficient you store fat. It isn't a lack of efficience that makes your body store fat when you combine fats/carbs/protiens it's the opposite. Your body can convert protiens to carbs and carbs to fats but when you ingest protiens and carbs for example it doesn't have to convert protiens to carbs so it is in effect more effiicient. When your body converst protiens/carbs/fats it takes up some energy in the process, it's my understanding that this is when fat storage comes into play, because you have a larger energy intake than needed relativly speaking.

DOH! :eek:

My Engineering background has confused everyone
including myself - AGAIN :D

First, I would have to say from a survival stand
point and from a caloric stand point, the body
is more efficient when the body mixes Carbs and
proteins, et al. I will have to agree with your
comments and concerns.

On the other hand it is less efficient when you
are looking at the goal of the person who resides
in the body in question. If the goal is weight or
mass loss than the whole process is not efficient
for the owner of the body. The owner of the body
will have to do extra work to burn those calories.
The owner of the body will have to eat even less
to decrease the amount of calories the body
intakes.

So, I will not argue that I made a mistake. For
I did. I will also state that I did not make my
point clear, by communicating. :rofl:

I do apologize for my lack of proper terms and
for the confusion I have caused. I was looking
at it from the point of view (physicist not
biologist) of the work required from the owner
of the body, and there by the lack of efficiency
for the same caloric intake. With the goal being
weight loss. If the goal is not weight loss and your are looking at the survival of the species,
it extremely efficient.

:shrug:

Rich

Will you ever forgive me ???
:rolleyes:

S

sweeper

hmm.. does anyone know of any research on using biofeedback to reduce fat or decrease fat gain?

Just sort of a side question I thought would be interesting.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really appreciate this discussion because this is a topic that I'm pretty passionate about. Sweeper and Paul, I agree with you to a certain extent that one's body stores some fat when it is working at optimum levels - kind of like storing a reserve for lean times (like a camel's hump). But you're not saying that a lot of body fat is indicative of an efficient metabolism are you? If that is the case, I had an extremely efficient metabolism this time last year when I was 20+ lbs heavier.

I'm no doctor, but the info I gathered about the food combining theory says that protiens and starches require different enzymes to digest properly and when you combine them in one meal, both enzymes are released and they somewhat cancel each other out. So food is either not digested and your food leaves your body as waste or it is stored as fat. In either event, one's body is not getting the nutrients it needs to repair itself (i.e. develop muscle tissue, fight off microorganisms, etc.). It is therefore reasonable to conclude that one's body is not operating an an optimum level.

Perhaps these diets are not for everyone but they are certainly working for me. It doesn't even seem like a diet to me because I don't count calories or anything like that. I just avoid certain things. For instance, as a type O person, since I've limited certain starches like bread and pasta (semolina) from my diet I've been much better off. Dr. D'Adamo (blood type diet proponent) says that wheat products cause the release of histamines in type O's can cause allergic reactions resulting in asthma and certain auto-immune diseases like eczema and arthritis - all three of which have been significantly alleviated since I've limited wheat in my diet. I use to be on 7 (yes seven!) asthma medications and now I don't have to take any. My arthritis rarely bothers me and my skin is not chronically dry any longer.

I truly believe that most people dig their own graves with their teeth, and that folks would be better off if the watch what they eat and exercise regularly.

Here are two sites that may answer a lot of questions about the blood type diet and the food combining diet:

http://www.4yourtype.com

http://www.khadergroup.com

As JKDers say, "Absorb what is useful and leave the rest."

V

VampyrSoul2000

A sea food diet .. I see food I like, I eat it.

As with anything, just the right combination of food and exercise is good for anyone. Knowing how much to eat and what foods are good for you (or not good for you) is important.

Just don't have a milk shake before class ... not good.

D

Deathtrap101

haha, Carbon, i know exactly how you feel about the girl thing. Ive had a whole one girlfeind so far and it lasted maybe 3 weeks. But yea im gonna try and make a good lasting relationship this year. And dont you just hate it when you got a big crush on someone and they already have a boyfreind?? man that sucks....