Girlfriend doing Muay Thai sparring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least i know when i am being a dick. How many pages will it take to drive home the same message to you.

And no i am still not your girlfriend so i am not that keen to follow your instructions.

Might just do my own thing.
Wait, you know it??:D

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just got home from work so Ima rip my bong & forget bout y'all ;) Lol peace

You are literally the guy I used to be before I got back into martial arts training. Only I have to give my old self some credit, I wasn't that big of a douche. Take martial arts dude, learn some humility, learn some gender equality.

Grow up and become a better person.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagreeing with a joke, major sense of humour failure. :D:D:D:D

Headhunter, where do you keep your feather duster then?

If I said that 1% of the women in our society participate in contact martial arts, I would be way over-stating it, but in the interest of simple math, let's go with it.

I would say that in the UK the number of women in martial arts is far more than that, while it is still a majority of males, women make up quite a significant number of students. Boxing in particular has become popular for girls since the London Olympics and Nicola Adams in particular. Female pro boxing is shown on mainstream television here. Traditional martial arts have also held appeal for women and now WMMA has started, at long last and after a lot of work, some by yours truly, to be properly accepted.

I would have to say too that the majority of British women are far from traditional lol, probably better if the OP doesn't come and visit the UK. :p

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Josh -

If your girlfriend wants to do martial arts, that's her choice. She's done it before, she knows the risks. She can make an informed choice on her own. Don't stand in her way - support her.

There is a chance that she'll get hurt, sure. But unless the gym/school is full of ***holes, that won't be a common occurance. I've gotten hit in the face in martial arts plenty of times, and have never even had a black eye or nosebleed. Sprained ankles and bruises and the like, sure, that happens, but injuries that require surgery are very rare.

Let her make her own choice.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is too much to keep up with/not worth the time anymore since it's just insults towards me at this point. Thanks to those who gave me legit insight into what sparring is. For those who just wanna call me controlling and say she's gonna leave me, your advice is not welcome and your attitudes towards my questions have made me question why I even tried this. Enjoy your lil fight community. Just got home from work so Ima rip my bong & forget bout y'all ;) Lol peace
Josh no one here has insulted you...as yet. If your are insulted it is because you want to be.
You may not like what some one else has stated but if you take it as an insult then you insult yourself.

I advise you to do some training in Muay Thai with your girl.
See Muay Thai is about:
Respect,
Discipline,
Conditioning.

Respect for one another, for the arts, for the training, for the coaches, for those with greater knowledge & skill, and finally respect for self.
Discipline to learn, to train, to be open to those with greater skill and those who are lesser than you. Discipline to be a good partner so your training partners grow and in doing so you grow as well.
Conditioning of the mind to learn from all, the body to become stronger and fit, and the spirit to help other grow as you grow and to never give up in your endeavors.

Muay Thai is about being pressed to your greatest limits, physically & mentally. IF you stay in it you will become a better person (not that you are a bad person).
The small person grips and complains, the small person blames others for what is done or said. The strong just keeps moving forward.
There is much more to Muay Thai than physical fighting. It is about learning your greatest competition and hinderance is yourself.

You asked if it was controlling and when some opine it is you are defensive and even strike back in a one upmanship game calling them out for starting crap, calling them trolls, and other names. Instead how about discuss the difference of opinions don't knock others for it.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that in the UK the number of women in martial arts is far more than that, while it is still a majority of males, women make up quite a significant number of students. Boxing in particular has become popular for girls since the London Olympics and Nicola Adams in particular. Female pro boxing is shown on mainstream television here. Traditional martial arts have also held appeal for women and now WMMA has started, at long last and after a lot of work, some by yours truly, to be properly accepted.

I would have to say too that the majority of British women are far from traditional lol, probably better if the OP doesn't come and visit the UK. :p

Not really my point, but okay and good on ya. I in fact don't have statistics and pulled a number out ofthin air.

The point being that if he passionately engaged in some activity that she felt was unbecoming of her ideal of a man, her friend or a therapist or someone might point out to her that she might be better off going back to the dating pool for someone closer to her own sensibilities.

I find the differences in people wonderful and exciting, but that's just one way to look at it. I can't see her trading in her gloves and mouthpiece for a Laura Ashley dress.

She deserves someone who is comfortable with what makes her her and he could easily find a girlier girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions